Rock on audio limiter

• Members

I just found out about this product recently. We use a wired monitoring system and I want to add a limiter to my signal chain for reasons we all know. Has anyone here used this? Is this limiter of good enough quality to protect ears? It says that if you open up the box you can alter the threshold, but it does not explain in detail what needs to be done.

http://www.rockonaudio.com/limiter.php

• Members

Protecting your ears is a function of how loud you run the system. A limiter just sets that level, which can still be too loud.

That said there is a built-in limiter in all systems ... it's called clipping (not that I'm recommending that). So how loud can your system get just before it clips? It's also a function of the efficiency of your earpieces. How are you going to know what level to set the limiter to?

It would seem to me that some other limiter that has an easier way to adjust the threshold might be a better choice.

• Members

Seems to me that many folks buy a calibrated system (body pack + earphones) then immediately buy different earphones that are more efficient because the stock ones aren't "loud enough" (and/or "mod" the bodypack) thereby bypassing the safe SPL limit of the system :freak:. The "Rock On" is a great idea but without having any adjustability (?) and/or supplied earphones isn't particularly "safe". Nor are they any worse than the bastardized systems many folks run :freak:.

• Members

Depends on where in the chain the limiter is. If it is after the pack's level control, it indeed might limit at a higher level than is safe. If it's before the pack's level control, it can work - just adjust the aux level until it taps the limiter, then back off - then adjust the pack volume. (Unfortunately, so far all I've seen are post-level control limiters - which makes this post moot.)

Archived