considering getting a used equalizer

• Members

I need one more channel of 31 band eq for my stage monitors. I have a DBX 231 I'm using for FOH and one set of stage monitors. I'm running two different monitor mixes on stage and need a 3rd channel of eq. The equalizer need not be "the best" as it's for mine and the keyboard player's monitors. I'm looking at buying used from flea bay. Here's some I'm considering:

* an EV EQ-131

* a Yamaha Graphic EQ GQ1031B II

* a Peavey Equalizer (EQ-31)

* a Rane ME-30B

All these are used and in the $60.00 range. Any opinions outside of just buy a new DBX or Ashley ?

• Members

I need one more channel of 31 band eq for my stage monitors. I have a DBX 231 I'm using for FOH and one set of stage monitors. I'm running two different monitor mixes on stage and need a 3rd channel of eq. The equalizer need not be "the best" as it's for mine and the keyboard player's monitors. I'm looking at buying used from flea bay. Here's some I'm considering:

* an EV EQ-131

* a Yamaha Graphic EQ GQ1031B II

* a Peavey Equalizer (EQ-31)

* a Rane ME-30B

All these are used and in the $60.00 range. Any opinions outside of just buy a new DBX or Ashley ?

I still see a lot of those Yamaha EQ's in installs.... and I own a 1031 myself (maybe not that exact model). Good for monitors, although IIRC you have to pay attention to the optional gain stage/pad buttons and make sure you're matched up.

I prefer them over the newer DBX's but the DBX's are new - something to be said for that.

• Members

the EV is variable q, and while some may argue about that as a useful feature i have grown to be quite fond of it. the klarks have that as do the white instruments. i have used the EV but do not own one. i would own one though, they are very nice.

• Members

If you have the space, just get another dbx 231EQ. Never hurts to have an extra channel of EQ, you can always use it as an insert or you may want to run stereo sometime. Another option is the 1RU dbx131EQ. I had one but sold it to get a THIRD 231EQ. A few advantages to having the same company's EQs. Same location for power connections and I/Os AND the same operational controls AND the same looks.

• Members

Sorry to hijack, but Coaster... your sig...

is the relationship "worthless without the former"? That wouldn't bode well for your board cred. :poke:

so you didnt take the SAT? A mnemonic for a simile is that "a simile is similar or alike."

BTW, if you have some problem with and want to call me out, forget it. i aint wasting my time with it.

Coaster, I know you have an answer to this question... Stopping at sarcasm just makes you look rude, whereas following up sarcasm with a legitimate answer makes it clear you're only kidding. Even just "I prefer a 52" after your last post would have made a difference. I don't mean to get into the discussion of politeness again, but this irked me. I know you're not a rude person and I don't want this to sound like an attack.

• Members

so you didnt take the SAT? A mnemonic for a simile is that "a simile is similar or alike."

BTW, if you have some problem with and want to call me out, forget it. i aint wasting my time with it.

Wow guy. It's ok for you to call someone out for mistaking a kick drum for a bass drum, but not ok for me to poke fun at your sig? I don't have a problem with you, just your inability to take what you dish out. I respect your knowledge and input on this board. I was completely sincere with the post that you just quoted back to me, and I don't think I was wrong. I'm not trying to start {censored}, but the way you respond to me makes it sound like you are. Let's not.

• Members

For your $60 budget you can get a DOD SR231 dual 31 band EQ. It should be fine for monitors. There are plenty on fleabay right now.

I'm pretty sure that DOD is owned by dbx/Harmon.

I didn't know that. I was avoiding brands like Alesis, Art, DOD, Gemini, etc. because I was concerned they would be noisy and unreliable. But DOD is okay then?

just get another DBX 231

I would, except I do not want to spend $150.00+ to eq two monitors, and I only need one channel.

Any comments on the Rane ME-30B ?

• Members

mistaking a kick drum for a bass drum

Just to be clear, the correct term and name for a "kick drum" in a drum kit, is BASS DRUM. The term, "kick drum", is industry slang and not the actual term the retailers or manufacturers use. So, when I asked about which mic to use for a bass drum, I was using the correct terminology. Coaster attempting to ridicule me by making fun of my word choice only helps me grow a thicker skin, something one needs to post on some forums. :)

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-drums/bass-drums

http://www.dwdrums.com/drums/collectors/sizes.asp

• Moderators

What do you guys think of the DOD 410 thingie, w/the 15-band graphic, 2 notch filters and limiter?

I used to use them for FOH and monitors, but when I got the Ashly and dBX stuff, it seemd to immediately sound better.

They're in the practice room now.

You see 'em used for $50, around here.

MG

• Members

No need for a single 31 band eq to match, IMO. It will be for (2) Yamaha stage monitors only. The DBX 131 is $160.00 new and I couldn't find a used one at all. Even the 231's cost $125.00+ used. Besides, I took a gamble and bought the EV-131 barely used for $45.00, shipped to my door. IDK, maybe it will turn out to be a mistake. Guess I'll find out.

• Members

DOD/Digitech is Harmon?

Yes.

I thought they were Mormon in Utah? huh, well. The DOD would work, they aren't really known for quality though. Spend the $ and get a matching (key word) DBX.

I've got both the DODs and DBXs. Both seem fine. I wouldn't be surprised if they are a very similar unit at the circuit level..

• Members

you got the EV? i think you will like it. did you look into what variable q is? its a little different, but not night and day.

the ev is a little older than the dbx but i would prefer the ev over the dbx.

Yeah, I did get the EV. From my understanding, the variable eq on the EV works like this. When one uses very little +/-, 3db or less, the eq curve will cover a greater range of neighboring freq. The more +/- in db, the curve becomes more of a spike and the eq band narrows. I realize I'm not saying it very well but I think one can get the jist of my meaning.

• Members

Sorry to hear of your tangle with a router. Close call, heh? In 1991, while using a portable table saw, my left hand got pulled into the blade and I cut my index finger badly. Took out bone and cartilage. I'm fortunate they were able to save it. It's never been the same though.

Archived