String gauge on a FloydRose

theDogger

• Members

Well I bought a used 2001 Ibanez 270DX in great shape, I realize that this might not be the best for my first Floyd . It has a Licensed FloyRose in it.

I am use to playing fixed bridges with strings from 10-52 and 12-56 drop tune of course.

So with the floyd what would be the heaviest strings or am I better off staying at 9-46 or 10-46? This will be kept in standard tune maybe drop-d

theDogger

• Members

Doesn't matter, you just have to refloat each gauge, or brand, change. Seeing as how this is your first, I suggest either purchasing a Floyd Rose Key or blocking the trem level with picks and adjusting the hanger. I've used just about every gauge and brand in mine from 9-42s to 12-60s, Boomers, DRs, Markleys, etc.... If you tune to where the fine tuners are only half way adjusted, and only locking after proper stretching, you can easily drop tune with the fine tuner. I leave the top lock off most of the time for his and have never had an issue provided I have a good wind on the pegs with at least three wraps, no more than four or you're asking for slippage. I only change strings one at a time, always. Unless I'm cleaning

And if I'm changing brand or gauge I float as I go, but I've been doing this a while. If you cut all six at one time, with this being your first, free up an evening.

Floyd's are by far the best double locking trem, though some models of ibanez used a different licensed Floyd for a while that had some string block issues. Hopefully not yours, you'll know if the strings don't want to seat properly at the bridge.

This issue can be corrected by picking up a licensed Floyd from an esp or BC rich, or retro'ing in an Original. GFS has a Really good quality licensed Floyd as well

First things first though - Congrats! You should have many years of Divebombing and Whammying Creamy goodness. It sounds Like a bunch of work, but once you get the hang of it, its easy and Definitely worth a little more effort! :thu::thu:

Side note - currently, I'm running DR Pure Blues 12-52s and tuned to dropped G#

Archived