Thoughts on this subwoofer for my application.

• Members

I've been window shopping, but just want to run this by in case there's any consideration I might have missed.

I'm looking for a powered sub to go with the RCF ART312a speakers I just ordered (presently figuring those for the mains) , and wondered if the following Sub would be a good choice.

I want to go with just one sub right now, and thinking this should be sufficient (hopefully better than sufficient) for indoor gigs. The most-heavy music will be Classic Rock and some more up-to-date material a new member is bringing, but still no metal or anything like that

• Members

That's a very good sub considering weight, output and price. Ideally you'd want a pair of them to match output with the tops and give you some reserve horsepower, but if you're running no subs now, even one will fill out the bottom end and let your tops breathe easier.

If I had a larger trailer it's the subs I'd have. We're just packed so tight now I can't go even a little bit larger.

• Members

With what is on the market now, I don't think you will get anyone to disagree with Abzurd. The PRX618XLF is a fantastic sub for the price. Near SRX quality sound with an amp for the price of an MRX setup (and you get the amp as well!).

• Members

That's a very good sub considering weight, output and price. Ideally you'd want a pair of them to match output with the tops and give you some reserve horsepower, but if you're running no subs now, even one will fill out the bottom end and let your tops breathe easier.

If I had a larger trailer it's the subs I'd have. We're just packed so tight now I can't go even a little bit larger.

I'm having to do this balancing act between "buy-once-cry-once" and money/time issues.

I was thinking about two less-expensive ones, but two decent ones would cost a lot more, and I'd rather buy one good one now and get another of the same later.

And what's below 100hz besides the kick and some bass; I guess I can make up a bit for that with my rig if I have to.

This band is vocals-centered, and I can live with less-than-ideal kick, although for the typical bar/club around here, I really think one of these would do the trick.

• Members

Only issue I have, and I know it's probably just I my mind, but asking 12" tops to cover down to 100hz just kinda scares me. If these powered top can be high-passed a bit higher, maybe I can get away with doing something like that.

• Members

As noted in another thread, there is general agreement that one good sub is better than two marginal ones. You will hear lots of love for the PRX 618sXLF. ( Not that there aren't other good subs and vocal supporters for those subs....). Mark C.

• Members

I love my xlf's I have 4. I run them in a variety of configs. I use prx625's, prx615's and k12's as tops. My 300 ish small club system is 4 xlf's with 2-4 625's depending on room width. I wrestled back and forth between the xlf's and the ls801's. The weight of the xlf's won out. if I was buying again I would still go with the JBL's. Do yourself a favor and called Charlie or Marc at Pro Sound Service in braintree mass.

• Members

It helps to remember that making a little more sound takes a lot more rig. For some folks, the type of music they're playing and the rooms they're playing in makes that bit more vital. Others can get by just fine with much less. I play in a vintage style blues band, and we almost never even use a sub indoors. I do run one for outside parties, and I think we may be the only blues band in the area that does.

If I was trying to pound the rock for 2 or 300 people it would be another matter altogether.

• Members

I've been window shopping, but just want to run this by in case there's any consideration I might have missed.

I'm looking for a powered sub to go with the RCF ART312a speakers I just ordered (presently figuring those for the mains) , and wondered if the following Sub would be a good choice.

I want to go with just one sub right now, and thinking this should be sufficient (hopefully better than sufficient) for indoor gigs. The most-heavy music will be Classic Rock and some more up-to-date material a new member is bringing, but still no metal or anything like that

• Members

My vote,,, for a nice "reasonably compact, yet great sounding sub,,, the Yorkville LS720p. I can easily place two of these- side-by-side, in the back-seat of the car.

I'll be adding some new larger subs shortly, but there's no way I'd even consider selling off my LS-720p's. Highly recommended.

• Members

I am almost in the same boat as marko and I was wondering the very same thing myself. If he's getting the rcf art speakers at 350w a side shouldn't he be gunning for subs around 700 watts? I see they make a prx618 that is 600w for $1000.

The 618XLF's will walk all over the PRX618. It's a MUCH bigger sub, physically, and acoustically..

• Members
It helps to remember that making a little more sound takes a lot more rig. For some folks, the type of music they're playing and the rooms they're playing in makes that bit more vital. Others can get by just fine with much less. I play in a vintage style blues band, and we almost never even use a sub indoors. I do run one for outside parties, and I think we may be the only blues band in the area that does.

If I was trying to pound the rock for 2 or 300 people it would be another matter altogether.

most of them do in this area unless they are playing old-school blues stuff.

• Members

No problem crossing the PRX-612's at either 90Hz or 100Hz. None at all.

How do you cross the PRX618S-XLF at 100 Hz? From what I can tell, the PRX612S-XLF has a fixed built-in LPF at 90 Hz, which works fine with my RCF ART412A and QRX112s. The 90 Hz LPF on the sub is a tad too low for my EV ZX3s, leaving a midbass hole that I have to fill with a 105 Hz boost on the DSP for the ZX3s. Is there any way (eg jumper) to internally raise the built-in LPF of the crossover on the PRX618S-XLF to 100 Hz? That would let me leave the DSP at home for some smaller gigs.

• Members

How do you cross the PRX618S-XLF at 100 Hz? From what I can tell, the PRX612S-XLF has a fixed built-in LPF at 90 Hz, which works fine with my RCF ART412A and QRX112s. The 90 Hz LPF on the sub is a tad too low for my EV ZX3s, leaving a midbass hole that I have to fill with a 105 Hz boost on the DSP for the ZX3s. Is there any way (eg jumper) to internally raise the built-in LPF of the crossover on the PRX618S-XLF to 100 Hz? That would let me leave the DSP at home for some smaller gigs.

I was specifically answering the question regarding limitations on the 612, and that IMO 90Hz is ideal for the crossover point, as would 100Hz if that was an option. I use between 90 and 100Hz on the 718's (passive, IIRC uses the same driver but the box tuning may be just a bit different) and I would not have any hesitation using either 90Hz or 100Hz.

Also, IIRC, the 90Hz xover point is an 8th order filter which would end up being very close in power bandwidth to a 4th order 100Hz filter that most crossovers employ. Another thing to remember w/ LR filter alignments is that the xover freq. is specified at -6dB (for constant power summing) and this can not be easily equated to typical passive x-overs which are difficult to get even reasonably accurate at beyond 2nd order.

Regarding your ZX-3, have you tried reversing polarity on your sub (or top)? That may be what you are hearing. There is a polarity switch on your sub for this purpose. It may also be that there is an intentional dip in the response of your top cabinet due to tuning compromises that were made on the low end calculations to work in the small box. This is not uncommon, and the only thing you can do is add back what you can with corrective eq or not worry about it.

Have you analyzed what is going on acoustically? Could it be a boundery condition that is causing what you are hearing? I do not think it's soley a crossover frequency problem based on what I know about these speakers and combinations.

• Members

My vote,,, for a nice "reasonably compact, yet great sounding sub,,, the Yorkville LS720p. I can easily place two of these- side-by-side, in the back-seat of the car.

I'll be adding some new larger subs shortly, but there's no way I'd even consider selling off my LS-720p's. Highly recommended.

I have to agree with your "horses for courses" approach. Small light subs provide a dimension of variety that copes with stairs and limited space requirements.

Bigger subs have greater output and extension, but they are not always the right rig for the gig.

I too have multiple bigger subs but I love having options.

Archived