OT - Why Do We Have Time Zones?

Anderton

• Members
But aren't the local times just an arbitrary construct? The sun is going to be in the same position whether we call it noon, 12, 3, or even Blurf. In other words, our circadian rhythms are dictated by the sun, not the arbitrary number we ascribe to the sun's position at any given time.

One of the definitions listed by Merriam Webster for noon is "the highest point," so—in that regard—the word "noon" is no more arbitrary that the word "apex."

Nor is even that particularly accurate...when a time zone crossing exists, you can move six inches and change the time by an hour. So if you're on one side of the line at the sun is at high noon, it will be at high eleven or high one on the other side of the line.

Granted, just like the DST example I listed above, the sun is probably not exactly at its highest point when we call it "noon;" but at least it's in the right ballpark using our current time system.

It's not like I'm on a crusade about this or anything, I'm just not wrapping my head around why what we use as a label for the position of the sun matters.

I imagine it mattered much more when we used sundials to mark time, but I think it's still important in matters pertaining to the sun.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Here's a link to a Smithsonian article on why not one time zone - some more juicy bits of info....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/one-time-zone-for-the-world-127795315/

nat

So I'm not alone! They also mention a standardized calendar. I've often thought it would make a lot more sense to have 13 months of 28 days, and to make up 365 days, we get an extra day between December 28 and January 1 called "super-duper fun time vacation day" (we'll let marketing work on the name :)) which would be a world-wide day of just goofing off. And every four years, to celebrate leap year, we'd put two super-duper fun time vacation days between December 28 and January 1.

Of course, we'd also need a name for the extra month, and decide where to put it. But when you consider our modern world is running on some emperor's ego trip where Augustus just had to have one more day in his month because he was so much more bitchinly awesome that the other emperors, well...you gotta wonder if we're kind of a slave to tradition or not.

• Members

So I'm not alone! They also mention a standardized calendar. I've often thought it would make a lot more sense to have 13 months of 28 days, and to make up 365 days, we get an extra day between December 28 and January 1 called "super-duper fun time vacation day" (we'll let marketing work on the name :)) which would be a world-wide day of just goofing off. And every four years, to celebrate leap year, we'd put two super-duper fun time vacation days between December 28 and January 1.

Of course, we'd also need a name for the extra month, and decide where to put it. But when you consider our modern world is running on some emperor's ego trip where Augustus just had to have one more day in his month because he was so much more bitchinly awesome that the other emperors, well...you gotta wonder if we're kind of a slave to tradition or not.

There are far too many suspicious people in the world to believe a 13th month would be feasible. The only elevator in the world I know of with a 13th floor is the best psychedelic rock band to ever come out of Houston (or anywhere else for my money). I know you know of whom I speak.

But I am all down with the whole Worldwide Super-Duper Fun time Vacation Day. And renaming the months is a great idea. What wouldn't be cooler than celebrating Valentines Day on the 14th of Clapton. New Year's on Hendrix 1st. Independence Day on Allman the 4th.

• CMS Author

So I'm not alone! They also mention a standardized calendar. I've often thought it would make a lot more sense to have 13 months of 28 days, and to make up 365 days, we get an extra day between December 28 and January 1 called "super-duper fun time vacation day" (

The Hebrew calendar has a 13th month (29 or 30 days long, based on the phase of the moon) every 2 or 3 years, actually 7 out of 19 years, as required to catch up. So how about a super duper fun vacation month?

• Members

I think much of humanity before a culture discovered fractions was base 12 for money, time, and other divisions. I assume because you can divide by either 2 or 3. Splitting base 10 dollars, ducats, shekels, pounds or francs three ways is difficult without fractions. but if your dollars, ducats, shekels, pounds or francs are base 12, it's easy.

Why 13 is unlucky I think can be traced back to the early Catholic church. I think the pagans liked 13 so the Christians had to trash the number - or something like that (correct me if I'm wrong).

With base 12 time, you can also have a third or a quarter of an hour.

And all those people on the 13th floor of a building are really on the 13th -- it obviously doesn't bother them, so why not put 13 on the elevator?

Some things humans do defy logic.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived