HF beaming from a combo

Tomm Williams

• Members

Ok finally got the foam and here's the results. First off, the foam came with a layer of adhesive plastic sheeting on the back which told me right off this wasn't going to work well. I cut the foam to dimensions and stuck it in, the first impression was it sounded really bad. However.............it did work to a degree in that I could walk much farther from center with no discernible change in the sound. I think if I can find some foam without the plastic backing I might try it again.

• Members

^^ Yea I can see that being a problem. The sound isn't going to pass through the adhesive backing very well.

You know you could probably do the same thing using a thick piece of cloth in back of the grill cloth. Something like a layer or two of Denim might do the job cutting down on the highs. you wouldn't have to pull the speaker to try it either, just lay it over the front of the cab and see what cloth works best.

Personally I'd try the disk. Cut a piece of round cardboard maybe 6" round, glue it to a thin stick like the kind you use for mixing paint then wedge it in between the grill cloth and opening to test it. If that doesn't cut it, get a different speaker. The one you have has a big upper mid spike that's giving you those ice pick tones. Most speakers beam, its just the frequency they beam which can be annoying.

• Members
. . . You know you could probably do the same thing using a thick piece of cloth in back of the grill cloth. . . .

. . . If that doesn't cut it, get a different speaker. The one you have has a big upper mid spike that's giving you those ice pick tones. Most speakers beam, its just the frequency they beam which can be annoying.

Once again, the OP likes the sound on axis, "ice pick tones" and all. That's not the issue and never has been. Yes, speakers beam to one extent or another. A typical 12" like the OP's starts to beam somewhere around 540Hz, well below the peak at 2.5KHz or so. Denim could possibly work in place of foam. Again, the folks at EV had good luck with felt. If I were using denim, I'd want to treat the edges somehow so they wouldn't fray. A local craft store should have something that would work.

• Members

Just to experiment, I took a spare Bag End 200 watt 12" I had laying around and stuck it in. The beaming was not as pronounced and it actually sounded pretty good. Apparently that model of Eminence is "beamy" by design so I'll look around for something else to put in it.

• Members

Yes, but can you *read* for yourself? Here's what the OP wrote a week ago: ''Correct, this amp sounds nearly as good as any other amp I own...... From a limited position.'' No mention of ''ice pick tones.''

• Members

Again, Its absolutely none of your concern whether I can read what he posts or not.

I'm making suggestions that might help the OP - not you.

If you have a problem with that please exercise your option to put me on your ignore list.

• Members

OTOH, if you're making suggestions that *won't* help the OP, referring to nonexistent problems like ''ice pick tones,'' then it doesn't do anybody any good. I can't very well put you on my ignore list if it means letting you spread misinformation. You probably don't believe me but none of this is personal. BS is BS no matter who is posting it.

• Members
Based on previous favorable experiences' date=' I've ordered a Cannabis Rex to try in the Gretsch. I have one in my Bassman but really didn't want to remove the 34? screws to take it out !![/quote']

Pics of the Cannabis Rex show 8 screw holes. Anyway, good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

• Members

Pics of the Cannabis Rex show 8 screw holes. Anyway, good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

Sorry, I meant I was too lazy to remove the 34 screws on the back panel of a 2x12 bassman cab to remove the CR so I simply ordered one !!😄😄

Why Fender thought that many were needed is beyond me.

Archived