Been a Long Time Since a New Musical Genre...

Anderton

• Members

For a while we had new genres on a fairly regular basis...progressive rock, reggae, new age, disco, dancehall, etc. But things seem pretty quiet on the new musical genre front. The two most recent I can think of are rap and EDM, which have both been around for decades, and rock is over 60 years old.

What's next? Is there a next?

• Members

I think the next genre will be a juxtaposition of genres. We have seen this going back to the RUN DMC / AEROSMITH collaboration back in the 80s.

I`m probably going to get some resistance from this but I think Coldplay is at the cutting edge of a new genre. If you listen to their latest record you`ll have a hard time hearing where COLDPLAY ends and STARGATE begins. I think you`ll hear more genre juxtapositions in the next decade between rock and rap, sort of like LINCOLN PARK.

I have been hoping for years that AUDIOSLAVE and RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE would do a record together. A combination of hard rock with the political message of RAGE.

However, I do think EDM will continue to rise in popularity and I think we will see more of an expansion in that genre that will include elements from rock and more 70s disco, etc...

I`m amazed everyday but the creativity I hear and I`m looking forward to hearing where we are in 2025.

Archived