Gibson territory?

mschafft

• Members
OK. So I guess I'll post on other forums when I want to discuss Gibson products because I'm extremely critical towards the brand's approach to its heritage and to guitar playing in general. Still' date=' I'm glad to be back and look forward to sharing ideas with other users.[/quote']

One of my guitars is a Gibson. It's OK. Not wonderful, not schlock. It's better than I am, at any rate. Can I criticize features? Sure. Would it matter? Not so much. Could I offer feedback to Gibson? Sure. Would it matter? Maybe, maybe not... but that's pretty much the case with any product, any manufacturer, any brand... where the customer partly drives the market, but where production issues and economics tends to limit the manufacturer's freedom.

Criticize away. Let the chips fall. Doesn't sound like anyone here will have any heartburn over that.

-D44

OK. So I guess I'll post on other forums when I want to discuss Gibson products because I'm extremely critical towards the brand's approach to its heritage and to guitar playing in general. Still' date=' I'm glad to be back and look forward to sharing ideas with other users.[/quote']

Show me any examples of where someone on staff here at HC (mods / admins) ever edited, deleted or chastised someone about a complaint about a Gibson product that they posted. I don't think you'll be able to find any, but if you do, I will personally reprimand the person responsible. We don't censor honest opinions that are posted here. We didn't do it when Guitar Center owned the site and people posted complaints about them either... and we're not going to start now.

If you want to talk about Gibson products and voice your opinions, you can feel free to do so here without fear of censorship. :wave:

• Members

I've never felt that I couldn't express my point of view on a brand or product here. My stance on Gibson is clear: I love Epiphone because they're inexpensive, quality guitars. I can't say the same for Gibson's actual MIA guitars. The only USA brand that has never let me down in quality is Rickenbacker, though I don't play mine often.

And also, I think it's worth pointing out that I'm not angry in any of my posts in this thread. There's no fighting or name calling from either side of the fence either, which I appreciate. I simply have a cynical point of view about corporations and their involvement in advertising online. I mean, there's a subreddit called Hail Corporate that points out advertisement in seemingly normal online posts. Psychologically, we're all advertising for brands when we even say their name, which is why corporations pay for film and music producers to incorporate even a minuscule reference to their products in media. When I took a media class in high school, we watched a typical, forgettable Hollywood popcorn flick, and my teacher paused it right after one of the characters mentioned Walmart. He said, "Walmart probably paid thousands of dollars for the screenwriters to put that in."

I think Harmony Central is a quality board and format for information and discussion, which is the only reason I'm here.

• Members

Well, Craig, I will call you out on one factual piece you misstated: "I know how to write."

:cool:very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

Seriously, I think your defense and explanation was very gracious, if indicative of some heightened sensitivity. Don't worry about it so much. A long, LONG time ago I had editorial control somewhere, and was accused of playing favorites. I did! I describe that as "editorial outlook" and if that wasn't good enough, well, personal choice is a beautiful thing.

• Members

Everyone operates with a bias whether they realize it or not. There's nothing wrong with that. We're all human and have emotions, likes, dislikes, and apathy that we base our lives around. I don't like Ska music, so I don't write about Ska music on my blog. I generally write about things that I like because that makes for the most passionate writing and information. If I were in a professional journalistic setting, I would request not writing about Ska because I wouldn't be able to give an informed review of Hop Scotch 1000's latest album for their fans.

Of course, if Hop Scotch 1000's record label, Ski Ski in Miami, employed me, I'd probably be inclined to give them good reviews. Doesn't mean I couldn't give Panic at the Disco good reviews too. If someone on the internet, God forbid, accused me of bias, I'd probably agree with them. Ski Ski in Miami wants to sell CDs, after all.

Now, if Fender hired me to moderate their forums while also writing reviews for their latest Squier Trail Blazer guitar and amp line, I'd probably operate under a bias as well. They'd encourage me to hype it up on the forum and write tasteful reviews. Does that make me a bad person? No. But it does make me withhold my actual opinion if I don't like playing a $399 guitar and $295 solid state amp with on board effects.

• Moderators

To be honest, I give people a tad more credit in their choice of guitar purchases than reviews they read on forums or magazines.

We all know that no matter what integrity an online or paper publication appears to have re it's public persona, gifts exchange hands.

I tend to think that people like Guthrie Govan prostituting himself to anybody who'll make him is next signature guitar influences people more than any review in an online forum. Mention Craig Anderton in any UK music circles, and they won't have a clue.

Archived