two leslies Mashup project finished.

WynnD

• Members

There's a piece of me that wants to make a custom logo for this. Someday, someone in the family will be looking at it and wonder what it does and why they can't find any information about it on the Internet. Pretty sure I won't be around to see it, but it could be funny.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

760 Leslie on the left. the 860/825 mashup in the middle. (Will now refer to it as Frankie. Short for FrankenLeslie) Roland UK-77 organ. 760 is warmer bottom end. Frankie has a much improved bottom end, but it's not a 760. Frankie is still going to be very useable for club work. And both Leslies together are just wonderful. (Frankie is an 11 pin Leslie that just needs a cable to work with the VK-77. The 760 uses an 1197 adapter kit to make the 9 pin Leslie work with an 11 pin leslie output.) Pretty happy with the sound of it.

c518bc2e1de83e014180340b05107834.thumb.jpg.e2248857f9f15183ab11b1b2e9f79132.jpg

• Members

Glad it worked out for you.

I'd get some of that truck bed liner and a sponge brush and dab it along that seam. It will keep the moisture from getting under the tolex and having it peel off on you and mask the seam between the two cabs.

• Members

The tolex is pretty ratty on the bottom edge anyway. I plan to recover the whole thing, so there are some things that need to be done yet, but it's functional as is. (And in Denver, moisture isn't much of a problem.) I'm trying to figure out how daring I might be willing to go with. I'm getting tired of black amps and speaker cabinets. My White Naugahyde 1972 Kustom 250 guitar amp always looks so nice onstage. (Partly because it's so different that all those black amps and speaker cabinets.) When I was a teenager, I had no fear. Now that I'm 62, I need to get some of that back. (I can be a crazy old man.)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I thought the Mojo was priced particularly well. (At least in the USA.) While my VK-77 was being repaired and I found out that Roland is no longer supporting that organ with new parts. (I got the last main board they had.) So in the future, when the Roland dies, it will probably be gone for good. It was my Wife that suggested getting a new organ. I'd never had a brand new organ in my life and we could afford it. So I ordered one from Crumar directly. Don't get me wrong, I'm still using the VK-77 with my Beatles band. There I need the bass pedals (PK-7) and there are a lot of alternative sounds that get used and this way I don't have to haul a second keyboard. The Mojo doesn't have much in alternative sounds, but the organ is great. (With or without a Leslie.) And the Roland's overdrive never did much for me. The Mojo's overdrive is full heaven. From just a touch with the expression pedal to the floor to full on Marshall amp overdrive like Jon Lord.

• Members

Been there and done that. My very first organ was an AceTone. After selling it to a friend for $50 I moved to California. Then after getting back, I saw a Reggae band and there onstage was an AceTone. When I looked closer, there was the flexible gooseneck mount that I had put on when I couldn't afford a mic stand. One of the better things about this point of my life is that the house is paid off so maintenance, insurance and taxes are my only home expenses. It's taken a very long time to get to the point where what I need is always affordable. What I want is usually a bit out of reach. (I would love to have a Portable B-3, but the price tag scares me.)

• Moderators

Similar to you, I have no debt. House is paid off, no car loan. Expenses are low, but so is income. Also like you, I have plenty for all my needs, but I have very little left for anything beyond that.

IIRC, the Porta-B was actually more like a Porta-M. I have an A100, but it's not very portable.

• Members

I was actually talking about the Portable B-3, think they're $25K without anything to play them through. Nice instrument, way out of my price range. I did have a friend who had an early Porta-B and a 145 Leslie. Great at the time, but I still have an X5 that I gigged for 20 years. The divider chips add white noise when hot. (And they run hot.) So it's been regulated to rehearsal duties. I got the 760 leslie when I bought it back in 1980. (Used but showroom condition. It's a bit worse for wear now.)

• Members

OK, they're calling it the B3 Portable or B3P. I've got a link to a keyboard magazine article of it that includes a picture. And they were $15,000 when they built them. I'm told that if you're a B3 player and was seated blindfolded, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference by touch because everything is in exactly the same location as the original one. http://www.hammond-organ.com/products/B3-portable-report.htm

• Moderators

Pretty cool. I didn't know they made that. Still 175 lbs, but that's a lot less than a real B3.

I'm surprised to find that the A100 is not as heavy as the B3, even with its internal amps and speakers. Makes no sense to me, but there it is.

Archived