Turbosound Milan MI5 vs Yamaha DXR15 vs FBT Promaxx 14a?

• Members

There is a big difference in price between the DSR112 and the FBT Promaxx 14A.

Check RMC Audio for prices. You can get the DSR112 from RMC for the same price the DXR12 sells for on eBay.

I don't know about anyone else but RMC has a 30+ day B.O. on the 14A as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In case you missed it here's a recent thread from a Promaxx user:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2904159-Moving-On-from-QSC-Hpr122.-What-should-I-go-for.&highlight=fbt+promaxx

You might try to get hold of him because is sounds like he decided not to keep them. His concerns seemed to be with high end detail compared to his HPRs however - not sheer output or low end.

On paper these should blow the socks off of your Eons, which is what that article link put up by Abzurd concluded.

I'm unable to compare these where I live.

So are we. Turbosound and FBT are practically non-existent brands here in the States, and that's where most of this forum lives.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok tried out the Turbosound Milan MI5s vs the Yamaha DXR15's. I put keys, bass, vocals and backing tracks through each of them. I put everything through a Presonus Studiolive with everything set flat.

I tried the Turbosounds first with the backing tracks and my initial thoughts were they sounded really good and clearly a big step up from my old EON 15G2's! There was more clarity and bass extension. Next I tried the same backing track through the Yamaha's and initially there was more detail and clarity. One way I could tell this is by the sympathetic resonance and the hammer noise of acoustic piano sounds. I can hear this clearly in the studio and through high quality headphones but this never came across on my JBL EON 15G2's and was barely audible on the Turbosounds! The Yamaha's sounded much more like I'm used to hearing in the studio and through headphones!

The next thing I tried was bass guitar and the Yamaha's presented a big fat bottom end with lots of string/fret detail and the Turbosounds maybe went a fraction lower but the detail was lost.

Finally I tried a female vocalist on a Sennheiser E935 through both sets and again the Yamahas had the most clarity and presence without sounding harsh!

After I tried all these sources I then tried a bass guitar again this time to hear how much these speakers could be driven! I tried the Yamaha's first and I kept turning them up and the limiter light didn't even flicker. We got to the point where our ears good cope and gave up. They just kept pumping out a big sound and we couldn't get the limiters to kick in.

Next I tried the Turbosounds with the same test. The limiters on the Turbosounds kicked in quite early and the speakers were struggling and started to chuff a little. I didn't turn them up any louder as I didn't feel confident they would have coped.

Verdict - The Yamaha's offer outstanding quality and cheaper than the competition AND with a 7 year warranty. They could louder and sound clearer than any portable active speaker I've tried to date. They also offer an extremely impressive full range sound and can go really deep!

I've been so impressed with the Yamaha's that I'm not sure I'll even bother trying the FBT's. For a start, I'm not expecting a 14inch speaker to produce the bottom end fullness of the Yamaha's 15 inch speaker. Also, the FBT's don't offer no where near the warranty (1 year I think) of the Yamaha's 7 year warranty. The only thing that is tempting me about the FBT's is the fact that they are lighter. Hmmmm!!??

• Members

Ok tried out the Turbosound Milan MI5s vs the Yamaha DXR15's. I put keys, bass, vocals and backing tracks through each of them. I put everything through a Presonus Studiolive with everything set flat.

I tried the Turbosounds first with the backing tracks and my initial thoughts were they sounded really good and clearly a big step up from my old EON 15G2's! There was more clarity and bass extension. Next I tried the same backing track through the Yamaha's and initially there was more detail and clarity. One way I could tell this is by the sympathetic resonance and the hammer noise of acoustic piano sounds. I can hear this clearly in the studio and through high quality headphones but this never came across on my JBL EON 15G2's and was barely audible on the Turbosounds! The Yamaha's sounded much more like I'm used to hearing in the studio and through headphones!

The next thing I tried was bass guitar and the Yamaha's presented a big fat bottom end with lots of string/fret detail and the Turbosounds maybe went a fraction lower but the detail was lost.

Finally I tried a female vocalist on a Sennheiser E935 through both sets and again the Yamahas had the most clarity and presence without sounding harsh!

After I tried all these sources I then tried a bass guitar again this time to hear how much these speakers could be driven! I tried the Yamaha's first and I kept turning them up and the limiter light didn't even flicker. We got to the point where our ears good cope and gave up. They just kept pumping out a big sound and we couldn't get the limiters to kick in.

Next I tried the Turbosounds with the same test. The limiters on the Turbosounds kicked in quite early and the speakers were struggling and started to chuff a little. I didn't turn them up any louder as I didn't feel confident they would have coped.

Verdict - The Yamaha's offer outstanding quality and cheaper than the competition AND with a 7 year warranty. They could louder and sound clearer than any portable active speaker I've tried to date. They also offer an extremely impressive full range sound and can go really deep!

I've been so impressed with the Yamaha's that I'm not sure I'll even bother trying the FBT's. For a start, I'm not expecting a 14inch speaker to produce the bottom end fullness of the Yamaha's 15 inch speaker. Also, the FBT's don't offer no where near the warranty (1 year I think) of the Yamaha's 7 year warranty. The only thing that is tempting me about the FBT's is the fact that they are lighter. Hmmmm!!??

• Members

I've been recommending the DXR15s since they first came out and I had the pleasure of testing/reviewing them. They are the best sounding and performing active 15s I've heard. Ideal for DJs (and small bands/one man shows with backing tracks) who don't want to carry subs with them to their smaller gigs but still want a nice and full sound. The entire DXR line is excellent and likely the best you can get in this price range. The processing is extremely transparent - especially compared to my NX55Ps (for example) and it is very tough to actually get those limit lights to flicker due to this powerful processing. Can't beat the mixer section either. Great job Yamaha!

Al

• Members

and the DSR is a step up
;)

When it comes to DSRS115 vs DXR15 - if I was offered a pair for free - I would likely choose the DXR15 for my applications. It simply sounds better to me out of the box (with playback music) and the mixer section is a big plus for me. Although the components and finish in the DSR are better and they will get louder, I honestly don't need such high SPL levels and found the DSR's out of box sound not quite as pleasing as what I heard through the DXRs. Both sounded great of course, I personally preferred the DXRs. They also seemed to have slightly better low frequency extension - going surprisingly deep (with the D-contour activated) for such a compact 15'' cabinet. Although this is done through processing, it is quite impressive.

Al

• Members

The D-contour also requires more power which reduces the available SPL, it's part of the tradeoff.

If the features of the DXR are important to you and you don't need the higher SPL and better fit/finish of the DSR then it's a good choice. For me, it's not a good choice.

• Members

The D-contour also requires more power which reduces the available SPL, it's part of the tradeoff.

If the features of the DXR are important to you and you don't need the higher SPL and better fit/finish of the DSR then it's a good choice. For me, it's not a good choice.

The DSR goes lower than the DXR and goes louder. The default tuning of the DXR is simply more bass heavy.... and it will run out of gas earlier.

If the default tuning for DJ music is more important to you (and you can't adjust the DSR to your liking with a parametric or graphic eq) or if the lighter weight of the DXR ( 50 vs 62 lbs) is very important to you, or if the price difference (800 vs 1000) is critical to you than pick the DXR15.

The specs are below:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/speakers/active_speakers/dxr/dxr15/?mode=model

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/dsr_series/specifications.jsp

Specs only get you so far. I own the DSR112's and according to the spec, my speakers should nearly keep up with the DSR115's. I can tell you for a fact that the DSR115 simply blows the doors off of the DSR112 with respect to the bottom end. It is night and day ..... which you can't see from the spec, but your ears will tell you right away.

Either Yamaha will blow the doors totally off the EON ;)

• Members

If you look at the frequency response graphs for both cabinets, they both certainly have a very strong response from 60-100hz. The deeper frequencies (45-60hz) are slightly better with the D-contour off (for some reason) on the DSR while the DXR does better with the D-Contour activated at these low frequencies. It actually goes down to 45hz at -10DB with the D-Countour active (and 50hz at -3DB), but the specs are probably not taking the processing into account. These deep notes will be rolled off as the volume increases and processing kicks in. Both cabs are obviously really good full range powered cabinets. :thu:

Al

Archived