Caribbean

pogo97

• Members

Thanks, Notes. I've added Perfidia and Brazil to my list (I have them by Tito Puente off an 1950s album of my dad's). And I've now downloaded a Perez Prado album with those songs (and 56 others). "Bali Ha'i" as latin! Who'd of thunk it.

I'm wondering, though, if I have time to learn real latin songs with any authority at all. I dislike listening to people play music they don't understand and would rather avoid doing so myself. Even for retirement home gigs. Especially for retirement home gigs!

• Members

With all due respects to Bob The Builder, I'll take this one wink.png

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

(hmm, is there a trick to getting the Youtube to play?

The more you do different styles of music, the more intensely you listen, the more you learn, and the better you get at it.

We have the good fortune to play in multi-cultural South Florida and we did Cruise Ships in the Caribbean for 3 years. We got to trade knowledge with bands from different cultures. We learned little things like in Mambo (and many other forms of Latin Music) the cowbell keeps time and the hand drums are always a bit behind the beat. My friend in San Juan once said, "If the cowbell and congas hit together, I quit listening."

This worked, we played a wedding reception (on the ship) for the executive secretary's Cuban-American daughter. They canonized us "Official Latinos".

Another thing that helped was my writing aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box. If I want the style to sound authentic, I have to figure out (sometimes with trial an error) just what makes it authentic. Little things like rushing the second beat in a waltz measure a bit makes a giant difference in the way the dancers react.

Listen to all kinds of music, especially forms out of your comfort zone. And don't just casually listen, intensely listen and try to figure out just what makes them tick. Why does a Afro-Gospel 2 beat sound so different from a Country-Gospel 2 beat? The notes are similar, but the feel, dynamics and placement of the individual notes are slightly different, and that little difference makes all the difference in the world.

OK, I'm running off at the mouth so I'll stop. Once I get talking about music, it's hard to quit so please forgive the rambling.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Fully agreed. I believe strongly that the better you understand what you're playing the more deeply your music will connect to people.

I tend to expand my repertory in response to projects, like this one. I know full well that I could get away with covering "Yellow Bird" and Morey Amsterdam's cleanup of "Rum & Coca Cola." But that wouldn't be very satisfying, would it? So I research the music (in the case of Calypso, by marrying a brown skin girl whose father from Nevis) and listen to dozens or hundreds of pieces and by plunging into Wikipedia to make connections. Then I pick the twenty-or-so most likely candidates and listen to them over and over; sometimes as I do housework and sometimes when I'm doing nothing but listening intently. At some point I'll start playing along and trying to find the groove, trying to fit into the sound. Then transcribe the chords and words and start learning it solo. Sometimes it doesn't make the transition and I drop it, sometimes it works very nicely. But there's always a shift -- a piano is not a calypso orchestra and I am not Sparrow -- and I demand of myself that the song isn't dumbed down more than I can help it.

I've assembled a very nice playlist of latino pieces, I think, but will probably not try to learn them right now. The calypso material is challenge enough for this "Caribbean Month" at the manor. I've noticed, in passing, that the piano in many calypso orchestras sounds very like the piano in many Cuban orchestras and there are many Spanish names among calypsonians. Imagine that!

• Members

and here's that list of Latin songs that are fairly likely to be known by my elderly audience:

Amapola The Castillians

Andalucía (The Breeze and I) Ernesto Lecuona

Aquellos Ojos Verdes (Green Eyes) Don Azpiazu

Bésame Mucho Lucho Gatica

Brazil Tito Puente

Cerezo Rosa (Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White) Pérez Prado

El Manisero (The Peanut Vendor) Don Azpiazu

Guaglione Pérez Prado

Guantanamera Joseito Fernandez & Indio Nabori

Malagueña Ernesto Lecuona

Mambo No. 5 Pérez Prado

María Elena Los Panchos

Mosaico Lecuona Cuban Boys

Patricia Pérez Prado

Perfidia Los Panchos

Quien Será? (Sway) Pablo Beltrán Ruiz

Quiereme Mucho (Yours) Victor Cuban Orchestra

Siboney Ernesto Lecuona

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Did the gig this evening. Invited a friend to sit in on conga and percussion. They gave us leis to wear, so we wore them. The folks had fun and so did we. Brought back Caribbean memories for lots of them. I learned about thirty new songs, but only had time to play seventeen of them.

Maria Elena

El Manisero (The Peanut Vendor)

Begin the Beguine

Black Orpheus_ Manha de Carnaval _ Scene Du Lever Du Soleil

Rum and Coca Cola

Brown Skin Gal

Matilda

Mr. Walker

John B Sail (The Wreck of the John B)

Mary Ann

Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)

Amapola

Siboney

Andalucía (The Breeze and I)

Guantanamera

Jamaica Farewell

Hold 'Im Joe

Brown Skin Gal and Hold 'Im Joe did very well despite not being well known. Just very swingy groovy songs.

Archived