2012...you buying any gear this year?

• Members

My dealers' annual inventory sale is coming up shortly, and every year for the past four years, I've been coming home with a bunch of gear. Last year, it was a pair of Yorkville U15p's, and a bunch of lighting stuff. From other dealers, I bought a StudioLive 24;4,2,, an Alesis HD24XR,,, a boatload of mics (at least a dozen) and cables. This year, I'm not so sure. I just don't seem to have that "fever" goin' on. Maybe I'm catching a case of "tightwaditis".

How about you?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My gear buying for this year will be limited to possibly just a few mic's and some stands.

The big purchase I am planning (hopefully just a few months away) is a new vehicle to transport all of my equipment in!

I need something to replace my 93 F150, even though it still runs incredible and owes me nothing....it's just seen better days, and I hate it when I have to put money into it.

Last year it cost me $1500 to get it to pass inspection, needed to have the whole front frame support replaced....as it was no longer their! Nothing was holding the radiator in place except the hoses.....

I can't complain, it never left me stranded anywhere in the 19-years that I have owned it (purchased new with 3-miles on it).

Thinking of a new GMC 2500 series van.... That should only set me back about $28K!

• Members

I am planning on several mic stands, some new mics, and some new mic cables. Additionally, I am also considering new racks and stacks. Peavey versarray system with 4 tops and 2 subs per side, 2 amp racks, 2 vsx26. This way I can split the system into 2 smaller ones when the needs are not so big. Also, an additional SL 16.4.2 and 2 racks to house them.

• Members

I bought a barely used set of EV SX-300s about a month ago as an upgrade from my Yamaha Club 112s. I've been trying to sell the Clubs. I have sold an old Soundtech power amp and I plan on replacing it with something with an internal crossover that will give me at least 500 watts or so for my sub and 700 at 4 ohms for my pair of tops. Prime candidates are the Yamaha P5000S, Peavey IPR 3000 and QSC GX5. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha because of satisfaction with my P3500S and a little configuration flexibility it would give me. I also plan on buying some Speakon ended cables to replace some of my 1/4" stuff.

• Members

Some more K&M stands/booms

One more Audiorail

EV DC One

Yamaha MY16AT for the monitor console

Flight case for the monitor console

1-2 reference mics for Spectrafoo (the old ones are getting pretty ragged)

1-2 stage snakes to fit our new stageplot

And I have to admit I am seriously interested in the new A&H GLD if it comes out well received. That could change a few of the purchases above. I am also considering a switch to Lab Gruppens although I wish I could find the budget for Powersoft/Camco.

Oh yea, and a larger trailer. Bought the current one last year and outgrew it this year.

• Members

My gear buying for this year will be limited to possibly just a few mic's and some stands.

The big purchase I am planning (hopefully just a few months away) is a new vehicle to transport all of my equipment in!

I need something to replace my 93 F150, even though it still runs incredible and owes me nothing....it's just seen better days, and I hate it when I have to put money into it.

Last year it cost me $1500 to get it to pass inspection, needed to have the whole front frame support replaced....as it was no longer their! Nothing was holding the radiator in place except the hoses.....

I can't complain, it never left me stranded anywhere in the 19-years that I have owned it (purchased new with 3-miles on it).

Thinking of a new GMC 2500 series van.... That should only set me back about $28K!

I sold my van that I had bought earlier this year. (wasn't using it). I'm going to buy a 5x8 enclosed trailer instead. Much cheaper in the long run. Only need to "plate" it once ($40 lifetime here in Quebec),,, very little maintenance,,, and definitely cheaper on gas.

I need some big subs to complete my set-up, but I'm divided. A pair of TX9s and an AP6040 power-amp would suit me just fine thank-you-very-much,, but that may have to wait another year. Hmmmm, mebbe if I buy one this year,,,and the other next year,,,, the pain ($$$$) would be somewhat reduced. ;)

• Members

I purchased two Yorkville NX750p speakers a few days ago. They arrived yesterday and I'm very happy so far! I'm in the process of dumping my passive speaker system; the powered stuff with the class D amps has become too good to pass up!

In a month or two I plan to get a StudioLive board and sell my Mackie and Yamaha boards. Probably the 16.0.2 but maybe the 16.4.2 - not sure yet; the 24 channel SL board is out of my price range. Once I get the board I can leave the racks at home! No more amp rack; no more processor rack.

The home studio will also see mic upgrades and maybe a new pre-amp as well. That will be in the summer or later though.

• Members

I spent a lot of money last year to put together the last main components in my ultra-compact PA rig, so this year I'll just be doing some minor fine-tuning.* Probably pick up a couple more K&M stands, and get a new small 3u rack for the FX and wireless to get rid of the plastic one I'm using now. Otherwise, I'm all set.

* The only thing that might tempt me to spend any serious money this year, would be if someone besides Presonus enters the compact digital mixer market with something really small and lightweight; like 8 or 12 channels. I'd love to have scene recall and a multitrack recording option, but right now I'm using a Soundcraft MFXi8 mixer and I just don't need more channels or AUX busses for the gigs we do. Even the little StudioLive 16.0.2 is bigger and heavier than I need (although my credit card trigger finger starts to itch, every time I look at it). I think there's a market out there for a really small digital mixer, and nobody is filling that niche.

• Members

If Peavey ever releases the IPR6000 (or whatever number they eventually assign to it) yeah. I would have purchased a couple of them last year.

If JBL releases a powered version of the SRX712 (or something of similar nature) I'd take a serious look.

I need a couple of LED scanners to replace my heavy gas discharge Fantasy Scans. But they need to be in the same ballpark output wise. Upper end LED scanners are very expensive right now. I hope the price comes down.

Other than that just little stuff here and there. But you never know ;)

• Members

I sold my van that I had bought earlier this year. (wasn't using it). I'm going to buy a 5x8 enclosed trailer instead. Much cheaper in the long run. Only need to "plate" it once ($40 lifetime here in Quebec),,, very little maintenance,,, and definitely cheaper on gas.

I need some big subs to complete my set-up, but I'm divided. A pair of TX9s and an AP6040 power-amp would suit me just fine thank-you-very-much,, but that may have to wait another year. Hmmmm, mebbe if I buy one this year,,,and the other next year,,,, the pain ($$$$) would be somewhat reduced.
;)

I debated the trailor thing many times and for me it just would be a major PIA at many of the venues I work at.

It would go nicely with my 06 Tundra....but I think a van would work best for me.

• Members

Therefore my purchases are limited to:

Cable Tester

dB Meter

Leatherman multitool

Maglite

Solder Station

If it's any help in making a decision, I'll suggest:

I've been packing various models of Leatherman multitools for approx. 30 years. Up until a year or so ago I exclusively carried the origonal Leatherman PST... which as I understand it, the PST model was discontinued a number of years ago... and I was having a hard time finding good used ones (I wear-out a PST innabout 2 - 3 years). Begrudging (dragged kicking & screaming)... I relented and opted for a Leatherman Wave. I've since warmed up to the Wave... there's a couple of things the PST had that the Wave doesn't (like the leatherpunch and small flatblade screwdriver), and a couple of things the Wave has that's a useless waste of metal as far as I'm concerned (like the "sissors" and whatever that rectangle thing next the the "sissors" is (???)... but I wouldn't go back to a PST.

• Members

My Shopping List for 2012: (most of which has been ordered)

Sennheiser EW300G3 IEM w/ 2 body packs

Sennheiser EW365G3 Mic - (replacing my last Shure ULX Beta87 wireless -- for sale soon!)

Audiopile C001DC Case - new cable trunk case, replacing cheapie eBay trunk cases. will stack my C001 case on top (drum hardware) for tighter packing in my box truck

Intellistage Drum Riser - 6'x9'... 16" rise. -- Will also be used as DJ stage on DJ solo shows

2x 2m Global Truss sections with steel plate base - Used as "totem" trussing, will mount moving heads on top.

4x Blizzard Lighting "original" PUCK LED lights. -- 2x as truss warmer, 2x as facing towards audience. Love the "snowflake" effect on the red LED's

American DJ Royal 3D laser -- love me some lasers.

2x Furman P2400AR Voltage Regulators -- will replace my power conditioners. (will also be for sale soon!)

Waiting To Buy:

Allen & Heath GLD with Stage Box -- waiting to see first impressions from NAMM

2 LED Moving Heads -- waiting to see if anything new comes out at NAMM

• Members

Considering more speakers. Maybe 4 of those EV ZXA5s (two 60 horns and two 90 horns). I could cover the small outdoor stuff better and scale down more easily for the indoor stuff than I can now with the pair of U15p. The weight is damn appealing, too.

Otherwise, I kinda did my shopping early and scored four used Martin MX-10 scanners from a defunct night club. After new road cases (thanks, Audiopile!) and bulbs the whole affair was roughly the cost one new scanner. :thu:

Locked myself up with these lights and Freestyler DMX for a few days and put together some very nice looks! This doesn't happen to be one of them, but it's the best crappy phone picture I have. Some proper truss and stands might be a 2013 investment. Until then, the cases will be my truss.

mx103.jpg

• Members

Maybe a medium format digital console, just that I really don't have anything I dislike about my current analog rig. Really, nothing.

Aw c'mon Andy. Loosen up that wallet,,, it's good for the economy. Oh,,,I know,,, what about a "power-conditioner",,, or a "sonic maximizer". ;)

• Members

Aw c'mon Andy. Loosen up that wallet,,, it's good for the economy. Oh,,,I know,,, what about a "power-conditioner",,, or a "sonic maximizer".
;)

Not convinced it would be an operational upgrade regardless of the money spent. I did just buy a dozen rack mount power "conditoners" for use as rack mount power strips.

• Members

In the last 2 weeks I've bought, via ebay, 2 Audix OM7 mics to replace our Sennheiser E835's and a 3U drawer to store crap in. I have no other real plans but I'm positive I'll end up buying "more stuff". Maybe another dance floor light.

Selling wise I have a few things - Driverack PX, 1U rack drawer, 1U rack shelf, 4U rack drawer, Gator mixer rack, some lighting, patch snake, maybe some 1U 31 band EQ's, Behringer EFX unit, Samson crossover, and other various odds and ends. I should put a list together and attach to my signature. It's all stuff I really don't need to sell, but haven't used in a while and really don't need.

Archived