line array vs ground stack

• Members

I've got a show in the early fall where (I'm subcontracted, not in charge) the agent would like 4 boxes per side of EV SX500+ over MTL1X or a similar vain (JBL SRX would be a slight improvement). I don't have any EV stuff person so I'd be cross-renting these very boxes and power from a good friend. And the agent and all of us are friends and work together. Point being, we can use something suitable from anyone. But I'll have to cross rent something. sooo...

What would be a similar setup in line array math, and can it even be done for the relatively low budget I'm being quoted here. Outdoors, 1500 people. I'll have to make some calls here but lets find out.

• Members

What is the throw you are trying to acheive? I'm not sure 4 per side of the Sx500+ will do 1500 any better than your JBL rig will, and I'd be much more inclined personally to use your rig. If you can ground stack 4-8 double 12's per side on top of the appropriate subs for the venue, depending on the type of music, that may be a starting point. A line array may work for your situation, but it'll be more of an expense because of the rigging required to get it off the ground.

A line array really needs 4 boxes per side to start to acheive the desired effect.

• Members

Is that enough rig for 1500 people?

A line array may work for your situation, but it'll be more of an expense because of the rigging required to get it off the ground.

If the stage is high enough, you could ground stack the line array on the stage and get it over people's heads. Coverage wouldn't be ideal, but it could get the job done.

-Dan.

• Members

I do up to 2k with my rig now: 2x SP225 (dual 2226+2447) over 2x SP128S (dual 2242) perside, not at ear bleading levels mind you but I've done maybe 20-30 shows with that head count, all have buybacks from it.

The only options I can think of really would be like the peavey VR112 (4/side) and use my dual 18's (2 or 3 per side). I'd spend more on the damn rental than its really worth. And really I'm not making anything off it if it's outside what I can provide w/o a cross rental. Well, I'm not making it with the in-house gear. grr.

The wierd thing is I do the math: 4x EV SX500+ 4x 15+1"exit. 2x SP225's is 4x 15's & 2x 1.5"exit. From my math too the EV isn't as nice a box. But whatever, I'm not writing the check on this one.

• Members

I say you need to buy every Peavey FH-1 and SP-1 you can find, and build a wall of them on each side and line the entire front of the stage with FH-1's as well.

Take off all the name plates. And tell people it is this new design called "The Wall of Death".:thu:

:D

• Members

4 x SRX-712M's over subs per side and you have a potent, compact rig. I think that for reasonable SPL's you would be fine.

Could run into some combing issues? 90 deg horizontal coverage. I've never tried to array these boxes.

Archived