I just bought a Peavey JSX head in great condition for $450 at GC

Daehtihs

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

a piece of 1x6, a jigsaw, sander, and some tolex

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t1o4ZnCF.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t204.1 KB ID:\t32206373","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32206373","data-size":"full","title":"1o4ZnCF.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

It looks like you two guys have the same ugly wallpaper :D

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tfetch?id=32186639&d=1521557866.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t45.9 KB ID:\t32207319","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32207319","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Great deal. I'd go for one if I had the chance. how does the peavey jsx sound compared to marshalls?

Well, that's kind of a tough question, I have a plexi and they're way different animals, maybe some of the more modern Marshall's sound similar to the JSX especially the crunch channel but Peavey and Marshall have their own voices. That being said, that's why I have 4 different amp heads and want more.:cool:

• 10 months later...
  • Members
Well I got the amp' date=' after I biased it properly with a bias probe from eurotubes it sounds great! I guess the test points that Peavey provides aren't very accurate, but since I don't know how old the JJ EL34's are I biased them a little cold at 36 mA, there does seem to be a little crossover distortion but it could be the phase inverter tube. Now to take the chrome plates off. :cool12:[/quote']

Peavey's test points are accurate. Don't believe the things you read on Eurotubes. I have a new Peavey Invective and the test points read right on the money. Now maybe because it's a newer manufactured amp, but I can assure you the inaccuracy thing is a myth. And for God's sake, move past JJ's. Those are training tubes. So many better tubes out there.

• Members

Peavey's test points are accurate. Don't believe the things you read on Eurotubes. I have a new Peavey Invective and the test points read right on the money. Now maybe because it's a newer manufactured amp, but I can assure you the inaccuracy thing is a myth. And for God's sake, move past JJ's. Those are training tubes. So many better tubes out there.

Well, I don't use eurotubes or JJ's. Just their bias tester, and there was a difference between using the test points and the eurotubes bias gauge with a multimeter. I don't think the Peavey test points were way off they just were a little cold. Have you had a bad experience?

• Members

Well, I don't use eurotubes or JJ's. Just their bias tester, and there was a difference between using the test points and the eurotubes bias gauge with a multimeter. I don't think the Peavey test points were way off they just were a little cold. Have you had a bad experience?

Oh no, Eurotubes is fine, never a problem. JJ's are another story. Too many failures for me. Redplate cafe. If you get JJ's, definitely opt for the 24 hour burn in. Most of my failures happened right away. I properly biased the amp but the sweep of Peavey's bias pot isn't wide enough to destroy an amp, a tube maybe.

• Members

Oh no, Eurotubes is fine, never a problem. JJ's are another story. Too many failures for me. Redplate cafe. If you get JJ's, definitely opt for the 24 hour burn in. Most of my failures happened right away. I properly biased the amp but the sweep of Peavey's bias pot isn't wide enough to destroy an amp, a tube maybe.

The only JJ's I've had experience with were el84's they actually sounded fine even compared to NOS but for my JSX I went with tung sol 7581's they're just a high head room 6l6 and RFT 12ax7's in all 4 positions in the pre-amp. The result has been great! Super quiet, and very powerful sounding, the cleans are almost hifi and the dirt is 3D. I biased it on the el34 setting at the lowest position on the bias dial and it has held perfectly for a year now with no change.

As previously mentioned I did use a bias probe and multi-meter though.

Archived