I may have to reevaluate my import amp prejudice

wankdeplank

• Members
Wow, I had no idea that across the board, Chinese made amps had such a good track record. Grats for the input fellas, I hear that VHT calling my name.

Why shouldn't something made in China be good?

Apple makes all their stuff in China. TVs, computers, etc. are all made in China.

90% of auto parts in cars are made in China.

The US military gets parts from China.

China makes all kinds of high tech products including fighter aircraft, missiles and space vehicles.

Do you actually believe they cannot make something as simple as a guitar amplifier or an electric guitar?

The catch is you have to buy quality if you want quality.

• Members

You're right of course, Virg, but is that all musical instruments are - just consumer goods? We know that China is great at turning out product at a good price, but that consumer line approach often has ramifications for musical instruments IMO. I mean the old line luthiers and amp makers were all about matching woods and other components for tonal reasons. I guess for me, I associate China made amps with PCB boards and when there's a problem (as there tends to be with mass-produced product), it's just a whole lot more difficult to fix. I guess that's why I like the idea of these handwired Special 6 amps even though they are assembly line produced.

• Members
You're right of course, Virg, but is that all musical instruments are - just consumer goods? We know that China is great at turning out product at a good price, but that consumer line approach often has ramifications for musical instruments IMO. I mean the old line luthiers and amp makers were all about matching woods and other components for tonal reasons. I guess for me, I associate China made amps with PCP boards and when there's a problem (as there tends to be with mass-produced product), it's just a whole lot more difficult to fix. I guess that's why I like the idea of these handwired Special 6 amps even though they are assembly line produced.

What old-time luthiers? Leo Fender?

Leo Fender wasn't a luthier. He made mass produced, low cost cookie cutter guitars for the masses.

He used auto paint, cheaply avaiable wood, modular parts, etc.

• Members

Just to add something to the mix - PCB done properly is the best way to build an amp. Bogner is probably the best example - they use their vast experience to design them and use aircraft grade techniques to make their amps possibly the most robust AND the most consistent. You can get the manufacturing done to spec, but there's no substitution for incredible design.

• Members

I guess you could say that Leo Fender was the Henry Ford of the guitar industry, but I think some people wrongly assume that he used cost cutting measures that compromised the quality of his product. I've read that he spent a lot of time talking to professional guitar players about just what they were after. He also hired a good many very capable engineers, luthiers and guitar players to help him realize his design goals with the best possible results. You won't find any old Fenders made by Leo with improperly cured woods, pot metal parts or dirt cheap electronic components.

Archived