What is in the future for live sound reinforcement?

• Members

Audiences will have their own wireless IEM's.

I love this! And the audience is already carying their receiving device today if the form of the cell phone. All thats needed is a way to broadcast the mix to a "conference call" party line.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I personally believe socioeconomics will have a bigger influence than technology on SR trends (and entertainment in general) over the next 20 years.

Over the next 20 years, I foresee a strong possibility at some local levels that we may experience some profound changes with many forms of entertainment, especially live performances based on likely changes in future agricultural practices and the resulting likelihood of significant relocation of populace to rural agricultural areas. I see it likely that acoustic music will see a significant resurgence as well as Grange hall dances... small rural community get-togethers for a significant portion of entertainment. I suspect urban areas will see some similar changes, as I suspect urban sprawl will likely diminish greatly, and an increasing percentage of the population will live & work in the same centralized community.

• Members

I love this! And the audience is already carying their receiving device today if the form of the cell phone. All thats needed is a way to broadcast the mix to a "conference call" party line.

I hope I never see the day when people go to a public venue with an opportunity to disconnect from their little digital world and connect with the real people around them, and instead go further into their personal cocoon. Actually, why bother leaving home then? There already digital "clubs" that bands can perform at.

• Members

I personally believe socioeconomics will have a bigger influence than technology on SR trends (and entertainment in general) over the next 20 years.

Over the next 20 years, I foresee a strong possibility at some local levels that we may experience some profound changes with many forms of entertainment, especially live performances based on likely changes in future agricultural practices and the resulting likelihood of significant relocation of populace to rural agricultural areas. I see it likely that acoustic music will see a significant resurgence as well as Grange hall dances... small rural community get-togethers for a significant portion of entertainment. I suspect urban areas will see some similar changes, as I suspect urban sprawl will likely diminish greatly, and an increasing percentage of the population will live & work in the same centralized community.

Man, I hope you are right!

• Members

ha ha - i'm 50 so i'm already starting out with 75-125ms performance latency!

Well light peak technology (thunderbolt) suppose to end the audio interface latency that's plagued most computer audio interfaces.

I heard the same thing when firewire was introduced just gotta wait and see when Motu, Apogee and Universal Audio comes out with one since all 3

companies are in the works on making one.

• Members

Well light peak technology (thunderbolt) suppose to end the audio interface latency that's plagued most computer audio interfaces.

I heard the same thing when firewire was introduced just gotta wait and see when Motu, Apogee and Universal Audio comes out with one since all 3

companies are in the works on making one.

We weren't even talking about this... cell phones. Read the post more carefully.

• Members

Really?

I strongly suspect a likely reality of the future will not be strongly embraced by the general populace... but I think it's probably better in the long-run.

What you describe may be our only chance of survival on this planet - we can't keep going on the way we are, but I am getting off subject.

• Members

What you describe may be our only chance of survival on this planet - we can't keep going on the way we are, but I am getting off subject.

I don't think it's off subject... but then my words didn't come out the way I meant them to. The question by the OP was the future of SR. I believe changes in how we live and work in the future could have a profound bearing on "our" industry. I personally believe the development of the Waterfront City Park area of downtown Portland, OR is one example that may offer some insight... where the waterfront freeway was removed and the area was revitalized as a place to live and work while offering a good quality of life atmosphere within a centralized community. I believe another indicating trend could be offered by the rapid growth of vineyards in this country as insight to the possible direction agriculture may be headed in the future. I have no doubts that large scale agriculture will change in the future... and I strongly suspect it will head in a direction that will involve considerably more human labor, not less. We have to eat... that's a given. The food has to come from somewhere. Our current large scale agriculture industry is based largely (almost entirely) on ever dwindling natural resources. Our possibly only increasing natural resource utilized by agriculture is the human population. Utilizing significantly more human labor could likely reduce the dependency on natural resources to produce food as well as produce higher nutritional value food crops. In the grand scheme of things, I'll suggest corn, wheat, potatoes, sugar beets, etc... (basically the mainstays of current industrial agriculture) are fairly resource intensive low nutritional value crops. I believe it's a likely scenario for the not too distant future (in-fact it's already begun) there will be some (possibly much) migration from the current vast acreages of monoculture cereal crops and similar to smaller scale "truck gardens" and similar where it's viable. This change would likely involve considerably higher levels of human labor to generate the food stuffs... resulting in pronounced increases in rural populations; therefore, reversing the trend of decreases in the percent of rural populations that we've experienced over the past 50 - 70 years.

All-in-all, I see urban sprawl subsiding in the future... and the country as a whole will gravitate to being somewhat less mobile resulting in centralized community lifestyles... which could have a profound effect on entertainment in general and the SR industry specifically... much more of a profound effect than some changes in the technology of the SR devices. Over the next 20 years, I believe changes in socioeconomic factors will drive the changes in SR technology rather than changes in SR technology driving the direction of the industry.

• Moderators

Audiences will have their own wireless IEM's.

Which will become worthless and illegal in about a year as their frequency is auctioned off so that more people can watch TV on their smartphone while they're ordering a latte' at star{censored}s. :idk:

*edit* I see I'm late getting in with this obvious prediction... ;)

Terry D.

• Members

I can dream so here are 3;

1-Holographic consoles with pretty much any format and size you need for the gig - everything from a Yammie PM1k to a Midas H3000 will project on a table and the user can decide the frame size. Holographic rack as well. Each coming from a box the size of a mac mini.

2- Da-Lite will introduce a pull down line array that weighs less than 50lbs.

I work at NASA and have a little insight here.

3 -My Grandfather once told me he gave a formula to NASA where he ripped acoustics out of the equation for space flight and used gas instead of air to get out the Solar System.:eek:
If this is true then I cant wait to strap a Meyer rig to the back of a Mercedes and pretend I'm in Spaceballs :badump:

• Members

All-in-all, I see urban sprawl subsiding in the future... and the country as a whole will gravitate to being somewhat less mobile resulting in centralized community lifestyles... which could have a profound effect on entertainment in general and the SR industry specifically... much more of a profound effect than some changes in the technology of the SR devices. Over the next 20 years, I believe changes in socioeconomic factors will drive the changes in SR technology rather than changes in SR technology driving the direction of the industry.

Profound.

I agree with you on most points. True our current agriculural model is based on the petrolium industry (as is everything else). Also true that the population is increasing (very much due to this hyper production). As we find less and less exploitable oil reserves and the population grows, the twain shall crash (I always wanted to say that). You are correct in that agribusiness will become more labor intensive and that the food grown will be more nutritious but the total tonage produced will drop signifigantly none the less. There will most likely be famine. Lucky for us (here in the U.S. and Canada) we live in countries that aren't grossly overpopulated and CAN sustain our own food supply (even using the techniques that nature intended - crop rotation, cover crops & occcasional fallow fields). You gotta hand it to the greed of Rockefeller and his lot. They did a lot to help screw up this world - but I digress. I believe your view of the probable socioeconomic changes is pretty accurate and THAT will effect our industry.

Good call.

• Members

Profound.

I agree with you on most points. True our current agriculural model is based on the petrolium industry (as is everything else). Also true that the population is increasing (very much due to this hyper production). As we find less and less exploitable oil reserves and the population grows, the twain shall crash (I always wanted to say that). You are correct in that agribusiness will become more labor intensive and that the food grown will be more nutritious but the total tonage produced will drop signifigantly none the less. There will most likely be famine. Lucky for us (here in the U.S. and Canada) we live in countries that aren't grossly overpopulated and CAN sustain our own food supply (even using the techniques that nature intended - crop rotation, cover crops & occcasional fallow fields). You gotta hand it to the greed of Rockefeller and his lot. They did a lot to help screw up this world - but I digress. I believe your view of the probable socioeconomic changes is pretty accurate and THAT will effect our industry.

Good call.

Don't you mean the Rothschilds their mission was to control every nations on the planet money supply. Rothschild said in his own words.

The one who controls the money supply of a nation makes the laws. According to American history books. The Rothschilds set up shop right after our independence was established with the First American Bank. 7 presidents later a hill billy out of TN. Andrew Jackson started a war with the 2nd American Bank owned by the Rothschild bankers and was the only POTUS to ever pay off the national debt in doing so by not allow the 2nd American Bank another 20 year charter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_War

• Members

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

I wonder if this is the kind of CHANGE we'll be SEEing on Thursday the 19th...

Peavey FX mixer do exactly what Telicurser posting about. I own a Presonus SL 1642 mixer along with a laptop and run real time plugin and virtaul instrument I trigger with 12 step usb/midi controler so I just step on the button I got synth,strings choir, ect.... Since I play bass and tap dance like Geedy does but I'm not nearly as good as Geddy is but havent had the 12 step pedal that long either.

Here's a sample video.

[video=youtube;VpM6nTK-CTw]

• Members

True our current agriculural model is based on the petrolium industry (as is everything else). Also true that the population is increasing (very much due to this hyper production). As we find less and less exploitable oil reserves and the population grows, the twain shall crash (I always wanted to say that).

What I think I know could possibly only be the tip of the iceberg... there could be quite a bit to it beyond petro demands.

What I think I might know (a quick over-view of some of the factors):

1) Energy usage: I believe the current estimates are that for every calorie of food substance ingested by the US population, approx. 10 calories of energy were expended to get that food to the dinner table... and if fossil fuels were replaced by human labor under the current system of conditions we've painted ourselves into, it would take about 3 weeks of work for one person to produce a day's worth of food for that one person.

2) Fresh water: A rapidly dwindling finite resource, especially if there's a desire to co-exist with nature.

3) Soil fertility: Much of the soils comprising our breadbaskets have been heavily mined of nutrients, organic matter, and the other basic building blocks of fertility... and probably currently couldn't sustain much of a crop without the continuing applications of massive enhancements. Developing large scale sustainable agriculture on our largely depleted crop ground could be one of the biggest challenges to lower or even slow our growing dependency on dwindling finate resources to produce our food stuffs.

4) The artificially enhanced evolution of pests: Bugs, diseases, weeds, etc... that have been evolved into being super pests through our use of pesticides. The food gene pool that can be minded to yield more resistant varieties is finite.

5) Arable ground: Definitely a finite resource. The good news is that there's quite a bit of good quality (some of the best) arable ground currently not being used to make food, the bad news is it's covered with cities, highways, golf courses, and such.

No doubt our current industrialized agriculture system is a fabulous machine, but it's a bit like a society commuting in hemi Cudas... very impressive and fun while it lasts, but probably not sustainable, and definately not very efficient... and might meet some serious difficulties scaling much further. Meanwhile one, and possibly the only, natural resource that is becoming more abundant all the time which is utilized in the production of food... being the human resource... that's the only resource we're using less of all the time... and arguably the biggest push by engineering has been and continues to be focused on how to additionally reduce our dependancy on that human resource.

I think change is inevitable. I think the inevitable change will happen gradually, almost unnoticed. I think some change is already happening and is already effecting "our" industry. An example might be the rising popularity of "farmer's markets"... which, besides offering a local source for locally grown and marketed food stuffs, arguably better food stuffs in some or many ways for both the consumer and the producer, these farmer markets is/are one of the few true growth markets I've seen materialize in our local area for "our" industry over the past couple of decades.

• Members

What I think I know could possibly only be the tip of the iceberg... there could be quite a bit to it beyond petro demands.

What I think I might know:

1) Energy usage: I believe the current estimates are that for every calorie of food substance ingested by the US population, approx. 10 calories of energy were expended to get that food to the dinner table... and if fossil fuels were replaced by human labor under the current conditions we've painted ourselves into, it would take about 3 weeks of work for one person to produce a day's worth of food for that one person.

2) Fresh water: A rapidly dwindling finite resource, especially if there's a desire to co-exist with nature.

3) Soil fertility: Much of the soils comprising our breadbaskets have been heavily mined of nutrients, organic matter, and the other basic building blocks of fertility... and probably currently couldn't sustain much of a crop without the continuing applications of massive enhancements. Developing large scale sustainable agriculture on our largely depleted crop ground could be one of the biggest problems.

4) The artificially enhanced evolution of pests: Bugs, diseases, weeds, etc... that have been evolved into being super pests through our use of pesticides. The food gene pool that can be minded to yield more resistant varieties is finite.

5) Arable ground: Definitely a finite resource. The good news is that there's quite a bit of good quality (some of the best) arable ground currently not being used to make food, the bad news is it's covered with cities, highways, golf courses, and such.

Ever heard of the Venus Project ? it's just a pipe dream of one man but it's cool pipe dream IMO

• Members

Ever heard of the Venus Project ? it's just a pipe dream of one man but it's cool pipe dream IMO

That idea has been around for quite awhile, most notably in the early days of nuclear power generation, when it was a widely held belief that nuclear power generation would produce power so cheaply that it wouldn't be worth metering. And... with abundant enough and cheap enough power, the cost of most everything else could be reduced to the point of not metering it, therefore eliminating the need for money.

It was also a widely held belief for awhile that the advent of engines (steam engines and then internal combustion engines) displacing beasts of burden would likely reduce the population of flies to being an endangered or extinct species.

eh?

Archived