Another "What Should I Charge" question

• Members

I've been doing sound in a side stage for $300/6 hours at a small street fair here in NJ for two years. More for because my band was playing and I, obvioulsy, was going to be there anyway so why not catch some additional bucks for sound. However, my duo is busy enough during the summer and getting paid well to where my weekend time has become more valuable. I want to throw them a number for this year that's more in line with reality and if they bite, fine. Note that I'm not trying to lose the gig - just get ok money from here on out. My band is also NOT playing this year so I'm there 'just for them' if you will.

Also note I'm moving up to the main stage this year so it's mostly full bands vs the one or two I got at the side stage. I took a walk down there last year and saw that the guy who has that gig has atrocius equipment. I asked specifically that they switch us for this year!

Thanks....

• Members

Are you setting up, misxing and tearing down OR are you going into mix on a already built PA?

What size of a PA are you taking out?

How long is the event?

Do you need to rent any additional gear?

How far is the drive?

Do you need to rent a truck?

Are you hiring help?

What is the expected crowd size?

• Members

What would it cost you to hire out another sound co for the event? That's what you should charge.

I agree.

A fair market price for goods or services depends first and foremost on what the market will bear, and secondly is based on what the market will pay for your style of goods or services. For example, a quick survey suggests:

1) 6 string electric guitars seem to be abundantly available on eBay for

2) New, made in the US Fender Strats seem to command somewhere between $1K and $2K on eBay.

3) Good origonal condition '50's vintage Fender Strats seem to generally command a market price north of $20K on eBay.

So... what's a fair market value for a 6 string electric guitar? The answer probably depends on the market and the type of guitar. Market ascertainment would be a good starting point for setting your pricing.

• Members

I agree.

A fair market price for goods or services depends first and foremost on what the market will bear, and secondly is based on what the market will pay for your style of goods or services. For example, a quick survey suggests:

1) 6 string electric guitars seem to be abundantly available on eBay for 2) New, made in the US Fender Strats seem to command somewhere between $1K and $2K on eBay.

3) Good origonal condition '50's vintage Fender Strats seem to generally command a market price north of $20K on eBay.

So... what's a fair market value for a 6 string electric guitar? The answer probably depends on the market and the type of guitar. Market ascertainment would be a good starting point for setting your pricing.

Or what it's worth to the given buyer.

• Members

Tricky, tricky question. What it may boil down to is what are they willing to pay? I've run into a few promoters/events that had a specific budget and were more than happy with sub-par equipment if the price was right. I've gone as far (at times) to ask what they had for a budget and what I was willing to provide for that amount. I would also mention that for X dollars more, they could get greater services if they wanted. You really need to ask yourself what is the minimum you can accept for all the work involved.

• Members

One thing concerning this---------don't charge less than your time and equipment is really worth just to land the job. Once you start down that road it can get hard to charge what you should. People start expecting that lower price and might see you as an ass because "all-of-the-sudden" your prices go up. There is a minimum that you can accept and then there's working for nothing. Don't do the latter (unless it's a charity or something personally important to you)

Archived