SPL Meter

• Members
I'm sure some of you use these. I was wanting to know if you use them to get the mains at a certian level and the subs at a certian level? Also what is the main reason you use them? Thanks

I use them to see how loud things are. And why wouldn't you want you sub volume to be similar to your full range volume?

• Members

I use them to see how loud things are. And why wouldn't you want you sub volume to be similar to your full range volume?

We do want the sub volume about the same. Thats why I asked that question. Could you use the spl to get them close to the same. We have a amp for the subs and a amp for the mains. We use a A&H Mix Wiz3 16:2. We use the Main fader and aux 6 option to control the subs.

• Members

Who makes a SPL meter that reads above 130db? The reason I ask is I was at the Pomona drags a couple of weeks ago and wanted to see what the top fuelers were measuring when the passed by. My Droid SPL meter was at 118 db when they were idleing at the start line and I was more than halfway down the track.

• Members
Who makes a SPL meter that reads above 130db? The reason I ask is I was at the Pomona drags a couple of weeks ago and wanted to see what the top fuelers were measuring when the passed by. My Droid SPL meter was at 118 db when they were idleing at the start line and I was more than halfway down the track.

I was standing back in the burnout area when a top-fueler took off once. I was loud! Also was about 30' away from an old war cannon when they shot it off. Wow!

• Members
We do want the sub volume about the same. Thats why I asked that question. Could you use the spl to get them close to the same. We have a amp for the subs and a amp for the mains. We use a A&H Mix Wiz3 16:2. We use the Main fader and aux 6 option to control the subs.

I'd just dial in the low end so it sounds balanced with the rest of the frequencies, since you'd want to use your ears anyway, even after adjusting them with an analyzer, or similar.

• Members

Many SPL meters are not accurate indicating on frequencies below 100Hz or above 8kHz regardless of the compensation weighting curve. Beware if planning on using any SPL meter for balancing subs to the rest of the system.

That was what I needed to know. I just didn't know if it would be worth buying one. Thanks

• Members

I simply use a meter to have some sort of guide to how loud things are getting. After a few hours or more of bands it gets hard. I look at the meter, take a reading and go from there. Either levels are getting pushed and I have not noticed (apart from the desk level meters) due to my ear fatigue or things are going along just fine. Longer shows I like to take a bit of reading, just for reference. Saying that, I seem to have made use of it for every band for some time now. I think I like it as it is just another toy, or shall I say tool:)

I do not use it to create a mix with subs.

I should also be wearing my ear plugs muuuuuuuuuuch more often!

Archived