Power question

• Members

Would a plx 1804 be a suitable amp to power a pair of 4732a JBL speakers,or should one go ahead and get a 3602? I know there is a substantial difference in output power rating,but if the 1804 is plenty of amp then it could be a viable solution. I would run one speaker per side(stereo),and I believe the 1804 will do 900 watts at 4 ohms.I would be going from a pair of Yamaha Club Vs powered by a GX-5 one per side.Either way will be significant as an upgrade,but I'm not sure what will be best.

• Members

Thanx Andy.So with that set-up for tops the 3602 would be perfect for a pair of the 4719 As(one per side) on the subs? If all goes as expected this will be my "A" system in just a couple of weeks.BTW and FWIW I got a pair of Behringer RMX 2400 copies for $300 in a rack to power the little system.2 PV 18s (one per side of one amp),2 of the Club Vs powered off one side of the other,and 2 of the Yamaha V wedges (one Monitor Mix) off the other side.This is a perfect little system for Eagles,Moose,VFW types of gigs. These amps belonged to a friend of mine and saw very little use(less than ten shows).

• Members

$300 each or for the pair? Not bad for the pair but you can get mint used RMX2450's for $300 each. I just sold my pair for $550...

For the pair,and in a decent rack.I figured it to be $50 for the rack,and $125 for each amp. I'm not a Behringer fan,but for what I intend to do with them,it won't be too bad I don't think.

• Members

are you planning to do the mod on those cabinets that disables the tweeter and lets the horn run all the way up? most feel the tweeter loses any effectiveness beyond about 20 ft, and i found its even closer than that, and from what i understand its doing everything above six khz.

i believe you can modify the stock xover, but would be a lot easier to ebay purchase the 4731 crossover and simply leave the tweeter disconnected. you will have a lot more highend power before clipping or driver failure.

• Members

Hadn't really gotten into it that deep,and there is a chance that it has already been done(I will ask about it).I played with a band that ran a set of JBL 2-12 tops with a single horn that look to be the direct predosessor of the SRX 722.I believe it was a 47something (anyone know?).I'm interested in those as well,but the 4732s are readily available.

• Members

BTW and FWIW I got a pair of Behringer RMX 2400 copies for $300 in a rack to power the little system.2 PV 18s (one per side of one amp),2 of the Club Vs powered off one side of the other,and 2 of the Yamaha V wedges (one Monitor Mix) off the other side.This is a perfect little system for Eagles,Moose,VFW types of gigs. These amps belonged to a friend of mine and saw very little use(less than ten shows).

With the subs on one amp and the tops on another, what is being used for a crossover?

Are the subs PV118s? Are the Club V tops 12

• Members
For the pair,and in a decent rack.I figured it to be $50 for the rack,and $125 for each amp. I'm not a Behringer fan, but for what I intend to do with them, it won't be too bad I don't think.

Good deal! They'll work until they don't - the EP2500 was one of their better products. Like any other amps have a plan for what to do when one craps out...

• Members

I like the DBX crossovers.I would run this system mono with a Y on my lo-out(from the crossover) to the sub amp.1/2 of a DBX 231 between the board and the crossover,the other half on the monitor send.I'm thinking vocals only in the monitors.I've been running this system with a GX-5 on the subs,GX-3 on the tops,and another GX-3 on two wedges for two monitor mixes.If,and when I move to the JBL stuff,I will probably pick up the 1804 mentioned above,sell the GX-3s,get another GX-5 and run the GX-5s for my monitors(4 mixes)on my main system.This will give me two complete systems,and the small one I can probably teach my son-in-law to run.He already knows how to set and hook it all up as he helps me out a lot.Believe it or not,those cheep-assed subs have been able to take all that GX-5 will give them in these lower volume environments.I should be able to put him out there with this one for $100 - $150 per night and make money on it at least three times a month.

• Members

3602 is ideal for 4719's, one box per channel.

I wouldn't modify the 4732's until you listened to them first. The HF horn has enough beaming that it's pattern narrows as the frequency increases which is why it works in that box. Not ideal but a case of where the "defect" works to the end result's advantage.

• Members

Looking at your plan to use a B rig and sell it for only 100-150 a night, how does that pay off the gear? Seems like you'd be loosing money at that price point so really it doesn't matter what gear is sent out.

I have less than $1000 invested In the B rig.Blessed by several great deals. 10 rentals at $150 = $1500. The market where I'm at wont fetch much more than that for this type system.I know I would'nt rent it for more than $150.We have several sound providers around here (one in particular) that have really whored up the market with cheep rentals,and the bigger places have almost all gone with house systems.My A system would be just for my use.It is half the system we used to rent for $300 per weekend($150 per show),but we did pay our man $100 per night to run it for a total of $500 per weekend.Obviously I am not in your league,and probably never will be,but I can teach the kids all I know,and get them enough experience to do it on their own,and pass the torch to the next generation,and for sure break even.If I make a little money...great!

• Members

That's the 4700X series, slightly better HF driver (& phase plug/diaphragm) assy that no longer needs the buttcheek and saved significant cost too.

Same power recommendation applies.

Thanks Andy. I may check into a pair of those in my area. What would be considered a decent price on a pair of the 4731X in good shape?

• Members

and pass the torch to the next generation,and for sure break even.

So that the "next generation" can also at best break even on the gear and work for free :facepalm: ?

We have several sound providers around here (one in particular) that have really whored up the market with cheep rentals,

:lol::facepalm:

• Members

Actually the 4731A and 4732A were both available at the same time and are both the same size cabinet. The tweeter, which I think is not needed, is the only difference. I have had a couple of the 4731 for about 15 years now and they sound great, but I usually use the SRX 722 because of the weight savings and better(70 degree) high end. The 4731 actually has a lot more low end than the 722, probably because of the cabinet size. I think the 4731 sounds better with the 3604 - they are rated at 1200 RMS, but if you need that amp for the subs than that would be a better choice for you.

• Members

For what their value is, look at completed transactions on e-bay and factor in shipping.

The tweeter for some applications really improves the HF extension BUT with DSP today, HF lift eq is a viable option using ony the 2440/2445. It was not as easily or cheaply donr back then. In the old days, it was common to apply CD horn eq but shifted up as high as necessary to perform the lift function if the horn was not a full CD type. Usually, it was done in parametric eq, either as an outboard piece or as part of a (analog) system processor.

• Members

The 2447 is a 1.5" exit using the same motor as the 2445. I've got the JBL SP225's which are a dual 2226 and 2447 on a 2381 lens (might be a 2382, can't remember). JBL recommends a +6dB shelf @ 7K, I ended up with something less using +6 @ 12k. Just my ears but thats what I liked. And I also cut some 4K as well as 1.6 around the x-over point of 1.2

• Members

My 4731 uses the 2447 High frequency driver and I have never felt the need for a tweeter.

IIRC, you have a later version. From the info I have, it was originally shipped with the 2445 until the 47 diaphragm/phase plug was introduced and the driver model changed. IIRC, part of the HF improvement was due to the exit and phase plug geometry change.

Archived