Local guitar tech examines my Les Paul Special 2 cut P90's

Etienne Rambert

• Members

Relax Freeman. It was a reasonably good deal for me.

Have a Gibson.

fetch?filedataid=127834

Image doesn't seem to work.

First, I realize that your tech isn't a luthier, I apologize for calling him that. I've been corresponding with another guy who is having an unusual guitar built and he keeps referring to his luthier, I spaced out that these are different people.

And I agree that its a heck of a deal and have suggested to one guy that he look into it. My whole reaction to the video however was disappointment - I had hoped to learn a lot from a technician who would and could really get into the nuts and bolts of your guitar, but all he wanted to do was show off his chops.

I would like to believe that Gibson is building the best guitars of their history for the most reasonable prices. I would like to believe that they are pushing technology for the benefit of the player. I would like to believe that their setups are perfect out of the box and set the standard for the industry. I'd also have a great deal of respect for Gibson as a company and would like to believe that their management is making the right choices to keep them a leader of the industry.

• Members

​Gibson provided purchasers with a Titanium nut to replace the one that came with the guitars. Gibson had a high volume of complaints about tuning stability. The low friction titanium nuts were furnished initially in response to consumer complaints and then as a default replacement supplied with all robo guitars in general not originally equipped with one from the factory..

Thank you 6down. The only nuts I've seen on recent Gibsons have been the synthetic ones - this is a 2017 Standard w/o G-force

fetch?filedataid=127776

I didn't realize that titanium was lower friction and made tuning more stable. Are they hard to work with - do you need special files for the slots? Are they glued into the neck - if so what kind of glue? Is Gibson planning to use them on other guitars?

• Members

From what I have seen of the TI nuts, they aren't nuts in the traditional sense Freeman. Think of them as adjustable zero frets. 2 little allen screws on a plate, with the "nut" being a titanium fret that the strings rest upon. Like the old guitars of the 50's and 60's, most predominately on the Japanese cheapies of the 60's 70's era, with some American companies, like Harmony, Kay and yes, Kramer, using them well into the early 80's. (My Kramer DMZ6000 had one, made in about 79.)

​Gibson is trying to reinvent the wheel with them, and they are coming up with an oval shaped round thing. They aren't bad, they aren't good, they work. One of the ways Gibson tried to market the concept, was that with an adjustable nut, you can go from low action, to slide action with a twist of an allen key. Typical advertising market hyperbole in my opinion.

​I'm a traditionalist. I want bone nuts. Yes, I know in a few dozen years I will have to replace them, especially if I use that G force thingy a lot. (Which I would NEVER have on a guitar, but hey, that's me.) I wonder with the G force/robotuner thing, is if you do some weird drop tuning, how the intonation holds up, and the neck relief remains the same.

• Members

The nut looks like it will last. I agree the robos could possibly go wrong or become obsolete over the years.

I worry a bit about battery life and replacement. Also, I agree changing the strings looks like a hassle.

On the + side, GForce was invented by someone named Chris Adams. It's manufactured by a German company. Tronical doesn't make junk.

We'll see. Worst-case scenario, I ask the tech guy to install some good manual tuners. I'm not out a lot of money here. And I REALLY like the convenience.

I am not a gigging guitar player. I think GForce would be great for live performers. It is fast, exact and it will reduce the number of different guitars a player would need to bring to a performance. You can get the tunings you need quickly on one guitar.

Archived