Winter NAMM 2016 - Official Show Report

Chris Loeffler

• Members

After starting my checkered career on a Kent guitar from Lafayette Electronics (yes, it's as bad as it sounds), I finally mowed enough lawns and fed enough pets to buy a Guild Capri. I loved that guitar, and then an alleged luthier did a fret job on it and destroyed it. I learned my lesson: Guitars are not to be trusted to anyone without an extensive background check. But Guild is still around, and here's what they had at the show.

fetch?id=31706374&d=1454099779

fetch?id=31706375&d=1454099809

fetch?id=31706376&d=1454099831

fetch?id=31706377&d=1454099855

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This has nothing to do with HCs coverage but how many guitars do we really need. And drums? What are the new guitars and drums adding to the equation?

The synth market is truly offering up some amazing synths... last years Prophet 6, this years OB6, then Moogs Sub37 from a few years back.... we are seeing some really nice progress in the synth world... not sure we can say the same about guitars...

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

This has nothing to do with HCs coverage but how many guitars do we really need. And drums? What are the new guitars and drums adding to the equation?

The synth market is truly offering up some amazing synths... last years Prophet 6, this years OB6, then Moogs Sub37 from a few years back.... we are seeing some really nice progress in the synth world... not sure we can say the same about guitars...

Make sure you check out my NAMM Photo thread (here in the HC NAMM Show forum) and hang tight for more pics from Matthew Mann (as well as Craig and Merilee Anderton) with more on the keyboards we saw at NAMM this year.

It was a very good year for keyboards IMO.

Stay tuned! snax.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

Good question. Not all of them are "new," a lot are "reborn" sentimental favorites. So they let people have the guitars they couldn't have first time around.

That said, I won't get all rah-rah Gibson on you but the improvements that are made each year are worth it. The new neck heel, titanium hardware, and being able to do essentially custom pickup wirings with a DIP switch are all pretty cool...the cryogenic frets are also welcome.

The following relates only partially to your question, but I did a Gibson Bass Collection expansion pack for Cakewalk's Rapture Pro instrument with a Les Paul Standard bass, Midtown bass, and EB 5-String bass. The first question Cakewalk had was "Why do you need three basses?" That question was answered the first time they booted up the sounds. Their characters arefundamentally different...frankly much more than I expected.

I also like the feel of different guitars, and play differently on them. However I certainly don't need, or even want, all the guitars out there. But, having such a vast number means that every guitarist will be able to find the subset that works for them. Quite a few people were blown away by guitars that left me cold, and vice-versa.

• Members

Shall we visit Riversong next?

fetch?id=31706524&d=1454110717

Check out that crazy 8-string toward the right! Apparently holding it causes people to smile insanely, which is probably a good thing.

fetch?id=31706525&d=1454110838

And how can something that looks so wrong be so cool? Although that blue guitar would have been ultra-fantastico for Elvis when he was filming "Blue Hawaii."

Look at this cutie. I'd be torn between hanging it up on the wall just to look at it, and pulling it down off the wall to play it.

fetch?id=31706527&d=1454111022

There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

• Members

Cool inlays...

fetch?id=31706537&d=1454111151

Macho ukulele? Bass variant? I'm not sure, but it's intriguing.

fetch?id=31706538&d=1454111262

Claas Guitars - very Euro /Frankfurt Messe, eh?

fetch?id=31706539&d=1454111658

...and more unusual stuff, from Paul Lairat

fetch?id=31706540&d=1454111719

There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

Good question. Not all of them are "new," a lot are "reborn" sentimental favorites. So they let people have the guitars they couldn't have first time around.

That said, I won't get all rah-rah Gibson on you but the improvements that are made each year are worth it. The new neck heel, titanium hardware, and being able to do essentially custom pickup wirings with a DIP switch are all pretty cool...the cryogenic frets are also welcome.

The following relates only partially to your question, but I did a Gibson Bass Collection expansion pack for Cakewalk's Rapture Pro instrument with a Les Paul Standard bass, Midtown bass, and EB 5-String bass. The first question Cakewalk had was "Why do you need three basses?" That question was answered the first time they booted up the sounds. Their characters are fundamentally different...frankly much more than I expected.

I also like the feel of different guitars, and play differently on them. However I certainly don't need, or even want, all the guitars out there. But, having such a vast number means that every guitarist will be able to find the subset that works for them. Quite a few people were blown away by guitars that left me cold, and vice-versa.

I get what you`re saying but I still cannot help but feel there is some sort of Psychological illness at play.

Imagine a synth company coming out with a new synth each year that pretty sounded the same as the rest of their catalog but they changed the style of the wood used for the side panels, or changed the shape of buttons/switches, or they offered last years synth in different colors... etc... seems kind of silly to me. Same for drums.

I think we`ve reached a point of excess but we cannot call it that. What would manufacturers make then? Nothing new, nothing to sell.

That's where I`m at with NAMM for the most part...

Last edited by Ernest Buckley; 01-29-2016, 09:00 PM.

• Members

Having done Riversong, we should probably do Rainsong. If only there was Pondsong, Lakesong, and Oceansong, we could have had the liquid thang covered. (Thanks to Lee Anderton for these photos and the ones in all my subsequent posts.)

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=116545"}[/img2]

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=116546"}[/img2]

Time for a little Americana, courtesy of Deering.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=116547"}[/img2]

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=116548"}[/img2]

And all the way from Switzerland, we have relish guitars. They possibly came to visit the Matterhorn at Disneyland.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=116549"}[/img2]

• Members

My daughter's a guitar freak so she took a bunch of pictures. But first, some general NAMM shots.

fetch?filedataid=116556

There were so many people that the escalators got overloaded. At one point, one of them stopped and Dendy got pitched forward. We could have had a nice slip and fall lawsuit to replenish the HC coffers, but nooo...he was able to keep his balance.

fetch?filedataid=116555

Those lights that look like the hand-held Simon game was reborn are actually fountains that seemed in sync with the music that was playing further down the walkway. Or maybe I was just imagining things after being subjected to NAMMosity for hours on end.

fetch?filedataid=116554

The Arena part of the convention hall is where you find DJ and lighting stuff...sort of like a baby Musikmesse Prolight & Sound. The convention center will be expanded for the 2017 show, and not a moment too soon...I had a meeting with one company and asked what their booth number was. They said they were in the kiosk in front of the men's bathroom on the lower level.

fetch?filedataid=116557

Another arena shot, because you can never have enough smoke and mirrors. Or lasers.

fetch?filedataid=116558

Or lasers that can pass as light sabers. "I am your father, Dendy..."

fetch?filedataid=116559

Something about the Arena makes me want to go clubbing and be surrounded by thousands of people whacked out on ecstasy. They're always entertaining.

• Members

NAMM had over 100,000 humanoid bipeds passing through. This had two immediate effects, aside from stressing out the escalators: The line to get coffee was so long you would fall asleep before you obtained the coffee needed to wake up, and if you had to go to the bathroom, it was best to plan in advance.

If you think this is a lot of people...you should have seen the show floor on Saturday.

This one's for Phil O'Keefe. I just know he'd rather have those big, manly knobs instead of a mouse and QWERTY keyboard.

fetch?filedataid=116560

Danelectro guitars are always fun. These are co-habitating with some Mosrites.

fetch?filedataid=116561

My daughter was sufficiently fascinated by this she forgot to identify it.

fetch?filedataid=116562

Check out the detailing...anyone know where this comes from?

fetch?filedataid=116563

Archived