Sound company in/near Solano County, CA.

• Members

Hi Guys,

A few friends and myself, along with others, are wanting to produce a small, outdoor concert in Vacaville, CA. We are looking for reputable sound and lighting companies that service this area. Can anyone recommend a company? Thanks!

• Members

We are still at the planning /feasibility stage. It will be an outdoor music concert at a private golf course in Vacaville. We expect and hope for 500 attendees, hopefully more. It is planned to be a one day event beginning at around 5-6 pm and ending no later than 10pm. It would probably be on a Saturday. The music would be electric blues with the typical instrumentation: electric guitar/s, acoustic drums, electric bass, electronic keys, harmonica, vocals. Stage volumes would be most likely be moderate, but louder than acoustic music. We would hope to find a company that could provide both sound and lighting for the stage only, both FOH and monitoring. At the moment, the stage is a quality portable unit consisting of (9) 4 x 8 interlocking panels but has no sides or back, just a platform and stairs. It is 2.5' high. That may change as we're looking into a better stage, as I think we need it. The stage area is a grassy flat area which faces a grassy flat area, and behind that, a grassy knoll, which would also be more seating area, sort of like an amphitheater, and similar to the grassy area at the Sleep Train Pavilion in Concord, CA. We have no idea what would constitute an adequate/good sound system. I could go there and take photos of the venue if that helps in planning the sound and light needs. It seems to me that for something like this, the prices start at approx. $1,000.00, for lights and sound. Is that about right? Of course, the more we spend, the less chance of this being a successful financial venture, which would inhibit our ability to continue promoting these events. We've done two indoor and one outdoor event so far, and all have been a moderate financial success ( we didn't lose money and made enough to do another ) We are considering the feasibility of doing another outdoor event, and crunching numbers at the moment to see if it can work. The promoters are a loose consortium of blues aficionados and musicians. Sound and lights before were not great IMO, and consisted of either rigs that were not up to the task, and/or run poorly. We are not looking for high decibels but moderate volume level with clear, well mixed sound, for mostly listening and perhaps some dancing. I hope this info helps.

• Members

"Of course, the more we spend, the less chance of this being a successful financial venture, which would inhibit our ability to continue promoting these events."

That is some interesting logic right there.

That's the most important information required to sort out if it makes sense.

• Members

That's the most important information required to sort out if it makes sense.

Budget: first and last.

If you have 500 attendees, charge them 10-20/ticket, and sell booth space for additional revenue/concessions for attendees.

Then your budget for the event is 5000-10000 off of tickets alone.

That should make using a real production company to do the sound and lights a little easier to swallow, as would paying the bands and production folks like security and PAs. It makes it easier to pay your liability insurance and your portapotty bill. And you crafts services. And your fencing/barricades. And your radio/newspaper ad spend. And your event website. And a real stage.

And whatever else is need to first ensure that 500 people attend and play the ticket price, and second ensure that those 500 people all come away feeling like they have had a great time.

Because the alternative to doing all that is sticking with what you've got, which doesn't sound like much fun.

• Members

I'd start it earlier and not spend the money on lights
:idea:

+1.

Running a show into darkness can add all kinds of problems - extra security concerns, the need for crowd trail access lighting, backstage lighting, toilet lighting, load out lighting.... and of course expensive stage lighting.

Unless the stage is a professional covered one, you won't need lights during the day. Better to take the lighting budget and spend it on PA.

Also, don't forget about rain.... if you've got to cancel most everyone will want to get paid regardless. Would you have a venue contingency plan?

Of course you could go rain or shine but that kind of staging, power and so on could cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Snacks for thought.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We already have most of the other items taken care of, like security, insurance, toilets, concessions ( food and drink ), electrical, permits, etc. Good tip on running things sooner to avoid needing lighting. The venue and concessionaires will be handling the insurance, permits ( if required ), and toilets. They get none of the gate and we get no percentage of the concessions. As I mentioned before, this isn't our first time, and we're are crunching #'s to see if it is feasible. Ticket prices would most likely be in the $15.00 range and there will be a yet to be named national recording artist as headliner. Many of us have been in the bus a long time, in various capacities, so we are aware of what it takes to produce a concert on this level, which is quite small. Our other events made money for charitable causes and enough to bankroll future events. We aren't doing this to make a huge profit but would prefer not to have to dip into our pockets to hold this either. That is why I was asking about pro level sound companies in the area. We have no intention of skimping on quality sound, and I don't think I said anything that would give anyone that impression. We just do not know what it would/could cost, and are trying to budget for that. Andy has generously provided me with the names and #'s of four local sound providers, and we will be getting in touch with them to discuss our plans and budget. Thanks again.

Archived