• Members

I played a club last night that we play all the time with a shallow stage and either my ears are getting more sensitive or my drummer was hitting harder than normal but it was KILLING my ears all night. They are still ringing bad as write this at 10 in the morning. I tried IEMs once before but couldn't stay with them because of the lack of ambient sound but i think I'm going to take the plunge again. This time I'm willing to spend more than the 500 bucks I spent the first time around. I think my long term hearing is worth it.

So with that said what are your suggestions for a good IEM system that has a second input for a lav mic with the ability to mix in the ambient sound from the lav mic with the aux mix? Input on earbuds would be appreciated also since that part of the system is probably as important as the transmitter/receiver itself. I'll say the budget is up to $2,000.

• Members

Those are good. Some people can never get past the isolation. I use the Shure lav mic kit with my PSM200s. It is installed in my stage jacket and I have a volume control to adjust the mix of ambient to aux fed signal. My custom molds are so comfortable that I put them in during soundcheck and don't take them out until I pack them away at the end of the show. The lav mic allows me to hold normal conversations during breaks and I can turn it down while performing. I love my system but I also realize there are better ones out there. I have no interest in "upgrading" as my low end PSM200s are doing exactly what I need them to do. Allow me to clearly hear everything and protect what is left of my hearing.

Be very careful, the ringing is damage that has already taken place. It is not reversible. My right ear has loud hissing, ringing and popping 24/7. Never stops, never lessens. That has been true for over 25 years. Be very careful and start protecting what is left of your hearing today.

• Members

See your area Audiologist and get a set of custom molded ear buds. I recommend at least a dual driver ear bud and I would spend as much as you can on the ear buds.

As for the IEM unit, go with a stereo system as you can tweak the panning to add depth. Pick you favorite brand, but I would tick to the same brand if you are already running a wireless (most will mount with each other).

• Members

That is a very good system. My wife and I have one, with an additional receiver pack. We use the mix mode that gives us each our own mix. The only problems I have are around very poor AC wiring in walls, and around neon lights. (Bar owners like to have their neon beer lights surrounding the stage area.

• Members

What do you guys think of these?

You can't just go buy wireless without doing a little homework. The system you quote here will NOT operate on the safe harbor channels in your area. You need something that can operate between 584-590 MHz or between 668-674 MHz if you expect to use them relatively trouble free in the future. Or something like the Lectrosonics that run in the 900's (but they are pretty pricy)

Are you running wireless with your axe? (and if not, why not;) If not I'd look into those combo guitar and headset cables. Unless you are willing to move up to something much more expensive you'll be listening to your music at the quality level of mp3's.

• Members

Thanks guys. Good to know a system like that works just fine. The earbuds are the part I'm not sure how to proceed with. I know an audiologist can make molds for custom fit buds but where and how do I actually get the earbuds made? I think I saw a company somewhere that used a persons molds to create the buds but I can't remember who it was. Does anyone here have a company they recommend for this?

Thanks as always for the help. You guys (and gals) are great.

• Members

You can't just go buy wireless without doing a little homework. The system you quote here will NOT operate on the safe harbor channels in your area. You need something that can operate between 584-590 MHz or between 668-674 MHz if you expect to use them relatively trouble free in the future. Or something like the Lectrosonics that run in the 900's (but they are pretty pricy)

Are you running wireless with your axe? (and if not, why not;) If not I'd look into those combo guitar and headset cables.

Unless you are willing to move up to something much more expensive you'll be listening to your music at the quality level of mp3's.

Thanks Don. No axe, I'm a straight singer in this current cover band. I think that unit does come in different frequencies. I'll check into it. I'm using your XD-V70 wireless mic.

• Members

Thanks guys. Good to know a system like that works just fine. The earbuds are the part I'm not sure how to proceed with. I know an audiologist can make molds for custom fit buds but where and how do I actually get the earbuds made? I think I saw a company somewhere that used a persons molds to create the buds but I can't remember who it was. Does anyone here have a company they recommend for this?

Check Ultimate Ears, JH Audio, etc. and the Audiologist is the dealer for the brand as well. Seeing a Dr to do the molds and placing the order is ideal way of doing it.

The at home kits are also "at risk" and only as good as you can do it.

• Members

Thanks guys. Good to know a system like that works just fine. The earbuds are the part I'm not sure how to proceed with. I know an audiologist can make molds for custom fit buds but where and how do I actually get the earbuds made? I think I saw a company somewhere that used a persons molds to create the buds but I can't remember who it was.
Does anyone here have a company they recommend for this?

www.sensaphonics.com

• Members

The lack of ambient sound in your ears is not a problem with the quality of your ear buds. Many set up a mic to capture the ambient sound of the stage and/or audience and mix it into the monitor mix.

Actually, the better the quality of the earbuds, the less ambient sound you should hear (without an ambient mic). If your era buds allow too much ambient sound in, they do not fit properly.

• Members

Actually, the better the quality of the earbuds, the less ambient sound you should here (without an ambient mic). If your era buds allow too much ambient sound in, they do not fit properly.

The problem is not too much ambient sound. The OP said "I tried IEMs once before but couldn't stay with them because of the lack of ambient sound".

• Members

The problem is not too much ambient sound. The OP said "I tried IEMs once before but couldn't stay with them because of the lack of ambient sound".

That is how they are supposed to work. He can add ambient sound via the board but the more ambients blocked the better the seal. The better the seal the better the low end response and sound quality of the system. I was agreeing with you since the better the earbuds, the less ambient sound will get through. His problem is not a problem, it is how it should work. Once that is done, he can introduce a way to bring ambience into the IEM mix.

• Members

I use this unit: http://www.rockonaudio.com/?page=LIM-001

It's not wireless, which doesn't matter for me because I play guitar as well. I got my first chance to use these last weekend, and they rocked!!! I used them with my nice Ultimate Ears headphones; really good sound.

Not to de-rail this thread, but I had a question I wanted to pose here...it's actually sort of related. The unit that I linked to has a 1/4" parellel input jack for an AUX Send from the board, or to take a 1/4" speaker cable from a floor wedge/monitor speaker. My question is: what if, for some reason, I can't get a 1/4" AUX Send from the board? and the speaker cable to the floor wedge/monitor speaker isn't a 1/4" cable (XLR, SpeakOn)?

Can I just get a simple adapter to convert when needed?

• Members

I use this unit:

It's not wireless, which doesn't matter for me because I play guitar as well. I got my first chance to use these last weekend, and they rocked!!! I used them with my nice Ultimate Ears headphones; really good sound.

Not to de-rail this thread, but I had a question I wanted to pose here...it's actually sort of related. The unit that I linked to has a 1/4" parellel input jack for an AUX Send from the board, or to take a 1/4" speaker cable from a floor wedge/monitor speaker. My question is: what if, for some reason, I can't get a 1/4" AUX Send from the board? and the speaker cable to the floor wedge/monitor speaker isn't a 1/4" cable (XLR, SpeakOn)?

Can I just get a simple adapter to convert when needed?

You might need a DI to take the XLR signal from the board. I don't know what you will do with Speakon except take the feed direct from the board.

• Members

The lack of ambient sound in your ears is not a problem with the quality of your ear buds. Many set up a mic to capture the ambient sound of the stage and/or audience and mix it into the monitor mix.

I did actually use an ambient mic in my first go around but it didn't work for me. It didn't provide nearly enough ambient sound for me to be comfortable. That is why I want a unit I can wear a lav mic that I can mix in.

By the way, what is the difference between the AT M2 and M3 units? I can't really see why the M3 system is a couple hundred more.

• Members

Biggest differences between M2 And M3 are: Non removable antenna on the transmitter, lack of lcd on the pack, 100 versus 1321 available channels, no soft touch controls on the pack, lack of automatic freq scanning, 10 versus 16 simulateous channels available and a one-step limiter versus 3-steps in the M3 pack.http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/files/b245fde48d72706e/iem_system_comparison.pdf

Archived