Kick Drum Mic???

• Members

Finally got my subs hooked up and all I can say is WOW, what a difference! Anyway, my next prob is the kick mic. I have a DR set with 1 kick and 3 tom mics. However, my drummer has 2 bass drums, but I only have the 1 kick mic. My options are (for tonight's show, at least):

1. Use the kick mic and something else and try to get them to sound close to the same.

2. Use a pair of SM57s that I have.

3. Use 2 of the tom mics so that they match.

Your thoughts?

• Members

If it was me, I would get rid of the DR mics...

You can use a 57 on a kick, though you will need some EQ. Still use the 1 kick mic you have on the primary kick though. But seriously, update you drum mics (if you plan to do sound) or have the drummer buy a quality set of mics (if you're only looking to do sound for your band).

• Members

1. Use the kick mic and something else and try to get them to sound close to the same.

THIS.

I doubt he uses the 2nd kick except occassionaly as a special effect, right? Get the main kick sounding as good as you can with the best mic you can. Get the 2nd kick sounding as close as possible. If the sound is unacceptible, get a matching good kick mic down the road when you can.

• Members

I'd use a couple of 57s for now and use the current kick mic on his floor tom. You should get a matched set. However I agree that you should invest in something better than the DR mics. How much does your drummer have invested in his drums?.... Think about it! How much is the extra real estate worth (in sq footage) that a kit like that takes up? I think I've seen true double bass kits about twice in the last 10 years. The reason is practicality vs sonic gain.

Have fun

• Members

Not to be contrary-- just to kick in another opinion: the two kicks might sound better if they don't sound exactly the same.

Use whatever you got on the aux bass drum.

I think that the few times that I've recently mic'd a double bass kit, this was exactly the reason (that the two bass drums were tuned differently). With that in mind (and if that's the case with the OP) then you are correct, different mics wouldn't matter much.

• Members

Not to be contrary-- just to kick in another opinion: the two kicks might sound better if they don't sound exactly the same.

Use whatever you got on the aux bass drum.

I agree with this completely. The beauty of a true double kick is the tone difference between them. If you're going to try to make them sound the same, why bother with two? You might as well save the stage space and use a double pedal.

• Members

Hence why I use a double pedal - I rarely need two kick drums and when I do, I want the two to sound the same. Yes, two kicks play a little easier than one with a double pedal, but for me a second drum would not be practical.

• Members

Understand I'm too late for the party but IMHO, using two SM57s on kicks in this case would likely be an improvement over a DR kick mic. While many would gag at this, it was extremely common to use SM57s in kicks in the 1970s and '80's. Dedicated bass mics were rare and expensive. A quality kick mic IMHO is the keystone of a good drum mic set. IF the drummer INSISTS on two bass drums, make HIM buy the decent pair of matching kick mics and use whatever quality (or lack therein) mics HE buys. It's HIS sound, HIS choices, and should be HIS $$$.

Just a strong opinion from a fellow drummer/soundguy.

Boomerweps

• Members

Hi...I'm back. Was just too lazy to post over the weekend.

So, used the two SM57's on kick and it worked out fine. I really had the subs turned down anyway - Just enough on them to ad some "feel", but not much else. It must have been good enough because the crowd (and therefore the bar manager) loved us. We got promoted to Saturday nights with a bump in pay!

Anyway, I have to agree with all said here and we're looking into new drum mics. Actually, I'm looking but the drummer is buying.

With that said, please remember that we are a real crappy classic rock cover band that plays mostly at parties for our friends, with a paying gig thrown in once in a while (like the one above). So what are the best bang for the buck drum mic sets? Audix Fusion?

• Members

the best bang for the buck to me is the one that works the best and lasts for a long time. There are pretty much 3 standard kick mics right now. Beta 52, Audix D6 and AKG D112. It seems like the D112 is slowly starting to fall out of favor however.

I'd look for used examples of those and then go from there. I got a used D6 for 125 a couple of years ago and have seen the others for similar prices if not less.

• Members

never used it. I have used a couple of the Fusion tom/snare mics and I would say they are on par with the Shure PG series and other budget sets from the big makers.

A step up from the nady, DR, cad crowd but still not the real deal.

Would that be the Fusion (F) series or the DR6 (D) series?

• Members

Buy it right, buy it once. Get a pair of D6's and be done with it. After all, it's his money.

D4 was intended for a floor tom, D2 intended for a rack tom, and D6 for the kick. You can try a D4 on a kick but I'd recommend a D6 as the next significant step up from a 57.

Archived