Yamaha 512 Powered Mixer with pair of PR12's and pair of PR15's

• Members

Hi guys... thanks in advance for the help.

I just today purchased a Yamaha EMX512 powered mixer, 500 watts / channel at 4 ohms and a pair of Peavey PR12's and a pair of Peavey PR15's. Both model speakers are labeled as 400 watts program and 800 watts peak... they aren't labeled with RMS wattage. I assume they'd be 200 watts RMS based on the program and peak ratings.

I plan on running a PR15 and a PR12 on each channel and with each being 8 ohms I'd have 4 ohms per channel and I believe 400 watts RMS rating on the Yamaha that'll put out 500 watts at the 4 ohms.

My question is, the additional wattage available I believe is a safe 'overhead' safety margin and that this should be a good match? Is my thinking right, am I way off, are my speakers safe?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Road Ranger,

I have to ask this because I don't know if my replies to forum comments are being posted but I can't see them (some setting I need to change maybe?) or if they are just not getting thru or I'm not replying correctly.

Abzurd and AgedHorse asked why two different sizes, I responded, but I don't see my response on this forum. What am I doing wrong? I don't want them to think I'm ignoring them when I asked for help. Thanks.

• Members

Abzurd,

I've responded twice but haven't seen the reply posted here for either one... I'm trying again.

Two sizes for two reasons:

1) Vocals. My understanding was that the 15's aren't good for vocals so I added the 12's to help with that.

2) Flexability. I wanted one system to suit different situations.

a) Large venue: Use both 15's and both 12's

b) Little smaller: Use both 15's or a 15 and a 12

c) Little smaller yet: Use both 12's

d) smaller yet: Use just the 15 or the 12, etc.

I have a 12" powered speaker I use for a monitor. We have just 2 guitars and vocals (sometimes a trumpet) No drums or bass.

• Members

I didn't think that would cut it for some of the outdoor shows where I thought we'd have to move a bit more air. Aug 14 we do have an outdoor show where a bass player will joiun in as a guest on about 30 minutes of playing time. Knowing that, I wanted to again be prepared with a flexible setup.

Im 60, and the thought of just using 10s was tempting... but golly, the PR15's seem light even to me.

I'll admit my setup may not be logical to some but I thought it would work for me... my concern was whether or not the amp and speaker load was compatible... I don't want to blow things up.

• Members

Mixing 12's and 15's may sound good in simplistic theory but in practice is of no advantage and may be less towards your goals than like cabinets. I would have recommended 4 x PR-12's (actually I would have recommended 2 x a better quality cabinet but that's another discusion) if that was your intent.

• Members

I considered a Peavey 8600 which was 600 watts per side as oppossed to the Yamaha's 500 watts per side. It was a little more money but I thought the built-in compressors were an advantage to my power matching and would cancel out the extra oooomph of the Peavey. I also considered an 800 watt per side behringer but comments on the board scared me away.

• Members

I'll admit my setup may not be logical to some but I thought it would work for me... my concern was whether or not the amp and speaker load was compatible... I don't want to blow things up.

If anything, you could use more amp. That mixer is 500 watts peak into 4 ohms. If you're using two speakers per side, they'd each get 250 watts peak, which according to your OP is less than one third of what the speakers can handle. That's not a whole lot of power for large venues or outdoor shows, although if you're just an acoustic act, you probably don't need a lot anyway.

FWIW, I would have bought two quality speakers instead of four budget ones.

• Members

I tried to get more but Guitar center and Sam Ash only had 2 powered mixers more powerful than the Yamaha EMX512.

They had a Peavey 8600 which was 100 watts more per channel and a Behringer pmp4000 which was 800 per channel but Ive heard so much bad talk about Behringer I was afraid to go with it.

I haven't opened the Yamaha Mixer box yet... should I go back and get the Peavey? They didn't have it in a box, said it was discontinued.

I don't want to get into seperate poweramps and rack equipment... it's overkill. We don't play acoustic guitars, they're electric but we play soft jazz, blues, classic rock without drummer or bass normally so it's softened up.

Let me know what you think on the Peavey instead but even so, that's only going to be 300 (instead of 250) to each speaker per channel.

• Members

I tried to get more but Guitar center and Sam Ash only had 2 powered mixers more powerful than the Yamaha EMX512.

They had a Peavey 8600 which was 100 watts more per channel and a Behringer pmp4000 which was 800 per channel but Ive heard so much bad talk about Behringer I was afraid to go with it.

I haven't opened the Yamaha Mixer box yet... should I go back and get the Peavey? They didn't have it in a box, said it was discontinued.

I don't want to get into seperate poweramps and rack equipment... it's overkill. We don't play acoustic guitars, they're electric but we play soft jazz, blues, classic rock without drummer or bass normally so it's softened up.

Let me know what you think on the Peavey instead but even so, that's only going to be 300 (instead of 250) to each speaker per channel.

What RoadRanger said. Passive mixer, two good powered speakers. I'd return it all and start again. How much did you spend?

• Members

The sales guy shoed me some Harbingers, forgot the wattage though, but they were so darn heavy I couldn't lift them. Being 60 now, I'm always trtying to keep the weight of everything to 35lbs each or less.

Do you know of anything 500 watts or mo, 12's or 15's, that would weigh 35lbs or less?

• Members

The sales guy shoed me some Harbingers, forgot the wattage though, but they were so darn heavy I couldn't lift them. Being 60 now, I'm always trtying to keep the weight of everything to 35lbs each or less.

Do you know of anything 500 watts or mo, 12's or 15's, that would weigh 35lbs or less?

Don't get too hung up on wattage. What's your budget?

These are 41 pounds.

http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-series/art-312-a

• Members

The Peavey PR12D's are 29lbs and would be significantly louder (and better sounding) than what you have. Maybe driven from a Yamaha MG124CX mixer?

Also check out the recent threads on the RCF 310A and Titan speakers. I presently own a pair of the PR12D's (and others) and am in the process of ordering up a pair of the 310A's. Outdoors you definitely need subs if you are going to have any kickdrum or bass in the system.

• Members

Well this will be a stupid question but if I went that route, how does this work... do I set the volume/gain on each powered speaker to 100% and control volume/gain from mixer? What about the EQ on each powered speaker... do it set it all flat/netral and control it from the mixer?

I haven't opened the mixer box or my two PR12's yet... I can return them. The PR15's I did open but I have 30 days satisfaction guarantee and can return those as well.

Archived