Polytune Clip On

WRGKMC

• Members

Update. I got my old DAW running and got the plugin installed without issue.

It does indeed have polyphonic tuning and it works flawlessly.

I put the clip on version on the guitar and was able to view the software version at the same time and they produced identical results from everything I could see. The only differences I saw was the speed of the software version was slower. I rack that up to the computer being slower. Its a single core computer and I have the latency set very high to accommodate high track counts and multiple plugins without crashing.

Other then that both tuners read identical results.

As a second test I ran Sonar's Guitar tuners side by side. Again the results were good, but there were differences. The Polytune would lock into a note and barely fluctuate at all. The needle may move to slightly sharp or flat very slowly. The Cakewalk tuner would react very quickly to any pitch changes and would detect small pitch variances the Polytune would ignore or its LED's barely registered. Using the Cakewalk to fine tune did make the Polytune read 100% accurate.

In my opinion the scale of the Cakewalk is tuner has a narrower pitch range between sharp or flat. This does make the needle jump around more but doing fine tweaks may be superior to the Polytune. The Cakewalk isn't super tuning bass however. You have to use 12th fret harmonics on the low notes to get a stable reading.

The Polytune on the other hand is incredibly stable in its reading. If you guitar is properly intonated and all you need to do is tune to pitch its as easy as it gets. Its free of erratic needle movements an focuses on the root note. Jumpy needle syndrome common with many sensitive meters. It also lets you strum all six and immediately target the strings out of pitch. From there you can simply tune the one string with the full screen with detailed accuracy. The tuner does pick up bass notes better too, even low tuned bass is possible so its range is superior to the Sonar version.

In any case, its an excellent plugin and its super simple to use. The best part is it was free with the clip on which I've found extremely handy for both general tuning and doing general setups.

I'll have to give it a thu thu.gifthu thu.gifthu thu.gifthu thu.gif thumbs up because the cakewalk tuner does appear to have a slight edge in accuracy detecting small pitch variances which can be important recording. If you add the fact the Polytune does better job on open bass strings while still doing a fine job in all other areas, you could easily give it a 5.

I think TC could improve their products and give it an edge over any competition with an enhanced scale button. The Cakewalk reads as much as 3 digit variance compared to the Polytune. Instead of having 1/2 an LED lighting if the pitch is off a few cents, double the scale so that same pitch variance will light 1.5 or 2 LED's. This would give you a fine tuning mode which would greatly enhance viewing accuracy, especially doing micro tweaks setting up instruments. Other then that they got the rest of the formula nailed down very well.

• Members
this tuner is on my must get gear list for 2015. Thank you for the detailed review' date=' which seems to check out with all others that I have seen.[/quote']

Wait, TVvoodoo? Is this the tvvoodoo with that sweet sweet ranch caster project tele? Welcome back!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just picked one of these up today, as well. Very impressive materials, and works extremely well with my Taylor. Seems to tune very well. The poly mode is a nice general "guide," but the real quality comes with the individual strings. The clip version tracks notes impressively fast. It is a bit expensive, but it is slim, stays out of the way, and does its job well.

• Members
Just picked one of these up today' date=' as well. Very impressive materials, and works extremely well with my Taylor. Seems to tune very well. The poly mode is a nice general "guide," but the real quality comes with the individual strings. The clip version tracks notes impressively fast. It is a bit expensive, but it is slim, stays out of the way, and does its job well.[/quote']

Right. The poly mode helps you target the strings which are flat of sharp with a single strum then you can target those using the single string mode. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for something that works good.

• Members

I boughted one of them and decided to test it.

My house is 200 metres above sea level and I wanted to stimulate sea level. I considered digging a deep basement but decided on a mire elegunt approach. I sealed the house with duck tape and fitted a reverse drive vacuum fan I had in an old parts box, I used thias to jncrease the internal air pressure to simulate sea level. I also took this oppurtunity to fill the house with argon gas. I hadcsome left over from a nuclear reactore I built in the garage.

I used my higgs bossun laser accelarator as a base point but decided it was nit accurate enuf. So I got a few kitchen utensils and some capacitors I have in a parts bin and built an atomic clock.

Anyway to cut a long story short I carried out the tests (pm me if you want the 6 volume leather bound results) and I found that at lower freqiuencies it was 00000.2 points out. Rubbish. I will ring the CEO and let him know his product is not fit for porpoise.

How you people can like it I dont unerstand.. Any thing that out of tune makes my ears bleed.

Archived