Turbosound Milan MI5 vs Yamaha DXR15 vs FBT Promaxx 14a?

• Members

Hi,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my current pair of JBL EON 15G2's to use with live bands. I would like to be able to put a reasonable amount of kick, bass, 4x vocals, keys and guitar. I would also like to add trumpet and sax on occasions.

I have been doing this quite successfully with my EON15G2's for a few years but would like more power, clarity and bass without having to use subs (if possible). The maximum weight I want to be carrying is around 20-22kg.

I have tried the new JBL EON 515XT's but found that these didn't have as much bass extension as the older EON 15G2's (though on paper the are quoted to be the same). They also didn't cope as well at higher volumes of bass and suffered from a little port noise.

I've been doing quite a bit of research and have shortlisted the following within my rough budget

• Members

You won't hit 130 dB (thankfully) with any of the speakers you listed. I haven't heard the Promaxx, but have seen reviews that indicated it is not as loud as the Himaxx models. Between the Milan and the Yamaha I would choose the Yamaha. I don't know what EV pricing is like where you are but the ZXA5 would be a good choice.

• Members

Interesting, in that shootout article the Promaxx was actually noted for output.... "the maximum levels reached is amazing considering the modest proportions of the box". While I know numbers aren't always apples to apples, it's the loudest of the 8 boxes in the test and is listed as louder than the EV ZXA5 by 2 dB. It was also given high marks for phase - "the phase response is perfect". The article wasn't all press release fluff. They listed pros and cons on every box and the FBT was the only box to have no "cons". They just said "no regrets". To be fair the EV's only knocks were high weight relative to the other boxes tested and the steep price tag. They liked both very much, but gave the edge to the FBT on price and weight versus performance.

• Members

OP, why not add subs? That will give you more control over the tops and give the low end some much needed "umph". I used to use the EON15G2. They are loud and a pretty decent box for the price but no way do they "really" handle bass and kick. Keep those and add a sub to see what you think.

Full bands in rooms up to 250 at 130+ dbs? Keep the G2s and add subs. I don't see you achieving what you want any other way.

• Members

Thanks for the replies so far.

The FBT 14a's are certainly very appealing! The EV ZXA5's are out of my budget unfortunately.

Does anyone know how the FBT14a's compare to the Turbosound Milans or Yamaha DXR15s?

There is a rough video of a very rough shootout between the FBT 14a's, RCF 725a's and the Turbosound Milans here :-

Whilst this is by far not a particularly accurate test the FBT's seem to have more bass and clarity?

• Members

OP, why not add subs? That will give you more control over the tops and give the low end some much needed "umph". I used to use the EON15G2. They are loud and a pretty decent box for the price but no way do they "really" handle bass and kick. Keep those and add a sub to see what you think.

Full bands in rooms up to 250 at 130+ dbs? Keep the G2s and add subs. I don't see you achieving what you want any other way.

I actually have the EON 518s subs already to go with my EON 15G2's but don't really want to have to carry subs around anymore. I'm not expecting ANY 2way speaker to produce as much bass as an 18inch sub but for what we've been doing my EON15 G2's have done amazingly well and kick and bass has sounded surprisingly good through these!

For the majority of our gigs we only use the tops as these are for around 100-150 people. On a couple of occasions I found that my rig (with subs) was possibly not quite up to the job and we're hiring a pa company to do those gigs this year. Pretty much all of the other gigs have been borderline to needing a sub so I'm thinking a better pair of tops with higher SPL and better bass response would probably do us!

• Members

Rereading your initial post..... If you're up for a bit more heft and "almost subs" performance, you may want to at least try and hear the JBL PRX635. If you're near an area with a chain music store there's a good chance they have them available to audition. I heard the 535's at an outdoor fundraiser used by a DJ at moderate volumes and they sounded impressive. Nice bass response and clear as a bell over a large area. As a 1 box FOH solution they'd fit well for a lot of bands. I wouldn't mind trying them myself actually just to satisfy my curiosity. At 3 feet tall and 60 lbs, it's a 2 man job, but they are stand mountable. And 60 lbs is pretty darn light all things considered and it won't break the bank either.

• Members

and reasonably high volumes 130db+?

Thanks

Do you have any idea how loud this is, or how it's measured?

This is the most important piece of information and misunderstanding this makes every other discussion point immaterial.

• Members

Do you have any idea how loud this is, or how it's measured?

This is the most important piece of information and misunderstanding this makes every other discussion point immaterial.

To be honest I going from the fact that my JBL EON 15G2's have a max SPL of 129db. On occasions I've had these turned up to around 75% and didn't want to try turning them up any more in case I damaged them. So really what I'm saying is something that's capable of going louder than these.

• Members

To be honest I going from the fact that my JBL EON 15G2's have a max SPL of 129db. On occasions I've had these turned up to around 75% and didn't want to try turning them up any more in case I damaged them. So really what I'm saying is something that's capable of going louder than these.

That's a more useful requirement, because the number is generally a calculated value based on 1 M away from the speaker which isn't really useful in practical applications. Additionally, disperssion patterns as well as real world operation (think power compression) can skew this greatly.

Both of these are (real world) improvements on the EON: (RCF TTA25s, EV ZXA5s) as is the QSC K-12, the PRX-612 or 615.

• Members

Thanks. The EV ZXA5's are out of my budget and the QSC K12 are only 12 inch speakers so I wouldn't feel confident putting a lot of kick and bass through these at higher volumes.

I've considered the JBL PRX615's but know people who say that the FBT's, Yamaha's and Turbosound speakers are better!?

• Members

You should go to GC and give the Yamaha DXR15's and DSR115's a listen. These speakers have some serious bottom end for 15" speakers. camplg's suggestions area also good. Listen to these while you are there.

• Members

But overall, the DXR is nowhere near the speaker that the DSR is performance-wise.

I think the DSR, KW and PRX are all 3 very close.

Speaking of close, Yamaha did themselves a disservice by making their model names so similar. I still don't know the difference in the models (DXR vs. DSR).

• Members

I do agree the DSRs offer more performance than the DXRs, but please do not compare the DXRs to Eons. The DXRs sound much nicer than any Eon I've heard... (I haven't heard the newer XT? models however) Maybe the QSC Ks would be a better comparison? (they look like them and have very similar features)

Al

Archived