2012...you buying any gear this year?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I'm going to concentrate on working my system a bit more this year - work was pretty light last year. To that end, if I can find another Unity U15 at garage sale prices I'll probably pick it up so I will have two U15's a side for potential small outdoor fairs.... Maybe some lighter weight power amps as well, if the work warrants.

In some ways I'd like to go ultra small/high end powered FOH, but I wouldn't want to do the work that would be needed to pay off a big money system.

Looks like I'm doing a couple of light school installs in the next month so I'll at least get to spend someone else's money. Sometimes that's even more fun 'cause you get to scratch your GAS without going in the hole.

• Members

Otherwise, I kinda did my shopping early and scored four used Martin MX-10 scanners from a defunct night club. After new road cases (thanks, Audiopile!) and bulbs the whole affair was roughly the cost one new scanner.
:thu:

Locked myself up with these lights and Freestyler DMX for a few days and put together some very nice looks! This doesn't happen to be one of them, but it's the best crappy phone picture I have. Some proper truss and stands might be a 2013 investment. Until then, the cases will be my truss.

mx103.jpg

Very cool! I'm figuring on diving into colorchanging LED lighting this next year. Any advice?

• Members

Very cool! I'm figuring on diving into colorchanging LED lighting this next year. Any advice?

Wrong forum, but Pucks. Light output per dollar per flexibility, easy to store and transport... This is one product that they just got right. If your starting out with lighting, these should be your first fixtures.

• Members

Do you feel the old ones are beyond repair?

I bought some cheap ones hers ago when I was first starting to learn Spectrafoo. Thy have lived in my trailer for years in temperature extremes and been dropped once or twice by help. They have plastic internals. I have just decided it might be time to get something I trust like M30s or maybe TR40s. Nothing extravagant, but nothing bottle of the barrel this time.

• Members

Maybe a medium format digital console, just that I really don't have anything I dislike about my current analog rig. Really, nothing.

I was recently looking at this. Might I suggest a SC48? there is a long list of pros vs cons deciding between that and M7cl and some of didicos offerings but that is what worked best for us at the price point. A couple of our pushing factors were 2 Power supplies, better sound quality, and a bit more rider friendly for the large club touring market.

• Members

Wrong forum, but Pucks. Light output per dollar per flexibility, easy to store and transport... This is one product that they just got right. If your starting out with lighting, these should be your first fixtures.

Puck-style lights would be my vote, too.

• Members

The SC-48 is on the list too, but the Yamaha had proven to be more robust... at least from what I have seen.

I would agree its so hard to decide. But depending how many shows you have with multiple open mics the new dugan cards are amazing! Ive heard word as well that if you are looking at making a Yamaha purchase maybe wait until the summer as some new products may be in the works.

• Members

Looking back at what I bought in 2010 and 11' exceeded my realistic goals so I always try to aim low and let the gigs decide but the next will be our monitor system upgrade. Powered wedges and maybe some IEM's. And im looking to replace our FOH snake with a used multipin disconnect/split etc. Im hoping with more digital stuff hitting the market people will be off loading there used snakes.

Perhaps a trailer and some better outboard gear (Drawmer gates:thu:) And if we do really well or someone does very bad a cheap set of 618's:wave:

• Members

At a minimum, I need 2 more e609s. Plus there is a new DAW in my near future. And maybe a few more light fixtures. But as of now, the PA plan is to remain stable (unless I see a killer deal on another pair of 618XLFs)

Hey Mutha you have a good friend with 4 xlf's if you need them for a larger gig not too far to the south remember :)

• Members

I bought some cheap ones hers ago when I was first starting to learn Spectrafoo. Thy have lived in my trailer for years in temperature extremes and been dropped once or twice by help. They have plastic internals. I have just decided it might be time to get something I trust like M30s or maybe TR40s. Nothing extravagant, but nothing bottle of the barrel this time.

A lot of people suggest purchasing one reasonable quality mic (M30?) and a fist full of cheapies. The M30 is used as a comparison mic and with a transfer function (or whatever Spectrafoo calls it) and a reasonably flat response full range speaker, comparison traces can be made. All of the Phase and magnitude traces of the various mics can be captured, overlapped, compared, and saved. The M30 doesn't regularly go out on gigs so that it stays in good shape. Every once in a while, the cheapies are re-compared to the M30 to make sure their response hasn't changed from all of the times they hit the ground.

TR40s are pretty much bottom of the barrel but work perfectly fine for the measurments we take. I am not being negative...my measurement mic kit consists of two TR40s. When compared to a Behringer mic, the difference is not very big. Apparently the TR40 has been discontinued. Rational Acoustics now has the RTA-420 that sells for $89 and it would be a reasonable solution for multi-mics to accompany the M30.

• Members

I am getting an Allen & Heath ZED 10FX for home use as a karaoke mixer, and for use as a solo/duo small gig mixer.

I am deciding on one of the following:

A pair of JBL618S-XLF's to replace a pair Cerwin Vega CVA118's OR a StudioLive 16.4.2 to replace my venerable MixWiz.

• Members

We're settling on a standard amp rack that will replace all of our small system racks, and our monitor amp racks. Each rack will have 2 Lab Gruppen PL10000Q four ch. amps, and 2 Lab Gruppen LM44 processors. They can configure as 4 biamped mixes, 8 passive mixes, or 2 tri-amped mixes with 2 passive mixes. Shooting for 6 of these racks by year's end.

• Members

We're settling on a standard amp rack that will replace all of our small system racks, and our monitor amp racks. Each rack will have 2 Lab Gruppen PL10000Q four ch. amps, and 2 Lab Gruppen LM44 processors. They can configure as 4 biamped mixes, 8 passive mixes, or 2 tri-amped mixes with 2 passive mixes. Shooting for 6 of these racks by year's end.

Standardization is a wonderful thing.

Critical to remember to set the operating mode before powering up the speakers however, seen some hefty damage from somebody forgetting to do so and routing/xovers were not compatable with the speakers.

• Members

Hmm, this year I'm about losing gear weight. I just bought a carvin 2004L 4ch amp (300w @ 8) and it's been out 3 times. The engineers loved it for monitors, had one guy use it for stereo full range and 2 mixes. Anyway I might buy 1 or 2 more and sell off some QSC CX502s. If peavey ever gets the IPR5000 happening I may get 2 or 3 of those and replace the QSC PLX amp rack or Yamaha P7000 rack. And replace a mon amp rack with IPR3000's, maybe. $ could be good or bad this year, hard to tell.

My plan is to work with the 3-4 bands that are keeping me the busiest and push the hell outta rock-bot. Things are definitly looking up for RB, 4 nights a week with a couple privates a month. I'd really like to do a short tour down to cali (1 or 2 weeks), but I'd really have to make inroads now to get something by summer.

Other crap:

D6 (never owned one, like to)

more AC, maybe distro

2x E609's

couple dimmers + 4x par56

2x cheap tablets for rockbot musicians to read music off of.

I dunno, wish list....

• Members

Unfortunately I have to spend money on things that pay for the equiptment. I make more money having my kid DJ than I do with live sound. There are only 4 bands in the area that can draw enough to get the club owners to dig in their pockets, and I pretty much do 2 of them on a regular basis. Even then I get 3 Saturdays a month. I can send the DJ rig out twice a week, and a wedding reception pays twice what I can get with a band. Sad times. I've spent hours looking for any deals on equiptment and they seem to be few and far between. My working relationship with the club owners has insulated me from the "cutthroats" out there so far, but I'm not sure how long that will last. I can't imagine how you folks that do this on a large scale stay sane. Thank god I have a decent day job! I don't have a choice and have to buy a new laptop and really don't want to part with the 3G a MacbookPro costs. There goes my new GL2400.

Archived