Göldo Backbox: any users/physicists/engineers?

eyobeez

• Members

Been playing my Peavey Tracer a lot lately (sickazz guitar for $150), and after some Googling I learned the Kahler Spyder bridge in this guitar has two zero points, i.e. when the bridge idles after some heavy wiggling, the guitar goes out of tune. I can get it back in tune with some strategic pulling and pushing on the bar, and I will sometimes have to make adjustments with the fine tuners.

I'm using Boomers or DRs, nut clamps are brand new and they're tight but not reefed on. Bridge clamps have some grooves in them, but I have them screwed in very tight.

I could try replacing the bridge screws (unlike Floyds, the knife edges on Spyders are on the post screws), filing the part of the bridge into which the screws' edges are inserted, buying new bridge clamps, OR I could spend $25 on a Goldo Backbox.

Is one Backbox on one side of the spring claw going to help? Or does it have to be in the middle between the spring claw and the bridge? I've seen Ibanez's take on this mechanism and it has two springs: one for each side of the claw.

How's installation? How much will it affect floating bridge feel? Are there better products?

TL;DR floating bridge puts guitar out of tune. Pretty sure the problem is the bridge and its two zero points. Will a Goldo Backbox be the answer to my deepest prayers?

--Ethan

• Members

Just cranked them down a little bit more, and it definitely helps. I never wanted to tighten them too much because someone told me it would wear them out too fast. First locking trem; livin and learnin. Thanks badpenguin!

• Members

That guitar uses a blade fulcrum. Using a Göldo Backbox wouldn't be a good idea.

Pressure from both the strings and the springs are balanced on the blade edge as a pivot point like a sea saw. If you pull up on the whammy and The goldo has enough back pressure you could dislodge the blade from its pivot joint. (Think of a sea saw with a box under one end. If you lift the other end up the box will stop the board from dropping and the Board will lift out of the groove in the center)

A spring isn't as bad as actual stopper commonly used on fender vibratos. Fender bridges use screws through the bridge plate so thay cant dislodge.

What you want to use instead are one of these Hipshot Tremsetter's which uses bi directional springs to return the bridge to its neutral position. The site has a video on how its installed and operates. http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Bridges_and_Tailpieces_for_Electric_Guitar/Hipshot_Tremsetter.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31941393[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived