What's the difference in sound between the QSC K12 and QSC KW122 and JBL PRX612M?

• Members

A volume control is the ONE ESSENTIAL feature on any powered box. It allows you to adjust input sensitivity for different applications, and if you need outfills that are 3dB lower volume than the mains (for example) but the same program bus thenlink to the mains and drop the input sensitivity by 3dB.

BTW, all of the real pro powered boxes have input sensitivity controls... all the way up the foodchain.

• Members

I believe someone covered this but .... when comparing speakers in a store you don't usually get to optimize them. You've usually got one parameter that fits all.

Case in point. I just purchased two used Yorkville E210's. Great boxes for monitors or spoken word. Anyway I thought I would do a little A/B with my Yorkville Unity U15's, my EX401's, my E354's, and NX350's.

With the exception of the U15's (which subjectively sounded better) I could get the rest of the boxes to sound reasonably close (granted at a moderate volume), by means of tweaking EQ. FWIW I ranked them U15, e210, E354, EX 401, and NX350 - but again that ranking would all depend on application and intended purpose (monitor use, FOH use, lecture hall or ???).

So even a side by side can fool you. Sometimes you need to take the car out of the dealership and drive it up and down a mountain to really know what it can do.

• Members

I had previously watched this video as well and noticed the same thing. Features ... yes, sound ... no!

The QSC's have a very interesting and flexible input / mixer setup on them; however, I would never dream of doing even a solo gig without a small mixer at least (one with a channel eq).

Furthermore, it seems to me that in the 700-1200 range of speakers, you are already starting to limit your market to "fairly serious" musicians who are all going to be interested in how the speakers sound, durability, and weight much more than a rudimentary mix section and enhanced bass and treble buttons (that can be better achieved with an offboard eq and/or channel eq).

Then again, I don't sell speakers for a living
;)

The inputs might be nice for some but I also agree about using a mixer. A last minute gig popped up for me last night (Solo) and I brought just one K8 and a ZED12FX (times like that I wish I had the 10FX) and there is no way I could get the sound I had without a mixer.

(My daughter's Ipod loves those rca jacks though!)

• Members

The inputs might be nice for some but I also agree about using a mixer. A last minute gig popped up for me last night (Solo) and I brought just one K8 and a ZED12FX (times like that I wish I had the 10FX) and there is no way I could get the sound I had without a mixer.

(My daughter's Ipod loves those rca jacks though!)

That is certainly my position. I would never go without a small mixer. Even your daughter's iPod would likely be well served by the channel eq before having the signal go to the speaker IMHO ;)

• Members

I compared the PRX615 to the K
W
151 and found the KW to be clearer and more articulate sounding at nominal to mid volume levels. The more you cranked the volume up; however, the better the PRX sounded over the KW. When at near clipping volume levels, the PRX sounded better and at clipping volumes, the PRX
definitely
sounded better as the KW's limiter bottoms out and sort of breaks up or squashes the sound. (I don't recommend running into clipping). I know the limiting on the PRX's is VERY smooth because I used to own the PRX635's.

This is very close to my experience running a comparison between the K12 and the PRX12. I thought at low to mid volume, the K12 definitely sounded better. As the volume was pushed, however, the JBL sounded better than the K12. I did not push them to limit as the GC sales rep finally made me turn it down. That's the problem, hard to find a place where you can give the products a good side by side test. Overall though, I was very impressed with both speakers.

• Members

Even your daughter's iPod would likely be well served by the channel eq before having the signal go to the speaker IMHO
;)

My ZED in my daughter's hands??? Not happening. Besides she wouldn't want the complication.

• Members

My ZED in my daughter's hands??? Not happening. Besides she wouldn't want the complication.

LOL. I get your point ;)

I was thinking more along the line of a small Behringer ;) I hadn't heard of A&H's ZED series until a recent thread. I looked them up .... nice little mixer :)

• Members

Reggie - I read your posts on PSW about your PRX635's both going into thermal shutdown. I was the guy who wrote back saying my 535's had cut out a few times but only while being pushed hard on a generator.

I can't remember the whole post but were you ever able to recreate the scenario again? I have read another review about the amps getting hot but haven't heard about any other failures. Since I'm thinking about getting these 612's and they will be used in a rock band setting and will be push hard at times I'm trying to do my due diligence before buying.

BTW, what speakers did you end up getting after taking back the 635's?

Yes, this sound shutdown happened 2 days in a row. The speaker was on but the sound went away. I turned it off and immediately back on but no sound. After leaving the speaker off for 4 or more minutes and powering it back up, the sound came back. This happened several times on both speakers on both nights. Never any red light limiting (no where close), no distorted signal in the path (NS7 and Yamaha mixer), gain sensitivity knob started at 9 o'clock and I could not go past 11 o'clock w/o the sound dying.

I haven't gotten a replacement speaker yet so I still have my ZXa5's for tops. I'm gonna keep my ZXa's and go passive for big gigs getting the EV QRX212/75's. I'll need to use folding scaffolding to get 'em up high but these paired with my Danley TH-118's will be my high powered sound solution.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

As many have mentioned before me in this thread, I have been searching for comparisons and reviews between the various 12" & 15" powered boxes. I recently was able to demo a K10, K12, EON 515, EON G2 (15"), PRX512m and just for fun a Meyer Sound CQ-1. All speakers were tested with no EQ either from the mixer or onboard (if available). Since I currently own a pair of G2s, I started with those as a reference point. I then went to EON 515 and was amazed at how much better the G2 sounded. A little fiddling with the EQ on the 515 helped but it still did not sound as clear as the G2. Next I went to the K10 (the seller recommended adding the K10 to the mix because he prefers the wider 90 degree horizontal pattern over the K12's 75 degree) and was quite impressed with not only the volume but the ability to produce some pretty decent lows, especially if the "deep" setting is used. Then I went to the K12s and was very impressed with the overall presence of this speaker. The biggest disappointment was the PRX512. In doing an A/B with the K12s, it almost sounded like the JBL unit had a blanket over it. The QSC's were sparklingly clear by comparison and the hands down winner, even after hearing the Meyer Sound rig (lots of mid range without the upper and lower frequency punch of the QSCs. I wish they had had a KW122 there because I really wanted to hear it against the K12. This particular seller does a lot of rental business and prefers the durability of the "plastic" boxes over wood, but basically said the lows and mid lows were slightly more pronounced with the KW122. Whether or not the it's worth the difference in price is up to your own ears! I decided to go for a pair of K12s and a KW181 sub to start with and will eventually get a pair of the KW153s for mains and use the K12s for monitors.

• Members

I have used the CQ's many times and they obliterate the other speakers you have listed here. It's not even a contest. I also like the PRX-512 over the K12 but that's a MUCH closer comparison.

I wonder if you have checked your hearing recently? I suspect that maybe you have some high frequency damage and loss causing you to prefer the brighter speaker. I have seen this enough times to recommend that you get your hearing checked. If you find that you do have HF loss, consider this is a good wake-up call to do a better job of protecting your ears.

Archived