I need some help reading specs for these JBL and EV speakers

• Members

What does these specs say in common English and how do the speakers compare based on the specs claimed by the manufactures?

JBL PRX612M

Maximum SPL Output : Full Range: 134 dB peak

Monitor: 133 dB peak

Frequency Range (-10 dB) : Full Range: 50 Hz

• Members

Well they don't really say that much in this case. There's just not enough info there to tell what the real world performance of either is, outside of a ballpark guess.

As far as comparing just based on those numbers -- an absolutely useless excercise, those two sets are really, really similar.

• Members

Too me it means they are pretty much equal, not enough difference on paper to say one would be better then the other.

Plus, neither mfg uses the same testing to come up with there numbers.

You just have to listen to them both and decide what you like best.

• Members

The numbers tell me that the manufacturers market these speakers to a segment that they think is impressed by those numbers, and that's about it. Not enuff info. (Example; the +/-3dB frequency response numbers occur at what amplitude? 1w? 1/2 power? etc. Where are the distortion numbers? Were they measured in 1/2 space, 1/4 space, 1/8 space, indoors, outdoors, peak hold meter??? All kinds of neat stuff. :)

• Members

In their defense, both EV and JBL are pretty good about putting out EDS for their speakers, with fairly complete specs and at least a clue as to the test methodologies -- At least on their better products. It definitely won't be in the sales material, though.

As an example, JBL says this about that peak output figure:

Maximum Peak output measured with IEC pink noise at 1 meter in front of speaker baffle under free space conditions. Measurement instrument set to peak hold. Speaker muted and released at full power, recording maximum peak level.

So, obviously that's not a very useful figure, unless the performance you will be using these for is the blasting pink noise for a couple of milliseconds. But at least you get an idea what they're giving you.

• Members

Four out of five doctors agree that the xxx brand speaker is better. Whcih doctors? Who did the study? Were they retired, or wet behind the ears? Do they know anything about speakers? Were they being compensated for their opinions?

Stats, specs and any other figures can be manipulated.

Maybe, within a product line they might mean something but it's still about hearing the speaker.

A slant sic Valiant could be more reliable than a Ferrari - is it better? That depends....

• Members

Hmmm.... but I've read very knowledgeable members on this forum that talk about the Max SPL output of various speakers . So there's no convention for Max SPL? Or for the -3db point?

So- how would these specs be formatted in the simplest way possible so they're meaningful for the maximum spl and for the -3db point? Those are the first two quick reference specs I always look for.

And- what industry conventions would be meaningful for these specs? I know power ratings are all over the map, but I thought these two were helpful.

• Members

Hmmm.... but I've read very knowledgeable members on this forum that talk about the Max SPL output of various speakers . So there's no convention for Max SPL? Or for the -3db point?

So- how would these specs be formatted in the simplest way possible so they're meaningful for the maximum spl and for the -3db point? Those are the first two quick reference specs I always look for.

And- what industry conventions would be meaningful for these specs? I know power ratings are all over the map, but I thought these two were helpful.

SPL can be measured at different distances, different frequencies, etc, etc. The bigger problem is that even if a speaker can put out a certain level of sound, it doesn't mean it is good sound ;)

louder crap is still crap.

I am still waiting on the EV's to be availible to A/B them. EV has had a good reputation for smooth high and mid frequency in the past. Since I intend on using these primarily with subs, these frequencies are my primary concern (at higher volume).

As Agedhorse pointed out, I really need to hear them both to make a choice. The specs are meaningless to me (except for the weight ;) ).

• Members

As Agedhorse pointed out, I really need to hear them both to make a choice. The specs are meaningless to me (except for the weight
;)
).

Good point. Weight and size are pretty standard measurements; okay there's inches/pounds versus centimetres/kilos but I can deal with that.

To the OP.... 36 - 24 - 26, is that the woman of your dreams? Hard to tell just based on specs

I guess specs, if they're "accurate" can predict how a speaker should or could perform but not how it's going to sound - at least not the specs the average public is privy to. IMO where specs can really help is if there is a fairly large variance. For instance, one speaker is rated at 118 max SPL and the other at 132 SPL. But the 132 SPL speaker could still be a piece of junk, and the 118 SPL speaker could very well be a nice studio monitor or something.

Is the JBL peak rating of 134 better than the unspecified SPL rating of 132 for the EV? I wouldn't know, and I wouldn't care. There's no mention of sensitivity or how the tests were conducted and so on.

Both are basically aimed at the same end user so as stated, the choice is yours. My 2 cents.

• Members

The O.P. just needs to settle it down and buy his boxes.

But this is a guy who has logged a consistent 20-40 posts a day on the various boards of HC under different names for for years. He's one of the top posters on this site, so it's kind of what he does.

Archived