Small mixer with lots of AUX?

• Members

Can't think of any. Generally, what drives the number of aux's for a commercial board is in part the number of inputs because that typically relates to the number of monitor mixes and effects sends needed.

Well said. I might add that the MixWiz is already the "smaller, lighter board". The boards I used to see and use with that many auxes were much bigger. I would think that typically, if one needed that many auxes, a smaller space than the MixWiz's footprint wouldn't be necessary.

• Members

Wizard Mon 12M

16 inputs, 12 outputs

or

WZ3:20S

4 mic/line plus 8 stereo inputs, 6 aux sends

The monitor version doesn't have the ability to choose aux sends pre and post fader like a house console for use with effects and such.

Neither are significantly smaller or lighter either.

• Members

Carvin makes a 16 channel board with 6 auxes. Probably bigger than a MW and not in the same league.

They have an 8 channel version too. The new version has 6 monitor sends and 2 fx. FWIW, I prefer the Carvin concert series to the MixWiz, but I imagine I'm in the minority there.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=C844U&cid=13

• Members

They have an 8 channel version too. The new version has 6 monitor sends and 2 fx. FWIW, I prefer the Carvin concert series to the MixWiz, but I imagine I'm in the minority there.

That is smaller and looks to meet the OP's stated needs.

Is it that you value having groups more than another swept channel EQ that makes you like it more than the Mix Wiz?

Winston

• Members

That is smaller and looks to meet the OP's stated needs.

Is it that you value having groups more than another swept channel EQ that makes you like it more than the Mix Wiz?

Winston

Both have about the same features. The Carvin has subgroups and dual 9 band eq, and the A&H has better effects. Otherwise they're functionally equivalent. I like the layout of the Carvin better. I found having the connectors on the back of the A&H less convenient than having them on the top. I also had a channel go bad on the MixWiz.

• Members

FWIW, the carvin's layout is akward, uses cheap pots, has a useless 9 band EQ (why bother!), and isn't built very strong. Connectors coming in from the top incread the strain on the connectors from the board, calbe and bends the wire itself. Over time dust and dirt can build up much easier in a top loaded connection.

• Members

FWIW, the carvin's layout is akward, uses cheap pots, has a useless 9 band EQ (why bother!), and isn't built very strong. Connectors coming in from the top incread the strain on the connectors from the board, calbe and bends the wire itself. Over time dust and dirt can build up much easier in a top loaded connection.

Just goes to show how different people have different needs and opinions as to what's important. Personally, I would much rather have the extra swept mid EQ of the Mix Wiz rather than groups on a board of 16 channels or smaller and the connections on the back aren't enough of a bother to be an issue for me. The back connection approach is much cleaner looking when set up, but if time is really pressed a guess the to mounted ones would be a bit faster. The nine band EQs seem pretty useless for monitors, but I suppose they would be helpful for room EQ shaping if you don't have a 31 band in the rig.

For a quick and dirty eight channel board, that Carvin is pretty feature packed.

Different strokes. Winston

• Members

I've been using the Carvin for about 8 years. I disagree with your assessment. Connectors on the top is very common, whereas connectors on the back are hard to get to, especially if you want to keep the thing in any kind of case.

What do you find awkward about the layout? It seems pretty standard to me. Keep in mind the OP is asking about a small mixer. The 9 band eq may or may not be useless. If you feel that way you don't need to use it but it's there if you want it.

What are you basing your comments about cheap pots and weak build on?

Archived