Spiffy backline multi outlet extension cords...

• Members

Dunno if you guys have seen these things, but I have a couple of them and they're excellent.

127991.jpg

I've got all active FOH & wedges, so I run one of these across the front of the stage to power all my monitor mixes, and a second one across the back for guitar amps, pedalboards, etc.

While molded, they're 12AWG, extremely heavy duty (outside of the little outlet covers which detach a bit too easily, you could probably run over them with a tank and have to send the tank back for repair). The outlets are lighted. They're about $60-75 a pop from the online vendors, although I got mine from these guys off flea bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pack-of-12-gauge-50-Multi-Outlet-Black-Extension-Cords-with-LEDs-/261048442709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc7b31f55#ht_500wt_1282

They've been through half a festival season without any issues thus far, and everyone who has seen them has asked where they can get them.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used some of those a couple of weeks ago on a stage as you describe. I think they are pretty good for what you'r getting, though I was wishing the outlets were closer to one another.

While the concept on the distributed outlet cord is good - quad boxes are typically a much better option. Generally equipment is clustered and the quad boxes provide a better solution (at least for me).

• Members

they do work fantasticly for front monitor mixes, but never have enough for backline. we've built a few quad box versions, 12 ft of cable, a box, ten ft, a box, ten more ft, and a final box. just have to make sure not to load it down to far, but it works great for keyboardists not smart enough to bring there own power strips for multikeyboard rigs..or pedal boards and amps and all in one spot.

a past client of mine used the ones the op posted, putting a power strip on each plug..just one of the many things he did that made me decide to not work with that band anymore..that seems pretty unsafe to me because it gives the false impression that lots of things can be plugged in safely.

• Members

They make different sizes of cables. They make a 6pk of 30ft 6plug cables. Would be perfect for a small to medium stage backline IMHO. I actually may pick a pack up for my rig, run two front for monitors, and two back for backline, then probably use the rest for lighting.

• Members

Yup. However, even with the steep shipping (which isn't all that steep as these suckers are HEAVY), they're still cheaper here than other places at $65-75 a pop + shipping. I've also got a mess of their 25" 10AWG normal extensions they were selling a while back, and again, even with the shipping I couldn't find an equivalent delivered from elsewhere for anywhere near that.

• Members

I have some similar to that I paid $5 each for on Christmas closeout at Lowes a couple years back. Mine are 24' with an outlet every 8 feet which are better lengths for the stages I do. They are dark green and "only" 14 gauge though. I picked up some closeout green three wire "cube taps" that I leave on each outlet so each cord has 12 outlets. I suppose an AHJ (and some of you ;)) would crap his pants over them though LOL .

• Members

I have some similar to that I paid $5 each for on Christmas closeout at Lowes a couple years back. Mine are 24' with an outlet every 8 feet which are better lengths for the stages I do. They are dark green and "only" 14 gauge though. I picked up some closeout green three wire "cube taps" that I leave on each outlet so each cord has 12 outlets. I suppose an AHJ (and some of you
;)
) would crap his pants over them though LOL .

I have similar dark green one but it's the thickest cord I've ever seen for any type of extension cord.

• Members

Dunno if you guys have seen these things, but I have a couple of them and they're excellent.

127991.jpg

I've got all active FOH & wedges, so I run one of these across the front of the stage to power all my monitor mixes, and a second one across the back for guitar amps, pedalboards, etc.

While molded, they're 12AWG, extremely heavy duty (outside of the little outlet covers which detach a bit too easily, you could probably run over them with a tank and have to send the tank back for repair). The outlets are lighted. They're about $60-75 a pop from the online vendors, although I got mine from these guys off flea bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pack-of-12-gauge-50-Multi-Outlet-Black-Extension-Cords-with-LEDs-/261048442709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc7b31f55#ht_500wt_1282

They've been through half a festival season without any issues thus far, and everyone who has seen them has asked where they can get them.

I have two of those that I picked up at a retail salvage store (closeout and remnant stuff, not wrecked or broken stuff) in Indiana a couple of years ago. I think I only paid $15 each for them. I don't use them every time, but they're quite handy to have around when you need them.

• Members

I just went to Lowes and bought all the supplies to make a quad box set up. 50' 12 gauge cord, 4 metal quad boxes with plates and receptacles cost me 90.00. We use it all the time now, and it works great. Definately worth 90.00 and a couple of hours to put it together.

• Members

I just went to Lowes and bought all the supplies to make a quad box set up. 50' 12 gauge cord, 4 metal quad boxes with plates and receptacles cost me 90.00. We use it all the time now, and it works great. Definately worth 90.00 and a couple of hours to put it together.

What did you use for strain reliefs? How is the ground bonding done? How do you keep the covers from coming loose and the KO's from getting bent in?

• Members

These are the best in MHO. They can be part of a stringer or simply made with 6" male and female tails. With outlets on both sides you don't have cables sticking up in the air.

3TD.jpg

That looks nice, Bill. Is that an item you carry for sale, or is it only for you to use in making your custom cables? Mark C.

• Members

Okay, I like this box idea. What if you add the outdoor-grade duplex covers with the gasketed flip-open lids?

I also like the idea of the box being individualized, so you can first locate them where you'll need them, then run simple 12/2 extension cords between each box. That's modular, repeatable, and quite dead simple.

And get extension cords with yellow shrink tubing cut 3" long and installed every 6" so it's bumblebee safety yellow/black. Visible, safe, and you'll notice if someone unplugs it to shift things around or steal them.

Archived