What's the difference in sound between the QSC K12 and QSC KW122 and JBL PRX612M?

• Members

The K12 is not in the same class as the KW or PRX. The difference between the KW and PRX is totally subjective. Both are very good cabs. Which is better is a personal choice for the owners ears.

So for $100 dollars less birch enclosure JBL sounds better than the QSC K12.

What I'm talking about is the clarity of the frequencies. How does the $699 JBL do against the $1099 QSC KW122 in clairity?

• Members

I have been auditioning speakers and combing forums for this information for the last couple of weeks. Here is what I have gathered.

The KW122 and K12 differ in the cabinet design and perhaps the processing inside the box (although I can't say for sure on the latter). In KW, the "W" stands for "wood".

It seems pretty much agreed that the JBL is a better speaker than the K12, and on par with the KW122, so I will do pro's and con's just for the KW122 and PRX612m

Measurement ---------------- KW122 -------- PRX612m----- Conclusion

Price ------------------------- $1100 --------- $700 --------- PRX is a better value

Max SPL --------------------- 131db --------- 134db -------- PRX is better loud than the QSC

Weight ----------------------- 49lbs --------- 34.5lbs ------- PRX is lighter

Mixer Section ------------------------------------------------- QSC has 2 input mixer and RCA input, PRX is more simple

Sound Quality ------------------------------------------------ Without a mixer, some like the enhanced bottom of the QSC. With a mixer, the high end output of the PRX makes it better.

In my application (I will always have a mixer even for a small gig so I can adjust my channel eq to color my tone myself), the $400/speaker difference and higher output of the PRX makes it a winner for me (so far).

For some reason, the GC people tend to favor the K12/KW112 over the JBL while most sound professionals clearly prefer the JBL over the K12 and give it even billing to the QSC KW122.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Im wondering if the KW will sound that much different than the K box. Same components as the K other than the box. Sure the wooden box will have a different tone but for the most should be simular.

Myself, I would like to hear the Yamaha and the PRX side by side. The DSR is supposed to have a highend processing called FIR.

• Members

I have been auditioning speakers and combing forums for this information for the last couple of weeks. Here is what I have gathered.

The KW122 and K12 differ in the cabinet design and perhaps the processing inside the box (although I can't say for sure on the latter). In KW, the "W" stands for "wood".

It seems pretty much agreed that the JBL is a better speaker than the K12, and on par with the KW122, so I will do pro's and con's just for the KW122 and PRX612m

Price ------------------------- $1100 --------- $700 --------- PRX is a better value

Max SPL --------------------- 131db --------- 134db -------- PRX is better loud than the QSC

Mixer Section ------------------------------------------------- QSC has 2 input mixer and RCA input, PRX is more simple

Sound Quality ------------------------------------------------ Without a mixer, some like the enhanced bottom of the QSC. With a mixer, the high end output of the PRX makes it better.

In my application (I will always have a mixer even for a small gig so I can adjust my channel eq to color my tone myself), the $400/speaker difference and higher output of the PRX makes it a winner for me (so far).

For some reason, the GC people tend to favor the K12/KW112 over the JBL while most sound professionals clearly prefer the JBL over the K12 and give it even billing to the QSC KW122.

Hope this helps.

Great comparison and thank you.

• Members

Im wondering if the KW will sound that much different than the K box. Same components as the K other than the box. Sure the wooden box will have a different tone but for the most should be simular.

Myself, I would like to hear the Yamaha and the PRX side by side. The DSR is supposed to have a highend processing called FIR.

I would like to know more about the new Yamaha DSR112.

• Members

I would like to know more about the new Yamaha DSR112.

You and me both ;)

I haven't heard the box myself yet, and there isn't that much on the web about them. The other dark horse is the Mackie HD1221, but I am prejudiced to the word "Mackie" and "Speaker" being used in the same sentence ;)

• Members

And how about adding the new Peavey Impulse 12D:

~ $799

~ "1200 watts"

~ Ribbon tweater

~ 5 years parts/labor warranty

~ 39 pounds

~ Plastic enclosure

~ 2 independently mixed inputs with level and mic/line switch

~ 90 x 30 coverage

Peavey says:

"A Woofer Servo circuit monitors back-EMF and controls cone motion, ensuring the cone's movement mirrors the driving signal from the power amp, and resulting in very low distortion, high power handling and rock-solid low-frequency attack. The advanced new ribbon driver

• Members

I suppose extra input options makes them suitable for bingo callin' and backyard parties but personally I'd rather have a single line level XLR with no gain knob. All that other crap is just stuff you need to check didn't get bumped in a "real" sound gig :( .

• Members

I suppose extra input options makes them suitable for bingo callin' and backyard parties but personally I'd rather have a single line level XLR with no gain knob. All that other crap is just stuff you need to check didn't get bumped in a "real" sound gig
:(

I agree with this. What I like about the JBL PRX612M is the birch enclosure puts it on par with the QSC KW122.

Not a lot of bells and whistles, but the stuff that is important is what matters in a live performance.

• Members

I'm probably about to pull the trigger on a couple of PRX612m's to use for mains as soon as I sell my PRX535's. I'll give some feedback on the forum after some use.

From what I've been able to find regarding reviews online, all of these speakers are pretty good with the Mackie HD's actually getting glowing reviews on their sound quality, but all the reports of failures are sure to scare a lot of buyers away including myself.

As a current PRX user I can attest they are workhorses and at 34lbs I'm excited about being able to easily put a 612 up on a stand myself. Can't do that with the 535's even though they are light for their size.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

I suppose extra input options makes them suitable for bingo callin' and backyard parties but personally I'd rather have a single line level XLR with no gain knob. All that other crap is just stuff you need to check didn't get bumped in a "real" sound gig .

Well, how about the mic volume on the QSC- does that automatically disqualify it? And as many on this forum has pointed out, the solo performer often appreciates having some mixing capability on board, and 2 inputs is pretty sweet.

The real question is how do they sound? Can they compete with the wood boxes at this price point?

Peavey wrote:

A module bay allows for future expansion including Wireless I/O, Delay/Time Adjustment, Mixer Expander, Ethernet I/O and more.

No love for these decidedly pro capabilities?

• Members

I'm probably about to pull the trigger on a couple of PRX612m's to use for mains as soon as I sell my PRX535's. I'll give some feedback on the forum after some use.

From what I've been able to find regarding reviews online, all of these speakers are pretty good with the Mackie HD's actually getting glowing reviews on their sound quality, but all the reports of failures are sure to scare a lot of buyers away including myself.

As a current PRX user I can attest they are workhorses and at 34lbs I'm excited about being able to easily put a 612 up on a stand myself. Can't do that with the 535's even though they are light for their size.

Do you have a link to people having issues with the reliability of the Mackie HD?

And how about adding the new Peavey Impulse 12D:

~ $799

~ "1200 watts"

~ Ribbon tweater

~ 5 years parts/labor warranty

~ 39 pounds

~ Plastic enclosure

~ 2 independently mixed inputs with level and mic/line switch

~ 90 x 30 coverage

I am not familiar with the ribbon tweeter. How does this compare with the titanium dome compression drivers found in other speakers?

I have heard complaints on the rating of these speakers. Like others in this price range and generation, I suspect we are looking at an SPL >130db so the "Wattage" rating doesn't really matter. I would like to hear them before I would consider them and I haven't heard anyone giving them personal rave reviews yet .... but then they are pretty new.

Hope someone can give us a personal review soon :)

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

Well, how about the mic volume on the QSC- does that automatically disqualify it? And as many on this forum has pointed out, the solo performer often appreciates having some mixing capability on board, and 2 inputs is pretty sweet.

The real question is how do they sound? Can they compete with the wood boxes at this price point?

Peavey wrote:

I'm interested in a Peavey Impulse 12D comparison to the QSC K12.

I'll bet it sounds great.

• Members
Well, how about the mic volume on the QSC- does that automatically disqualify it?

Didn't say anything about "disqualification", just annys me to have a volume control on the XLR line input

And as many on this forum has pointed out, the solo performer often appreciates having some mixing capability on board, and 2 inputs is pretty sweet.

Two never seems to be enough - four might be :) .

My wish would be to make the input panel swappable between a "pro" one input no volume control one and a four input mixer. The rest of that crap will be nice if they ever ship it - it's all vaporware at this point :( .

• Members

Hope this helps.

I compared the PRX615 to the KW151 and found the KW to be clearer and more articulate sounding at nominal to mid volume levels. The more you cranked the volume up; however, the better the PRX sounded over the KW. When at near clipping volume levels, the PRX sounded better and at clipping volumes, the PRX definitely sounded better as the KW's limiter bottoms out and sort of breaks up or squashes the sound. (I don't recommend running into clipping). I know the limiting on the PRX's is VERY smooth because I used to own the PRX635's.

You should compare for yourself and post your conclusion.

• Members

Reggie - I read your posts on PSW about your PRX635's both going into thermal shutdown. I was the guy who wrote back saying my 535's had cut out a few times but only while being pushed hard on a generator.

I can't remember the whole post but were you ever able to recreate the scenario again? I have read another review about the amps getting hot but haven't heard about any other failures. Since I'm thinking about getting these 612's and they will be used in a rock band setting and will be push hard at times I'm trying to do my due diligence before buying.

BTW, what speakers did you end up getting after taking back the 635's?

• Members

In the video they never go into how the speakers sound different from one another. Only the features. Even if you read the comments for the video everyone is talking about how they like the handle on the JBL best and the rubber feet on the QSC best.

I play in a rock band and I really don't care about those things. I want to know how the midrange, etc. sounds in each box.

I had previously watched this video as well and noticed the same thing. Features ... yes, sound ... no!

The QSC's have a very interesting and flexible input / mixer setup on them; however, I would never dream of doing even a solo gig without a small mixer at least (one with a channel eq).

Furthermore, it seems to me that in the 700-1200 range of speakers, you are already starting to limit your market to "fairly serious" musicians who are all going to be interested in how the speakers sound, durability, and weight much more than a rudimentary mix section and enhanced bass and treble buttons (that can be better achieved with an offboard eq and/or channel eq).

Then again, I don't sell speakers for a living ;)

Archived