Now HERE'S a VST effect I'd buy: Multiband Timeshift

rasputin1963

• Members

When mixing my tracks, I find myself wishing I could move different frequency bands of a track's signal backwards and forwards in time slightly.

For example I wish I could take the upper frequencies of a struck piano chord or quick-strummed guitar chord... and pull them forward (earlier) in time (microseconds) than the lower frequencies of that same chord. So the "crunch" of your guitar chord (higher-pitched material plus your noisy transients) could hit slightly earlier than the fat "body" of the strummed chord. Or indeed, divvy up the signal, ad lib, so that you can timeshift different frequency bands of the chord. What I'm describing should be so subtle that it sounds nothing like a Delay effect or "hiccup" or Haas weirdness or 1970's psychedelic phase-shifting.

Seems like such a simple trick, yet I don't know any VST that could allow you to do that. Do you? I think if I tried to separate one track MANUALLY into different freq bands (with a Parametric EQ), assign them to different DAW tracks, then timeshift them, you'd get a nightmare of undesirable phasing artifacts...?

Thoughts?

• Members
When mixing my tracks, I find myself wishing I could move different frequency bands of a track's signal backwards and forwards in time slightly.

For example I wish I could take the upper frequencies of a struck piano chord or quick-strummed guitar chord... and pull them forward (earlier) in time (microseconds) than the lower frequencies of that same chord. So the "crunch" of your guitar chord (higher-pitched material plus your noisy transients) could hit slightly earlier than the fat "body" of the strummed chord. Or indeed, divvy up the signal, ad lib, so that you can timeshift different frequency bands of the chord. What I'm describing should be so subtle that it sounds nothing like a Delay effect or "hiccup" or Haas weirdness or 1970's psychedelic phase-shifting.

Seems like such a simple trick, yet I don't know any VST that could allow you to do that. Do you? I think if I tried to separate one track MANUALLY into different freq bands (with a Parametric EQ), assign them to different DAW tracks, then timeshift them, you'd get a nightmare of undesirable phasing artifacts...?

Thoughts?

Interesting. What is the end goal? Are your guitar tracks lacking punch? I`m just thinking, if you moved your guitar forward a tiny bit, you may get the desired effect where you hear the initial attack before the other instruments. I often nudge the bass slightly ahead of the beat for this reason.

• Members

why or how do you imagine it could be any different in a plugin? You get microtime phase shift when you EQ. Whether or not it is undesirable I guess depends on how you hear it.

Archived