Help! Outdoor Sound System??

• Members

I've gotten involved in a project helping a guy set up a PA system for a outdoor 'barrel racing' (y'know? Horses!) arena.

It's not that the arena is that big (although I haven't seen it yet) but I'm thinking this guy is going to want permanent outdoor speakers and I'm not that familiar with the issues or what type of speaker system might work.

So, someone please tell me about the current state of the art or suggestions regarding outdoor speakers if you can help.

Thanks!

• Members

Depends entirely what he wants to do. Generally, 70 volt is not necessary or even a good idea depending on needs. More details needed.

I have done maybe 40-50 arenas in my time, all kinds of applications. I will occassionally even run a a barrel pattern ;)

• Members

Ok, guys. Thanks for all the comments. I was supposed to go look at this operation this morning but the weather sucks so it's been put off till next weekend. (Going to ride a horse and look for morel mushrooms while I'm at it!)

I'll post again once I've seen the place and have more details on what the guy is trying to accomplish...

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, here we go guys. I finally got to this place to wire up this 'system' for the horse arena. These folks purchased a Weltron 30 watt amp and mixer, a Weltron outdoor horn (30 watt, 8 ohm), had a used Bogen outdoor horn (30 Watt, 8 ohm) and a OLD EV horn. (Model 825) Can't find the specs for the 825 but EV has an 850 model that specs out at 60 Watts. They also have a Behringer 15" woofer with horn rated at 8 ohms.

Here's a link to the amp and specs if you want to see it: http://www.weltronproducts.com/Weltron_Mixer_Amplifier_p/wa-303.htm

Here is my question: the rear of the amp has all screw type connectors. Uses a COM (ground) and also has output terminals for 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 25 watt and 75 watt. The factory wiring video insists on using the com and 75 w outputs and wiring the horns in parallel. I'm not familiar with this '75 watt' deal.

So, I wired the horns up just to test the system. The Weltron horn is smaller and therefore 'tinny' but works pretty good. The Bogen is weak, but that's OK as we pointed it at the semi-outdoor bar behind the announcers booth where we didn't need as much volume. I really thought the ancient EV horn was going to be the weak link but that old horn totally kicks ass.

So, I wired the horns to the '75 watt' output but wired the Behringer speaker to the 8 ohm lug. The system sounds surprisingly decent. But, I'm wondering if I should (or could) wire the Behringer speaker to the '75 watt' outlet also?

Anybody got any ideas on this?

If they had let me order the equipment, I would have done it differently, but this is what I have to work with.

Thanks,

UMT

• Members

:snax:

For starters last I knew "watts" didn't start with a "v"
:facepalm:
. If I was you I'd disconnect everything and walk away before you blow something up.

sounds like he hooked it up right, but yeah thats a 70 volt amp hookup not a "watt"

• Members

Correct on the 70 VOLT. Hey, it's a holiday and I have a hangover! Ha....

I guess what I don't understand is what the 70volt vs the 4/8 ohm outputs is all about.

UMT

• Members

So, he's got it fully loaded with an 8 ohm speaker on the 8 ohm out and then added three horns that may or may not have 70V transformers on them and are set to unknown taps to the 70 volt output - all on a 30 watt amp? Sounds like a smoke show to me :D .

• Members

Ranger,

I tried to keep the explanation of the system as simple as possible. Yes, the horns all have 70v transformers and I have the taps set. I followed the factory wiring instructions to the letter.

If they get a smoke show,,,, oh well. Maybe they'll let me order the equipment next time.

Once again, I don't understand the difference between the 70v outlet vs. the 4/8 ohm outlets and the proper way to utilize them.

Thanks,

UMT

• Members

So, he's got it fully loaded with an 8 ohm speaker on the 8 ohm out and then added three horns that may or may not have 70V transformers on them and are set to unknown taps to the 70 volt output - all on a 30 watt amp? Sounds like a smoke show to me
:D

the load does sound really wrong, i didnt do any math but it seems like a triple overload.

• Members

the load does sound really wrong, i didnt do any math but it seems like a triple overload.

OK, let's try this: how would you guys recommend that I wire this thing?

Thanks,

UMT

• Members

well i'm no expert on 70V distribution but i believe the load is supposed to be in the neihborhood of 80% of the ampacity of the amp. i just did a 70V install with 4 JBL boxes and a crown 280A and i just squeaked by with that 80% value, and the JBL boxes have switchable taps on the rear.

i'd recommend getting help from a knowledgable 70V distribution system tech.

• Members

Woefully wrong equipment for the job. Coster's suggestion leaves 15 watts for the Behringer, not going to cut it.

Now I know why the Rodeos that travel through our arenas smile so much. Because they get screwed up the ass by set-ups like this.

• Members
Coster's suggestion leaves 15 watts for the Behringer, not going to cut it.

That was my suggestion not his so I'll take the "blame" ;) . That's about the best you can do with those components, yes? My "OK" was as in "won't blow up the amp" not as in "will actually work well". Perhaps 15w to a Behringer will get it to last a while :lol: but with 30 watts he's be better off losing the 'ringer and giving each horn 10 watts - my advice is still "walk away" before you get too much of that on your shoes ;) .

Archived