In this thread we help Steve fix his monitors...

• Members
How did you come up with that figure? Whether it's 200 watts or 20,000 watts they still get accidently unplugged and can short out.

Doesn't seem to bother good amps. More of a problem than the "accidentally" is that folks don't know to plug in the speaker end first, then the amp end - and to unplug the amp end first. I guess that's a bit counter-intuitive? I see that happen when someone wants to move a monitor or start to tear down without powering the amps off first.. In any case 1/4" work fine for lower power levels and there is no practical advantage to changing your whole monitor system over.

• Members
Nope. On those old Peavey's it controls the level of the entire box. Actually, I think Peavey still makes some like that.

Those controls were the only weak spot on those boxes assuming you didn't overpower them. The Piezos back then were all Motorola and way superior to the Chinese knockoffs you mostly see now.

• Members

we have a couple of those peaveys in our practice setup and they sound surprisingly good. if i didnt know they had two piezos in them i would think they were not piezos by the sound quality.

they dont sound like piezos, at least no what i think of them..

• Members

Doesn't seem to bother good amps. More of a problem than the "accidentally" is that folks don't know to plug in the speaker end first, then the amp end - and to unplug the amp end first. I guess that's a bit counter-intuitive? I see that happen when someone wants to move a monitor or start to tear down without powering the amps off first.. In any case 1/4" work fine for lower power levels and there is no practical advantage to changing your whole monitor system over.

Some newer amps have pretty good protection but this exposes the vast majority of power amps to an un-necessary AND very real risk of increased failure. It does happen and pretty frequently IME.

• Members

Those controls were the only weak spot on those boxes assuming you didn't overpower them. The Piezos back then were all Motorola and way superior to the Chinese knockoffs you mostly see now.

If you don't mind their midrangy and kind of honky sound quality IMO.

• Members

You have just explained a very good reason to change!

I find it strange that you would bother to defend something as out dated, unreliable and inferior as the 1/4" speaker jack! Do you also prefer trs plugs over XLR's?

Switching to Speakons is one of the least expensive pro upgrades you can make to your system. When I see 1/4" plugs, I think "rookie".

• Members
When I see 1/4" plugs, I think "rookie".

IMO if you care about the gear snobs that is a great reason to upgrade. If you are running stoopid high power to your monitors (or they are biamp'd) that's another. Personally I've never had a problem with decent 1/4" stuff. But then I predate SpeakOn so became comfortable with 1/4" by necessity LOL .

• Members
Some newer amps have pretty good protection but this exposes the vast majority of power amps to an un-necessary AND very real risk of increased failure. It does happen and pretty frequently IME.

I don't remember any of them Peavey "CS" amps thirty years ago being bothered by it ;) .

• Members

IMO if you care about the gear snobs that is a great reason to upgrade. If you are running stoopid high power to your monitors (or they are biamp'd) that's another. Personally I've never had a problem with decent 1/4" stuff. But then I predate SpeakOn so became comfortable with 1/4" by necessity LOL .

That's cool, and I understand where you are coming from. I'm not so sure about that term "gear snobs". If you don't think you are being judged(rightly or wrongly) by what your equipment looks like, you are mistaken.

• Members

I don't remember any of them Peavey "CS" amps thirty years ago being bothered by it
;)

Some indeed were. They were also pretty overbuilt in order to handle this sort of thing, and pretty slow overcompensated designs which was a good thing given the market they were being sold to. People who did stupid things routinely because they didn't know better or didn't care.

Archived