• Members

Doesn't really have a true dedicated L/R Main output section. You could use any one of the six pairs of outputs (selectable as dual mono or stereo) as a stereo pair, but you would still need to use that outputs aux feed(s) from the channel strip. The level control at the bottom of each channel strip only adjust relative over-all level of the channel going to the aux's before they feed the outputs.

It is a great monitor board and is a no brainer for six IEM systems in a portable format. I've got mine in a rack with six channels of DBX231 eq and a Rane MA-6 6 channel amplifier which does fine for our modest stage levels. I use three larger 2 channel amps in a separate rack when I use it with other groups, larger stages or just want some power to spare.

• Members

If one were to look at the over-all channel level control at the bottom of the strip as a "fader", all the sends are post "fader". But it's really not. It's more like a post eq/gain trim for bringing the level of that channel down in all the sends/monitors. It affects all of the sends, not just some of them. However there are no stereo returns or stereo channels to return to, so by the time you eat up four channels for two stereo returns and two more for break music, you're left with a ten channel mixer. My point to the OP was that while it's possible to do what he asks, after all it's just routing, it's very counter intuitive and not recommended. The board however is a great monitor board and with its built in split would be a great addition to almost any standard board you're already using as part of a comlete monitor system, provided sixteen channels is adequate for his needs. Especially at a really good price.

• Members

Thanks again!

For a board that is practically new, what maximum price would you consider it being a steal?

Brief background: The board belongs to my former band. We've called it quits after 7+ years. Our FOH mixer is a Peavey 24FX which I own. The WZ3 was/is part of a racked IEM system the band bought but could never get used to. It's been setting in my garage for a few years. We're in the process of liquidating everything, and I really don't need the mixer, but thought I'd offer my former bandmates a lowball price just to save us the hassle of trying to sell it outright. I'm putting together a 3 - 4 piece band now and was thinking thinking it would be great to be able to use this as described above for some gigs since it is so small compared to the PV.

• Members

Considering they sell new for around 2K, $750 to $1000 would be a great price. Which coincidentally is about the same price (and the same footprint) as a new MixWiz3 16:2 (standard, non-monitor specific board) which really is more suited to what you propose.

Maybe I'm missing something. Are you trying to rescue a monitor board and use it for FOH occasionally or are you tryng to repurpose it for FOH exclusively? If it's the later, it really is a one trick pony and there are better options for less money. I just want to be sure I'm being clear and anybody else reading this thread doesn't get the wrong idea! :)

• Members

We use one as an IEM monitor mixer. It's excellent for that. But I don't believe there is any effective way to route FX. And there is no "master" output. It COULD be used for FOH, but I wouldn't BUY it for that purpose. Even if somebody gave it to me free, I'd only use it as a stop-gap until I got a true FOH board.

It's a great monitor mixer though.

• Members

It's use would be FOH occasionally. Most of the places we would likely play originals in the Chicago area would have PA. My former band was a cover band, and we had to supply the PA at many bar gigs. I think I'll just hold off on it unless I can get my new band to consider going the IEM route and can get a good deal on it.

Thanks again!

Archived