Guys, I need help selecting bass and guitar FX processors

• Members

THAT, is what I need. Something practical, and usable for gigging or recording. Are your guys having to fiddle with knobs while playing? Or is this a "set-it-once" solution, with quick access to pre-sets or saved samples?

Guitar player has maybe 3 main patches he uses with "solo boosts" for each and then a few "special effects" patches like a wah. All patches are leveled with my help. If he adds anything new we dial it in best we can and I try and listen to it during the show to fine tune. Best part of using these things though is that once it's set it's easy to keep consistent show after show. Is it as good as a tube amp? No.... but we aren't cutting an album every weekend, we're playing live where the subtle difference isn't going to be heard over din of a bar or wedding crowd.

• Members

We have a gt-10, and a hd-500. I think the hd is easier to program using the computer. You can do a ton of things with them, mine is set up with 4 amp presets, with 4 fx in each "amp" pre-set. This is all available with a single button, bank changes are a piece of cake also. The sounds were pretty easy to get very good. We spent 20-30 minutes and were pretty darn good. One of these days we may tweek some more, but it is pretty darn good right now. The gt-10 sounds very nice also, but I don't think it is quite as easy to set-up. I have a couple of tube amps, (Mesa Recto, and a Fender Tone-master) and they sound better, but the average patron just wont care. All-in-all, I am very happy with both units.

• Members

Update;

Well, I may have found a good deal all around. Tonight, I spoke to a gentleman who has a Pod X3 Live for sale. Turns out you can run a guitar and an electric bass through this processor, simultaneously.

His asking price seems decent, and he has the original packaging and power-supply, but no manual. I presume I can download the manual from Line 6's site.

I've read pretty good reviews on the X3 Live, and it seems that some who switched to the Line 6 HD 500 actually saw it as a backward move. Hmmmm.

Does anybody here own the X3 Live? I'm just wondering what comes with the unit when you buy it new. Is there any software that comes with it?

• Members

The other guitar player in my band uses the X3 and it sounds good and seems pretty flexible. There is editing software fo it too but I use a digitech GSP1101 so I don't know where to get the software. Probably download it for free from their site.

• Members

I'm having second thought this morning.:facepalm: I'm supposed to meet the seller in a few hours, and I've been cramming/studying the on-line user guide, and this device strikes me as being way too complicated for practical/quick access. Also, I can't see how it would be possible to play two instruments simultaneously, unless at least one of the instruments is from the Variax family. Hmmmm.

Archived