Next step up from Club Series?

• Members

how much do you want to spend?

i'd say the next steo up from yamaha club is yamaha club biamped with dsp, or MRX stuff. other stuff is good too, depends.

That's kind of my question. What's the next bump in price level that's worth it - sound quality wise. I bought used Clube Series V 15's for $325. I'd say my next price point would be in the $500-$700 range. I'd rather spend $700 for a big step up than $500 for just a little better.

• Members

i dont think its worth trying to get better than clubs for $500 - 700. a pair of MRX will set you back $1200+

i really think the next bracket up from clubs is over $1k/pair

you might be better off spending your $500 to 700 somewhere else in your chain? what is it you dont like about the clubs?

• Members

Well, you got your Clubs 1/2 off new. Are you talking $500 - $700 total or per box? $700 is a pair of new Clubs. You may be able to score some higher end used passive speakers like the JBL MRX but you'll have to actively look and be very patient.

• Members

I would reiterate the call for 1K. At that price point you could get a pair of RCF312a's which would be a huge step up from the Clubs, and they are powered so you could sell an amp to make up the difference in price from your original range of $500-700 and could make your setup a little lighter.

• Members

Makes no sense to go from a club series box to a MRX/PRX series box, the performance upgrade (if any) would be minimal at best.

When properly powered and EQ'd the club series is a great bang for the buck solution, so as someone else mentioned check what else is in your signal chain that may better the performance of what you have.

I am with the others that say you need to be in the $1k + per box range for any real performance upgrade that would be worth while.

• Members

Interesting thread. I've been contemplating the same thing myself, upgrading from 112 Club IVs. One thing that has caught my eye lately is "open box" deals on brand new EV SX-300s on ebay for $419 apiece. Since the regular price of the EVs is nearly twice that of the Clubs, the "get what you pay for" mantra would suggest there ought to be a noticeable difference. They would seem to safely handle more power, a benefit for our outdoor gigs.

• Members

I own the 15" clubs, 15" MRX's and 15"SRX. IMO, there is a bigger performance gap from the Clubs to the MRX than the MRX to the SRX.

The MRX line is a great sounding, light weight, and affordable box.

• Members
Makes no sense to go from a club series box to a MRX/PRX series box, the performance upgrade (if any) would be minimal at best.

When properly powered and EQ'd the club series is a great bang for the buck solution, so as someone else mentioned check what else is in your signal chain that may better the performance of what you have.

I am with the others that say you need to be in the $1k + per box range for any real performance upgrade that would be worth while.

I disagree. That should be a pretty noticeable upgrade, in addition to have a much better quality box as well as a little less weight.

• Members

Sorry, have to put in another disagreement here ;) The MRX's are quite noticeably better than the clubs IMHO. The SRX's are better yet, but in an entirely different market price range.

• Members

The MRX to my ears sounds better than the SRX when running full range/flat eq. When the SRX is bi amped the sound is noticeably better than the MRX.

I have always wondered what the MRX would sound like biamped. Does anyone know why they didn't consider this when designing the cabinet?

• Members

I own the 15" clubs, 15" MRX's and 15"SRX. IMO, there is a bigger performance gap from the Clubs to the MRX than the MRX to the SRX.

I couldn't agree more! I went from clubs to the MRX's and wish I'd have done it in the first place.

• Members

I agree.

Furthermore the Yamaha clubs are decent if not somewhat bland and sterile sounding.

I had an occasion back when I got my EV Force monitors to compare them to Yamaha Club 12" boxes.

The EV box was smoother and more pleasant to listen to than the Yamahas.

That applied to them both used as monitors. When used over subs and crossed at 120Hz, the EV Force Monitors were quite a bit better.

I still have four of the Force Monitors, and now have four MR512ms.

Over subs the MRX512ms are significantly better than the EVs.

In FOH use without subs or in monitor duty, the MRXs are just in a different league.

I cannot agree with any statement regarding the MRXs being insignificantly better.

They are MUCH more articulate throughout the frequency range, and do not exhibit any harshness in the higher end when EQed about -3db in the 4-6.5 Khz range.

There is also a significant upgrade in going from a 60.5 lb Yamaha Club S115V made of Paricleboard and an MRX515 at 43lbs.

In the end you are comparing an decent quality entry level speaker to a speaker in a different class.

As far as price goes you can find pairs of mint condition used MRX515s and MRX512ms for less than $800 per pair.

I paid $1200 for four MRX512ms and I just love them for small-medium shows.

• Members

This is why these topics are always a personal preference type of answer.

I for one have never liked the sound of any MRX/PRX box I have heard to date, and there are a lot of them floating around this neck of the woods.

If you are looking at an upgrade in the weight of the cabinet, then sure the MRX/PRX is an upgrade, but as for as sound quality....hardly worth the money.

The OP was asking for an upgrade, for me that means that someone wants a BIG improvement over what they currently have.

Get into the range of a JBL SRX712/715, a Peavey QW2, EV QRX112/115 now where talking a noticeable upgrade IMO.

• Members
This is why these topics are always a personal preference type of answer.

I for one have never liked the sound of any MRX/PRX box I have heard to date, and there are a lot of them floating around this neck of the woods.

If you are looking at an upgrade in the weight of the cabinet, then sure the MRX/PRX is an upgrade, but as for as sound quality....hardly worth the money.

The OP was asking for an upgrade, for me that means that someone wants a BIG improvement over what they currently have.

Get into the range of a JBL SRX712/715, a Peavey QW2, EV QRX112/115 now where talking a noticeable upgrade IMO.

Once again, I disagree. An MRX sounds noticeably better than a Club, in addition to the other benefits.

• Members

If the next substantial jump in speaker quality is not in Shamdog's budget, perhaps Coaster's suggestion of a DSP should be considered. Maybe a pro could be hired to do the initial set up. If new speakers were eventually added to the system, the DSP could still be used.

Archived