Common/proper placement of bass rig on stage,

• Members

assuming a full PA (subs/tops) and signal to the board.

Relatively new to the stage, I've been putting my rig to my side facing across stage with slight variances according to the situation.

It was mentioned to me that this is not proper, and it should it be behind me. We're talking small bars, here.

I don't want to ask musicians about this, I want a sound guy's perspective.

What's normal, as in what you see other bands do, and more-importantly to me, what are your thoughts?

Thanks. :)

• Members

Is your rig carrying the house sound or are you in the PA as well? My wife cross fires her rig so the other players can hear it well without it being too loud, but she's pretty much always in the PA too. If your rig has to carry the house, the rest of the band probably doesn't want it pointed at them and some parts of the crowd will likely miss out on the higher frequencies which carry a lot of the subtleties like attack and string noise.

• Members

As a sound man, I prefer the amps on stage on the side of the stage facing in. Keep the stage sound on stage as much as possible. Sometimes an amp will sound quiet on stage but be loud at a further distance. If that amp faces the crowd you can throw off the house mix. All this being said, sometimes it's not practical to put the amp on the side of the stage. In that case a bit of an angle is all you can do.

• Members

Is your rig carrying the house sound or are you in the PA as well? My wife cross fires her rig so the other players can hear it well without it being too loud, but she's pretty much always in the PA too. If your rig has to carry the house, the rest of the band probably doesn't want it pointed at them and some parts of the crowd will likely miss out on the higher frequencies which carry a lot of the subtleties like attack and string noise.

As the person with the best bass hearing, I can always hear the bass. Our bassist is completely on the opposite side of the stage from me. I never have problems hearing him or any other bassist. And in every instant, I could use less bass. (Band's stage volume is about 107 dbc. Louder than I like, but not carried away.) You won't have me voting to aim the bass cabinet towards me. I never need more.

• CMS Author

assuming a full PA (subs/tops) and signal to the board.

Relatively new to the stage, I've been putting my rig to my side facing across stage with slight variances according to the situation.

It was mentioned to me that this is not proper, and it should it be behind me. We're talking small bars, here.

I don't want to ask musicians about this, I want a sound guy's perspective.

What's normal, as in what you see other bands do, and more-importantly to me, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.
:)

The lower ranges of bass get increasingly non-directional, so it won't matter where you point the rig as much as it would for a guitar speaker cabinet. As a bassist I've found I prefer the rig a bit further from me than standing on top of it, as it's easier to hear my tone and adjust (but it's much better to be in the audience for this).

Archived