Trouble with violin

• Members

Since he is going into the amp then going direct out from the amp where would the active DI go, between viloin and amp or after amp before the mixer?

If you are taking the signal out of the amp's DI, be sure it's a pre-eq output otherwise any eq on the amp will be passed onto the signal to the PA. This could be a problem.

What pickup and amp is being used? "Very good" isn't useful information. Lots of people who don't know the difference think crap is very good... until they get a chance to use "real" very good stuff.

• Members

Again I know expert and just use a common sense approach if the PU is one of those tiny round types which I've only seen one in my years being a musician.

Maybe it's located in the wrong place. I know from experimenting with mic placement in recording makes a whole impact.

Just a thought. I know Age would know more about these type of PU then I do.

I also know you can throw just about any thing at SM57 and get decent results.

5 gallon bucket, cardboard box, vocals, even a acoustic guitar if you don't have a condenser.

• Members

Again I know expert and just use a common sense approach if the PU is one of those tiny round types which I've only seen one in my years being a musician.

Maybe it's located in the wrong place. I know from experimenting with mic placement in recording makes a whole impact.

Just a thought. I know Age would know more about these type of PU then I do.

I also know you can throw just about any thing at SM57 and get decent results.

5 gallon bucket, cardboard box, vocals, even a acoustic guitar if you don't have a condenser.

When we had a violin at my church we just used a 57 and it sounded pretty good, except when the violinist would move away from the mic.

• Members

To Redbassman86: Have you had experience where the pickup sounds great at one volume level then not as good at another? This is the issue. I am not sure what p'up he is using, but he said that when he went to the music store to purchase he bought the best one recommended by the staff.

Unfortunately I have not. Generally speaking i look for pickups that sound like the instrument. Most of the people that come through are touring Celtic musicians, and lots of them will honestly have me mic the fiddle, because they dont like their pickup sound. I have seen some great pickups, but my best luck (consistently) has come with an Isomax microphone. You really need to experiment, and take your time, fiddles can be sonically challenging.

• Members

The Zeta violins are optimized for live performance and use a unique patented cantalever type crystal assembly. Works very well.

The OP may want to take the instrument to one of the pro acoustic shops that specialize in the touring client. These guys have the knowledge and experience to do it right.

Archived