Bose 802 vs Wharfedale Titan or other

• Members

These were Series II which were MUCH more efficient than the originals - but I don't remember the numbers. I do remember having to go up a fuse size on them :freak: . Both CS800's usually spent the last set with the DDT lights solidly on but no-one ever complained about them not being loud enough in the ~300 ppl clubs hereabouts. The lead guitarist had a 50w non-master Marshall half-stack and it kept up with that just fine :cool: .

EDIT> looked it up, full space rating:

"The loudspeaker system sensitivity shall

be 99dB-SPL in the 300Hz

• Members

Also, I recall the spec. measurements being 1/2-space which would account for another 4 or 5dB practical difference if my memory is correct. 89dB/1W/1M is what I recall.

That is what the originals were I think. Series II were:

http://www.walkersound.co.uk/PDF/Bose_802_MkII.pdf

Unfortunately that doesn't specify full or half space but the Series III are supposed to be mostly the same and specify "in an anechoic environment" :

http://www.bose.com/pdf/professional/802III_techdata.pdf

We crossed over from the subs at 250hz I think and there isn't that much power up above 3k so the 99db/1w/1m in full space wasn't that far off IME. We actually had some 3x Motorola piezo boxes that could sit on top and then we didn't have to use the Bose EQ but I don't remember that getting things any louder ...

• Members

I can guarantee that they weren't 99dB/1W/1M in freespace. No freekin' way. and when you average in the below and above midband sensitivity you will lose at least another 6dB.

This is a case where I do not believe the paperwork as presented or there is an error or missing information which is misleading the real data.

I would maybe believe a mid-band sensitivity in 1/2-space of 99dB/1W/1M and 92 or 93dB/1W/1M broad band average perhaps. There's a {censored}load of correction eq in the controller. A proverbial {censored}load.

• Members

I can guarantee that they weren't 99dB/1W/1M in freespace. No freekin' way. and when you average in the below and above midband sensitivity you will lose at least another 6dB.

This is a case where I do not believe the paperwork as presented or there is an error or missing information which is misleading the real data.

I would maybe believe a mid-band sensitivity in 1/2-space of 99dB/1W/1M and 92 or 93dB/1W/1M broad band average perhaps. There's a {censored}load of correction eq in the controller. A proverbial {censored}load.

Hello agedhorse, what speakers would you recommend?

• Members

I'll agree that if you try to get much below 300hz from them you will eat up all your amp power. As I said using the EQ to "flatten" then up to 16K didn't seem to affect their output. They really did make great sounding mid cabs with two per side.

There's a {censored}load of correction eq in the controller. A proverbial {censored}load.

Nothin' proverbial about it :lol: . BTW I've worked with engineers that worked at Bose - you wouldn't believe the profit margin in their products :eek: !

• Members

the EV sxa are good sounding speakers, but i am concerned that the 100 may not go low enough or be loud enough.

i'd say from personal experience that the sxa100 sounds better than a eon500 but is not as versatile or loud, in fact the eon515 is a lot louder. others may have different opinions.

• Members

I'll agree that if you try to get much below 300hz from them you will eat up all your amp power. As I said using the EQ to "flatten" then up to 16K didn't seem to affect their output.

Use it to flatten down to 60Hz and you will lose ~75% of your normalized power.

• Members

All I know about those Bose 802's are they were pretty popular in CA. until the late 70's. They were hyped as being portable and good sounding, which they were for, vocals and acoustic instruments only. You HAD to use the equalizer that came with them or they sounded awful. I think they worked best for quiet, acoustic type acts like folk, small jazz bands ( trios ), bluegrass, that sorta stuff. Nothing that needed bass run through them or higher volume. Even a pair with a decent amp didn't get the vocals loud enough for an average club band. I haven't seen them used anywhere for the last 30 yrs.

Archived