Guys, I need help selecting bass and guitar FX processors

• Members

I'm lost. No,,, overwhelmed is more like it.:facepalm:

I've been looking for FX processors, so we can plug electric guitars and bass, directly into the PA (home rehearsals only). I've looked at so many, that I'm really overwhelmed by the options. In frustration, I'm thinking of buying A B.O.S.S. GT-10 for guitar, and a B.O.S.S. GT-10b for bass.

These units are probably total overkill for what we want to do, but my current thinking is, buy these units "used", and cover as many sonic possibilities as possible. If it doesn't work out, I can always resell them later. What say you?

Basically, I'm looking for FX units that have amp/cab simulations. I'd especially like to find a unit for bass, that has some great acoustic bass sounds.

Thanks,

Bob

• Members
I'm lost. No,,, overwhelmed is more like it.
:facepalm:

I've been looking for FX processors, so we can plug electric guitars and bass, directly into the PA (home rehearsals only). I've looked at so many, that I'm really overwhelmed by the options. In frustration, I'm thinking of buying A B.O.S.S. GT-10 for guitar, and a B.O.S.S. GT-10b for bass.

These units are probably total overkill for what we want to do, but my current thinking is, buy these units "used", and cover as many sonic possibilities as possible. If it doesn't work out, I can always resell them later. What say you?

Basically, I'm looking for FX units that have amp/cab simulations. I'd especially like to find a unit for bass, that has some great acoustic bass sounds.

Thanks,

Bob

Line 6 seems to be the most common used for direct in appraoch.
It's got your amp sim and speaker sim. plus guitar FX same with bass unit.

• Members
Line 6 seems to be the most common used for direct in appraoch.

It's got your amp sim and speaker sim. plus guitar FX same with bass unit.

Actually, I just missed a Line6 Pod X3 Live. I suppose I'd buy pretty well any decent FX unit, as long as the price is reasonable. Most of the guys up here, are looking to recoup their original purchase-price, minus the taxes.

I've looked at a ton of boxes lately, even the inexpensive Digitech RP units, like the RP255, and the BP80. I don't play bass, and I rarely play electric guitar, so I have very little experience sorting this stuff out. To be honest, we'd probably use very little of these units' capacity.

I'd like a hi-quality reverb, chorus, delay, and over-drive/distortion for the guitar. I can do without the gimmicky FX's that sound like something from a science-fiction movie. :facepalm:

One of my buddies, who's a very busy performing musician, uses a very simple DigiTech RP255, and he says that box pretty well gives him everything he needs. Up here, it's $179. new. The Line6 500HD, and GT-10, are running around $499.-$550.

I must have looked at over 100 Youtube videos this weekend, and many/most of the videos spent more time tweeking parameters, than showing how the pre-sets sounded. Lots of metal-heads too.

Anybody here familiar with the rack-mount units, like the Pod X3 pro?

• Members

I run a Pod X3 Live. I'd recommend it to anyone who asks this question. The programming can be a bit tedious, but on stage it's fantastic. IIRC, there's a new model out... might be worth looking into as well.

Hey don't some of these unit come with a a usb port and software now a days?

I think Bobby would be better off going the Line 6 route because my route requires

a lot CPU horse power for realtime application and not sure how much CPU horse power he has.

• Members

...I must have looked at over 100 Youtube videos this weekend, and many/most of the videos spent more time tweeking parameters...

First off, with full disclosure, I am a tube guy through and through when it comes to my guitar amps. However I have used a few modellers and multi-FX units through the years. I know that the current generation of them are much better than the previous generation of 'em. All that being said...

In my experience with every one of these is that they get close to the sound you're looking for. Annoyingly close. So you sit down to practice, and you listen, and you think, "well I can get this a little closer". So you tweek a knob here and there. The next day you sit down to practice and you say to yourself, "this is close, maybe I can get it a little better" and you start tweeking knobs again... and this happens day in and day out. Personally, I found that it was interfering with what little practice time I had.

• Members

First off, with full disclosure, I am a tube guy through and through when it comes to my guitar amps. However I have used a few modellers and multi-FX units through the years. I know that the current generation of them are much better than the previous generation of 'em. All that being said...

In my experience with every one of these is that they get close to the sound you're looking for. Annoyingly close. So you sit down to practice, and you listen, and you think, "well I can get this a little closer". So you tweek a knob here and there. The next day you sit down to practice and you say to yourself, "this is close, maybe I can get it a little better" and you start tweeking knobs again... and this happens day in and day out. Personally, I found that it was interfering with what little practice time I had.

As far as tube amps go, I have a Mesa-Boogie Mk.III Combo Signature Edition (#87 of only 100 made). I've also got a Mesa-Boogie B-400 head with twin 15" road-cab. Both are awesome in their own right, but I'm also looking for a set-up that'll keep room-noise at a minimum, for recording purposes, and that's why I'm looking for the processors.

• Members

Twostone,

Thanks for those links. I'll look at those tonight when I get home.

FWIW, I have a 2.6ghz Core2Duo iMac with 4gb's RAM,and Logic Studio 8. I'll be upgrading to Logic 10 as soon as it becomes available. I understand Logic 9 also had a significant upgrade involving amp modelling software. I'd still like to have the hardware units available however.

• Members

I currently use a Zoom 708II for bass but I realise that its probably hopelessly outdated by now..... still, very good sounds and user modifiable emulations, etc.

I'm amazed at what these small stomp-boxes can do,,, but I wonder how accessible the presets are. Do you find yourself bending down to twirl knobs? or can you access pre-sets directly, with a tap of the toe?

• Members

If you want to stick to something a little simpler, and you already have stompboxes you like, you might want to look into something like the Tech 21 Character pedals.

I've looked briefly at one of the Tech21 pedals, but not the "character" series. I'm more inclined however, to go with an all-in-one unit, for the time being. The Eventide pedals also looked pretty well-made, but I'm not finding the "classic" sounds I'm looking for. Maybe I just haven't looked deep enough.

One guy I talked to, said "if you want "pro quality", go with a rack-mount unit; something like the Rocktron Prophecy". I dunno. I want something with quick access (little, or no scrolling), and it has to sound good.

• Members

Twostone,

Thanks for those links. I'll look at those tonight when I get home.

FWIW, I have a 2.6ghz Core2Duo iMac with 4gb's RAM,and Logic Studio 8. I'll be upgrading to Logic 10 as soon as it becomes available. I understand Logic 9 also had a significant upgrade involving amp modelling software. I'd still like to have the hardware units available however.

Dude forget the modeller you don't need a modeller you need a amp attenuator. If volume is your problem because you got a crank it up to get those tubes to cooking. Then amp attenuator will solve that problem heck with attenuator you open those amps wide open and fry eggs on the tubes and play at whisper.

Plus that will give you some hands on recording experience.

• Members

Our band uses the GT-10 and 10b. Well built, flexible routing, many different sounds. As you said, overkill for practice, but they are
practical gigging boards.

THAT, is what I need. Something practical, and usable for gigging or recording. Are your guys having to fiddle with knobs while playing? Or is this a "set-it-once" solution, with quick access to pre-sets or saved samples?

• Members

Dude forget the modeller you don't need a modeller you need a amp attenuator. If volume is your problem because you got a crank it up to get those tubes to cooking. Then amp attenuator will solve that problem heck with attenuator you open those amps wide open and fry eggs on the tubes and play at whisper.

Plus that will give you some hands on recording experience.

Interesting. I love the clean and dirty tones of my Mesa-Boogie Mk.III.

• Members

Interesting. I love the clean and dirty tones of my Mesa-Boogie Mk.III.

Yep aint no modeller hardware or software goona beat that sound.

If your wanting specail FX like chorus and delay then look into TC or Boss

mos tof your big name guitar player like single type of pedals running through the amps FX loops

• Members

Yep aint no modeller hardware or software goona beat that sound.

If your wanting specail FX like chorus and delay then look into TC or Boss

mos tof your big name guitar player like single type of pedals running through the amps FX loops

I'll probably go with both solutions; the all-in-one floor-board, and the amp attenuator. I'd like to experiment with the amp modellers, just to see how good they really are. I'll also need one of those all-in-ones for the bass set-up. I want several different tones there, especially a good acoustic-bass tone if that's possible. We're not using the Mesa B-400 for practice sessions,,, we're using a Yorkville 100w combo amp.

• CMS Author

I'm lost. No,,, overwhelmed is more like it.
:facepalm:

Thanks,

Bob

I've had a GT-6B for years and highly recommend it the Boss line. Sturdy, reliable, has all the I/O you'll need (I think the GT10 had USB ) and there's a boatload of utility in it.

The learning curve is, however steep for the multi-tools.

The "slow gear" effect gives a great acoustic URB sound, and of course the closer your electric bass is to the real thing the better it works. A P-Bass is nice with it.

• Members

I've had a GT-6B for years and highly recommend it the Boss line. Sturdy, reliable, has all the I/O you'll need (I think the GT10 had USB ) and there's a boatload of utility in it.

The learning curve is, however steep for the multi-tools.

The "slow gear" effect gives a great acoustic URB sound, and of course the closer your electric bass is to the real thing the better it works. A P-Bass is nice with it.

My bass-playing buddy has a Fender Mustang (short-scale), and an old Rickenbaker bass. I've got a Tanglewood acoustic bass, and a MusicMan Stingray.

• Members

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Line 6 POD HD500. I know nothing about the unit except for the fact that Line 6 has always put out good stuff. I don't think you can tell much about thses units unless you take some serious time and work with them. A 10 min. demo at GC just won't do that, you have to buy one and do some woodshedding.

Archived