Spiffy backline multi outlet extension cords...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We just have lengths of 25' and 50' cable and quad boxes (plastic housing with 3' tail) that we just daisy chain together as needs dictate.

I don't like the idea of outlets built into the cable itself, seems like it would be a pain in the ass to wrap and store. Also awkward to get the outlets to line up where you need them, unless you're running the same stage setup every time.

• Members

We just have lengths of 25' and 50' cable and quad boxes (plastic housing with 3' tail) that we just daisy chain together as needs dictate.

I don't like the idea of outlets built into the cable itself, seems like it would be a pain in the ass to wrap and store. Also awkward to get the outlets to line up where you need them, unless you're running the same stage setup every time.

Works fine, but it doesn't meet code most places.

• Members

Works fine, but it doesn't meet code most places.

Can work IF it's the listed "plastic" boxes like those that Bill posted. Generally the plastic is a glass filled engineering plastic that's been tested for portable power applications by UL.

• Members

The

• Members

Can work IF it's the listed "plastic" boxes like those that Bill posted. Generally the plastic is a glass filled engineering plastic that's been tested for portable power applications by UL.

I was referring to the daisy chain. Most codes don't allow a extension cord with an Edison plug to be plugged into another extension cord.

• Members

The Hubbell Wiring 4-PLEX Portable Box, which would be used for a gang box on an extension cord, is not UL listed. Be careful with that, to make sure you don't get snipped for it. The lit says since its used in extension cord applications, the UL listing does not apply. Make sure you clarify and okay that locally. Taking these spec sheets to your building department would quickly resolve that.

• Members

These are the best in MHO. They can be part of a stringer or simply made with 6" male and female tails. With outlets on both sides you don't have cables sticking up in the air.

3TD.jpg

WOW. Those would be awesome for my FOH. Get about 20' between them and I have all the power I need for lights and powered stacks. Those are incredible. I love how they can lay flat and not have the cords sticking straight up. Any idea of the cost?

• Members

I was referring to the daisy chain. Most codes don't allow a extension cord with an Edison plug to be plugged into another extension cord.

I don't recall this in the NEC, specifically the articles that apply to theatres and fairs/convention grounds.

• Members

The Hubbell Wiring 4-PLEX Portable Box, which would be used for a gang box on an extension cord, is not UL listed. Be careful with that, to make sure you don't get snipped for it. The lit says since its used in extension cord applications, the UL listing does not apply. Make sure you clarify and okay that locally. Taking these spec sheets to your building department would quickly resolve that.

My info shows a UL listing as a portable power device component. Has this changed?

• Members

I don't recall this in the NEC, specifically the articles that apply to theatres and fairs/convention grounds.

I don't know what the NEC has to say on this. I am going by a local fire marshal who referenced the UL tag on extension cords and the UL white book on relocatable power taps. I found it here.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=124356

I checked some audio forums on the web to see if he was nuts. I found a number of discussions of people Daisy chaining powerstrips for classes and for laptops around a conference table (Not exactly the same thing as extension cords) These people were writing because they were told they couldn't do it.

I solved the problem with this. http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/power-electrical-distribution/default/power-linktm

• Members

I don't know what the NEC has to say on this. I am going by a local fire marshal who referenced the UL tag on extension cords and the UL white book on relocatable power taps. I found it here.

I checked some audio forums on the web to see if he was nuts. I found a number of discussions of people Daisy chaining powerstrips for classes and for laptops around a conference table (Not exactly the same thing as extension cords) These people were writing because they were told they couldn't do it.

That's correct, at least in TX where outlet strips are concerned... They pop our folks here for daisy chained outlet strips in the cubes during inspections. Furthermore as they have explained you can daisy chain extension cords, but if they are of different gauges you have to count the lowest gauge for the current rating of the chain (which makes total sense), but daisy chaining outlet strips is a no no, at least for TX code.

• Members

That's correct, at least in TX where outlet strips are concerned... They pop our folks here for daisy chained outlet strips in the cubes during inspections. Furthermore as they have explained you can daisy chain extension cords, but if they are of different gauges you have to count the lowest gauge for the current rating of the chain (which makes total sense), but daisy chaining outlet strips is a no no, at least for TX code.

• Members

Chaining portable power taps together is generally against the listing but the key info in this is the catagory that the product is listed under. You can link extension cords together without problem (there are some exceptions regarding minimum lengths inder some conditions) and boxes with ins and outs can receive UL listing under some portable power products catagories. There may be a requirement for the use of a locking connector (L series) but I just unloaded 2 pallets of Hubbell devices just like what was mentioned on a state job and there was a UL file number on the box.

• Members

Here's what I found. Not listed if used in portable cord applications. See the note with the portable box description:

Those aren't the product line I was thinking of. I wouldn't imagine they could pass the UL mechanical test on the recept. insert. The ones I was thinking of were under the Hubbell Industrial line. They may be under a different name now due to consolidation. Vinny may know about this.

• Members

Chaining portable power taps together is generally against the listing but the key info in this is
the catagory that the product is listed under
. You can link extension cords together without problem (there are some exceptions regarding minimum lengths inder some conditions) and boxes with ins and outs can receive UL listing under some portable power products catagories. There may be a requirement for the use of a locking connector (L series) but I just unloaded 2 pallets of Hubbell devices just like what was mentioned on a state job and there was a UL file number on the box.

That goes a long way to explain why the whirlwind system is UL Listed. Boxes with locking ins and outs (Powercon)

• Members

Those aren't the product line I was thinking of. I wouldn't imagine they could pass the UL mechanical test on the recept. insert. The ones I was thinking of were under the Hubbell Industrial line. They may be under a different name now due to consolidation. Vinny may know about this.

I found the Specification grade and Hospital grade 15 and 20 amp . The literature for them carries the same note

Notes: 4-PLEX box is not UL listed. UL listing does not apply when 4-PLEX receptacle

is used with 4-PLEX box in extension cord application.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/catalogpages/section-a.pdf

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/catalogpages/H5254.pdf

I would like to know what you have. I may have use for some.

• Members

I found the Specification grade and Hospital grade 15 and 20 amp . The literature for them carries the same note

Notes: 4-PLEX box is not UL listed. UL listing does not apply when 4-PLEX receptacle

is used with 4-PLEX box in extension cord application.

I would like to know what you have. I may have use for some.

Something along thses lines, but in black. They are in the industrial/construction products lines.

http://www.stayonline.com/documents/2872-pdf.pdf

• Members

Word of caution on this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pack-of-12...#ht_500wt_1282

The seller was non-responsive on a tranaction that shouldn't have occured, where there was an error of some sort. They refused to answer any e-mails, I was able to resolve it through eBay no problem, but this shows me the level of service and support that's likely from the seller if something were to be defective with the product. Buyer beware.

• Members

Hey! Thanks for all of this great info. I've been thinking of making some custom ext's because I hate the mess of orange ext's all over the stage. I hadn't heard of not being able to daisy chain ext cord and boxes etc.

Some of the places we play could be fined for the wiriing they have outside. Boxes are falling apart, some outlets don't work etc. I don't like it so that was one of the reasons I'm starting to look at making/buying some good extensions.

Archived