It's Almost 12/15...Bye-Bye, Optical Disc Media

Anderton

• Members

I've had multiple hard drives fail over the years. I have yet to have a CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray ROM fail to read, and some of these go back decades...although I do have some commercial audio CDs with pinholes.

Sigh......Craig, WHY do you bring up stuff over the years that forces me to think? In the course of less than a week with this optical disk discussion, I've learned about things like bdxl, triple layer, quad layer, 100gb and 128gb disks. Not to mention rethinking the uses of 25gb and 50gb disks. Sort of crushes my previous leaving of dvdland at the 4gb/8gb days.

I too, have years of self-burned cds and dvds that still read perfectly. Other than a few severely scratched disks that won't read... and I wouldn't expect it... and a few dubious blue or yellow rewriteables I bought somewhere in time that fail, the track record is good. The only dvd I could never figure out that went totally blank was a commercial "Roland Sound of the 70's" collection I bought from Thinkware or something in the 90s. Was fine for a while. Then... blank. Luckily, I had copied/backed up the contents to a hard drive and still have the library.

With the previous, frustrating 4gb/8gb capability of optical, I simply stopped thinking about them, even as I knew 25gb was on the way for bluray.

Anyway, all this conversation turned me to the Pioneer bdxl Blu Ray Writer BDR-XD05B this week. The black one that reads/writes all the way to 128gb Sony disks and is bundled with Windows Cyberlink burner software etc.

Anyone see a problem with that one? I checked into an LG, but this one seems to have better reviews. Plus, I fondly remember my first burner... a $700 1x Pioneer burner that was very good..... except for the price in 1990 or whatever.

I figure I can use the xd05B between my desktops and Elitebook laptops which all have usb 3. I believe the burner is usb 3 as well. It looks compatible with both win7 and win10, which is where I am.

I won't scrap my hard drive safeties/backup routine. But a few 25gb,50gb, 100gb, 128gb optical disks will add some peace of mind with its redundancy.

• CMS Author
For my IDE drives, I use an adapter which consists of a block with an IDE connector on one side and a SATA connector on the other side, and a cable with a USB plug

Thanks, I'll check that out. For now I have external USB drives with IDE connectors. They work, but it would be great to be able to copy from one to another.

To clarify, the gadget that I'm talking about here can connect either an IDE or SATA drive to USB by using one side of the block or the other, but it won't connect a SATA drive to an IDE drive. There's an external power supply and cables for that to connect directly to the drive.

To copy between a SATA and an IDE drive, you'd need two adapters and a computer with two USB ports. But it's a cheap kludge to avoid copying one loose drive to a hard drive on the computer, then copying that copy back to another loose drive.

fetch?id=31655455

http://www.microcenter.com/product/285941/EZ-Connect_USB_to_SATA-IDE_Adapter

• Members

This will be a big blow for my wife. Currently figure skaters must use CDs for their musical programs, and not just any CDs. These must be customized to make 1 minute 30 seconds , 2 minutes , up to 4 minute programs. They must be cut to length and playable on CD players at the rinks. My wife "cuts" music, creatively , so you can't even hear it.....but she needs blank CDs.

I guess that they will need to change with the times....maybe USB KEY players ?

As to backup........I have been way too busy to make HUNDREDS DVDs for backup. I have about 5TB of hard drive storage on 3 units.

Dan

• Members

About 2 years ago I converted a disused computer to run Windows Home Server 2011. I have a gigabyte network and every computer, tablet, phone connects either cable or wireless. The server runs the backups for my DAW and laptop, it also runs my Web Server and all media for any device that can access it, even the TV. It's a great system and is expandable just by installing a bigger or additional HDD. I still have a bit of work to do to set up a website on it and run my own cloud

Archived