Speaker ?

• Members

I am looking at replacing our FOH tops with something a little less cumbersome. We currently have EV Eliminator i double 15", I want to switch to Yamaha clubs because of size and weight. The price is pretty good and these seem to be the speakers everyone recommends in this price range. I am not apposed to getting some else a little more expensive if the sound is better, so feel free to chime in on other brands close to this price range.

Will I lose anything going to the Yamaha from the EV's?

• Members

If looking for unpowered speakers, the JBL MRX is tough to beat and lighter, more compact and sound better IMO too.

You might consider a real upgrade and go w/ new powered speakers, PRX or QSC K or KW. Time to get away from dual 15's unless you plan on spending some real money for good stuff. Do you have subs (yet)?

• Members

We do but they are being replaced also.

I am back and forth with powered speakers or passive.

I think powered I'm going with the RCF312 and PRX or Yorkie Subs

Passive I would guess the MRX would be my top choice

I was just thinking about something small and cheapish for now because we don't have a trialer yet. Actually something small, cheapish that can be turned into a monitor once the new FOH is purchased at tax time.

• Members

We do but they are being replaced also.

I am back and forth with powered speakers or passive.

I think powered I'm going with the RCF312 and PRX or Yorkie Subs

Passive I would guess the MRX would be my top choice

I was just thinking about something small and cheapish for now because we don't have a trialer yet. Actually something small, cheapish that can be turned into a monitor once the new FOH is purchased at tax time.

There's nothing good that's cheapish. Do yourself a favor and buy quality even if it's used. Your music and fans will both thank you.

• Members

If you like the EV sound, you might want to look at the new Tour X line for both tops and subs. These will sound better than the Yamaha Clubs and only cost just a bit more. I use the monitors and really like them. I went from Clubs to TX monitors and it was a bigger improvement than I thought it would be, plus they are small and not too heavy.

• Members

I checked out the single 15 Eliminator years back. That is a great speaker for its time. Very heavy though. I thought the Eliminator was heads over the Yamaha Club. I ended up with the JBL MPro415 which is a great speaker and IMO much better than than both the Club series and the Eliminator. The yamaha Club is good for what it is but a step backwards for you.

The MRX series replaced the MPro series and would be something I would look into in a passive speaker.

I just got a pait of EV SxA360's ( the powered version of the 300) and this is a great sounding speaker and a great weight (35 lbs)

I would give a close look at those RCF's for those prices. Skip the Clubs.

Archived