Need help finding value of this guitar.

dthines84

• Members

Hey folks, I'm starting to get that itch for new gear, and want to sell my Dean Soltero SL with Spalted Maple top. Only problem is, they only made 100 of them, and I've literally never seen another one, let alone a price-point on them. Does anyone have a resource for finding rare guitar values? I want to make sure I get the most from the sale/trade.

• Members

Ten minutes ago I knew nothing about the Dean made Soltero SL , but from what I just read they have a USA made one and and MIJ one.I also saw nothing about the splated maple top. I'm sure if you have a USA made Dean or a MIJ Dean?

One piece of advice I can give you about ditching out stuff and grabbing new gear, is take your time and let it ride. Stick it in the closet if you have too. Some of the best decisions I have made was to stick a guitar under the bed or in the closet. I have stuff I paid 100's of dollars for at the time and is now worth 1000's.

New gear comes out all the time, do be the guy that says, I remember when I had one of those, it was one of my favorite pieces of gear I have ever owned.

1 of 100 you say.

On that note I get the itch after ever NAMM show. There's always some new and cool to buy.

My purchase this year was a Gibson ES 275 figured top.

I didn't sell anything to buy it.

Every pay check I dump 100-200 dollars in an a gear fund I have set up, and at the end of the year, walla. Some years nothing hits my fancy.

That's how I do it.

What's on your must own new gear list?

• Members

Mikeo, I totally get what you're saying. About 13 years ago, I sold a guitar to pay car insurance, and being in the pre-google era, I had no idea what I was selling. It was a Fender Katana, MIJ from 1984-85 and super rare. I've never seen another one in person.

That sale still haunts me, especially since I bought and sold that one for around $250 (they sell for around $1200-$1500 now).

That being said, I tend to live a bit of a nomadic lifestyle, so being bogged down by a big collection of guitars doesn't really work for me. The Dean is a beautiful guitar, and plays very well, but it just doesn't lend itself to my playing style very well.

DaddyMack, I've scoured Reverb, and haven't found much. I really wish Dean had a serial number decoder available online.

Archived