Fender Cusotm Shop Relics too realistic?

6down1togo

• Members

I was just over at TGP and had a good laugh over some posters complaining that their Fender Custom Shop relics were "over-reliced". Hardware screw heads were intentionally snapped off or screw slots buggered up to look the part and one guy couldn't set up his Strat because the bridge saddles and screws were rusted and could not be turned. Y'all love those relics, right?

• Members

I own a July '99 Nocaster Relic. I purchased it at Gruhn's Guitars in '06 because it was the best Tele I have ever played... an opinion I still have. I have no earthly idea why the original owner let it out of his grasp. It is a VERY responsive instrument. It is exciting to play.

I did not purchase the guitar to masquerade as if I owned a decades old collector's piece. However I do believe that the factory "wear" lends itself to the responsiveness and tone of the instrument. One of the biggest things that appealed to me about my Nocaster is the finish wear on the back of the neck and on the fretboard. One of the biggest drawbacks of the '52 Reissue Teles back then was the sticky feel of the finish on the neck. My Nocaster is "worn" to bare wood in the most played areas. It is like a favorite pair of broken-in bluejeans.

While there is cosmetic rust in strategic locations, no part has any compromised functionality. I will concede that my overall opinion of my Nocaster would be very different if adjustment were impossible due to over-buggered screws or if rust had locked parts together. I would consider a guitar like that broken.

So yeah, at least in my case I love my Relic. It is the only Relic I own and I have not shopped for another. I was not shopping for a Relic when I tried out the one I purchased, but it was an exceptional guitar. I purchased it because of how good a guitar it is, not because it is a Relic.

• Members
Hardware screw heads were intentionally snapped off or screw slots buggered up to look the part and one guy couldn't set up his Strat because the bridge saddles and screws were rusted and could not be turned.

Oh man, if true, that's classic. :lol:

• Members
Stripped truss rod threads and rewiring with mains cable would really make the relic experience I feel.

Meanwhile Fender could employ this guy to give the paint that patina of use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENCORE-SG-...item339fb0de86

Someone needs to "learn" that artiste in the basics of realistic relicing.

Looks like he took a belt sander to it and closed his eyes while sanding.

Archived