Mic through guitar wireless?

• Members

I need to come up with a quick wireless lavalier mic set up for a wedding ceremony.

Rather than buying a whole new mic/transmitter set up to go along with one of my existing hand-held mic receivers, is there any reason I can't just wire a standard lav mic into a guitar wireless transmitter? Signal is signal, right? Especially just for the quality-level needed for a preacher during a wedding ceremony?

• Members

Should work provided you have a compatible microphone - dynamic or a condenser with a battery/switch in line. Some wireless lav systems are just the guitar transmitter with a lav mic.

Thanks, that what I figured. When I was pricing out compatible transmitters for the wireless mic units I have and then looked over at the two unused guitar wireless systems sitting next to me I just kinda went....duh....

• Members

What system(s) do you have available to you? With most of the mid to higher end systems I've used a body pack is a body pack. The cable/mic is detatchable and you can put a quarter inch cable or a lav or horn mic on it, using a TA-F4 or screw in 1/8th" TRS connector, and adjust the input gain on the body pack to match the input.

• Members

What system(s) do you have available to you? With most of the mid to higher end systems I've used a body pack is a body pack. The cable/mic is detatchable and you can put a quarter inch cable or a lav or horn mic on it, using a TA-F4 or screw in 1/8th" TRS connector, and adjust the input gain on the body pack to match the input.

This. The guitar cable itself sometimes is used to match the impedance of the guitar output and the transmitter input. That said, it is usually not a problem to plug a low impedance source into a high impedance input, as long as the noise doesn't kill you. Most mic inputs are 1 to 2 k Ohms. Most microphones have output impedance of something like 50 to 200 Ohms. Guitars, however, do not want to be plugged into a 1 k input, because they will be "loaded down" and sound very dull. So guitar inputs are 300 k Ohms and more, perhaps 1 M or more. The only downside of plugging a microphone into such a high impedance is the noise, usually in the form of hiss.

The other issue is bias power for your lav mic. Most wireless beltpacks provide this voltage on one of the pins. So, all you have to do is get a lav mic that is wired for your transmitter pack, and you're good to go.

• Members

It should be noted that Audio Technica transmitters have 2 inputs, one for mic level and the pother for instrument level. The impedances are appropriate for their corresponding sources as well. Older transmitters allowed both inputs to be active and included a 2 channel mixer on the transmitter too. GREAT solution for a gtr with a pick-up and mini-condenser mic.

Archived